Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: How much weight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default How much weight?

I'm about to assemble some beadlocks with 32 screws per wheel. I'd rather not have to pull these things apart all that much to experiment with wheel weight. How much weight are you guys running in your wheels? A total tire/wheel weight would be best since all wheels are different weight. I added some weight to a rear wheel and was shocked to see 11.5 ounces with the tire. Is that heavy for a rear? I wanted the front heavier than the rear but now I'm not sure how much is too much. And this is for a crawler only wraith. No high speed bashing, just crawling.
dunerinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: How much weight?

You're never going to get it exactly correct on your first attempt as every Wraith is different. Weight of the vehicle, height of the suspension, where your electronics are mounted, type of shocks and spring rate, width and type of tire and type of foams all contribute to the equation. So, just pick a weight and go with it.

Most that I've read on here have gone with 4oz front and really no concensus on rears. My Motoworx Talons with R35 Ripsaws and Proline 2-stage foams weight 416 grams each (including 3oz of stick on weights). That's the fronts...I have no weight in the rears yet...still experimenting.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

You can try different weights and while you're at it install beadlocks with just 4 bolts per ring once you figured out which weight to use
Pabust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
You're never going to get it exactly correct on your first attempt as every Wraith is different. Weight of the vehicle, height of the suspension, where your electronics are mounted, type of shocks and spring rate, width and type of tire and type of foams all contribute to the equation. So, just pick a weight and go with it.

Most that I've read on here have gone with 4oz front and really no concensus on rears. My Motoworx Talons with R35 Ripsaws and Proline 2-stage foams weight 416 grams each (including 3oz of stick on weights). That's the fronts...I have no weight in the rears yet...still experimenting.
416 grams is 14.7 ounces so I guess I'm not far off. My wheels alone are 4 ounces. I think I'll leave the rears at 11 ounces and go for around 14-15 in the front and see how it does.
dunerinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #5

I hot mine at 14 in the front
JeffB1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post

WTH? That's a ton of weight but to each their own...I'm still running no weights with XR10 beadlocks and R35 Ripsaws in my Wraith.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

i add one full round of the great planes sticky weight to each front and then drive it around and see what the tipping point is. then i add weight to fronts and rears until the truck does what i want it to...one of my scx 10 scalers scared a buddy of mine because of how much it weighed and im still not done. my electronics never overheat and i run just abount anywhere i want with it. every rig has its limits as to where it will go but like what was mentioned before there are so many variables involved that it will take alot of trial and error or you can get lucky and get it right the first time. pabust has a good tip to just run 4 bolts in each beadlock ring until you have the right balance.....just wish i figured that out with my first rig
DroopysGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
WTH? That's a ton of weight but to each their own...I'm still running no weights with XR10 beadlocks and R35 Ripsaws in my Wraith.
The Motoworx wheels are nice and heavy to start with. Just the wheels with R35's weigh 330g (11.6oz). Another reason I haven't added any weight to the rears. 3oz in each of the fronts gets my vehicle F/R weight ratio right about the 55/45 mark.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I'm running 3oz. in each front wheel, R35 compound on Axial beadlock wheels. That made a difference, but not as much as when I moved my 6000 mah hard case lipo to the front. I have no weight in the rear. Just remember you have to find a balance because the more weight you add, the more you're going to stress your motor and entire drive train.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I run no weight in my wraith wheels. It is a crawler/jumper setup and will crawl very well without the weight and is very stable in side hill situations. I have the battery very low and suspension worked out really well. Good luck with your quest.
winkscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #11
RCC Addict

my fronts weigh in at just over 17oz and my rears at 7.5oz. its just a crawler so it works great
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote

How much weight? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel weight / axle weight advice JeffK11 RC4WD Bully 6 03-15-2012 03:30 PM
Wheel weight Vs Axle weight. Simon.O. General Crawlers 33 02-15-2010 07:01 PM
Wheel weight vs. chassis weight ratio OR spung/unsprung bias solomon7 Tires and Wheels 15 08-02-2008 06:26 PM
Stampede Tranny Weight VS R2 Weight BrandonW General Crawlers 5 08-08-2007 07:37 PM