Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith lockers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #81
PapaGriz Yo

Default Re: Wraith lockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc crawler boy View Post
Ordered 2 with some VVD's to go along with them.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #82
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc crawler boy View Post
got my fair share....these are gonna be a hot commodity
Crawlster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev0l View Post
Man I can't wait for these bad boys
Ask....and ye shall receive! lol

Man they look sick! Innovative design also!
ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #84
RCC Addict

you guys are going to love the new lockers ive been beating the hell out of them for a while now and no slop at all
VP Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Just ordered a couple!!! Oh Hell Yeah!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #86
RcBros Hobbies

Wish I could afford these before NW Scale Champs... Looks nice!
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:32 AM   #87
Rock Crawler

I just got a set of VP lockers today and took a few shots compared to the Felsenfest. They center up very very easy.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347434139.739396.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  62.5 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347434155.608024.jpg
Views: 1666
Size:  69.5 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347434173.073700.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  63.4 KB
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Does the setscrews on the VP spool rest directly against the axleshafts? Or is there a plate they push against, and the plate rides against the axles?

Do the VP spools only have setscrews on one side and the inner steel portion just "floats" in the center of the aluminum housing once everything is tightened?

I know the setscrews on the Felsenfests only rest halfway on the ends of the Axial Universals, which in my case always results in loosening setscrews and mangled axleshaft ends. I run the Felsenfest spools in three other trucks without issue, but when run in a brushless Wraith they won't stay together for even a couple packs. And yes, I am OCD about clean metals and letting the Red loc-tite cure.

Destroyed three sets of axles so far and even one Felsenfest spool, so I'm looking for a long term solution. I haven't "broken" an Axial universal joint yet, but I've worn out two sets in a year to where they had enough slop to destroy the wheel bearings in a few packs.

For a while I was running the stock sintered spool JB Welded to the stock diff case, but I kept rounding out the center of the sintered mini spool.

Can anyone tell me if the Vanquish VVD's are any longer than the Axial Universals? Longer axles would allow the Felsenfest setscrews to properly contact the axle and eliminate my loosening setscrew issue.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #89
Rock Crawler

The VP Lockers only have set screws on one side. I found I can not tighten them down. You just set them very close to the axle to get no binding. I do run VP axles up front this way but changed back to the felsenfest for the rear locker. I couldn't get the set screws to hardly touch the rear axle on my Wraith. I later bought felsenfest one piece 5mm axle. Problem solved. But the front, still keeping an eye out for making it better.
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #90
Metal shaper

The VVDs are longer than the universals on the tangs. You will get full engagement with them inside the locker.
CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

In the rear I bought some sweet titanium axles from CreeperBob!! He makes them with longer tangs so they engage fully into the locker. I am super happy with them so far.

Front I have the Vanquish VVDs and they are perfect!
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #92
Pebble Pounder

I'm running the ROC 412 on 3s and stripped 2 HR uni lockers in my front axle. Both lockers rounded out on the long shaft side. Has it been determined that the VP locker is the best? I've heard about another one called the last locker, anyone have experience with that one?
captainp243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #93
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainp243 View Post
I'm running the ROC 412 on 3s and stripped 2 HR uni lockers in my front axle. Both lockers rounded out on the long shaft side. Has it been determined that the VP locker is the best? I've heard about another one called the last locker, anyone have experience with that one?

Damn, I just bought the HR uni lockers and I have the same set up as you. I hope I didn't waste my money. Maybe I should return them and just get the vanquish lockers...
ka1fornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #94
Rock Crawler

I've got a pair of Grip Fab V2 spools in my rig, awesome fit, better than the HR ones, IMO.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #95
Pebble Pounder

I just don't know man. The first I thought was a fluke, but after waiting 7 days on the second one and not even getting a full pack out of it, I'm kind of pissed. I will be emailing them with pictures to see if they can remedy my situation, but in the meantime I'm going to go with a different brand. Either Locked Up, Last Locker or VP.
captainp243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:35 AM   #96
RCC Addict

I am running 2 VP lockers in one rig and have had no issues with them and I have 3 other rigs I am running the Grip-Fab V2 SS spools in and so far I am really liking them. Grip-Fab is also now coming out with a V3 ARB SS locker that should be just as good also. The only issue I have had with the felenfest lockers is with the Wraith tangs not being long enough for them to get a good bite on them. Its not the lockers fault but axials for the short tangs on the axle shafts.

For price and ease of install I vote the Grip-Fab spools.
I have seen the new Locked up lockers but have no idea on them since I have not used them but he usually has good stuff and they are suppose to be hardened steel so they should last and def be better that aluminum stuff just not as light.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Inc View Post
I've got a pair of Grip Fab V2 spools in my rig, awesome fit, better than the HR ones, IMO.
Nice piece of machining. I think this is great product. I'm surprised that know one has posted this one.

GripFab "Grip-Lok" V2-SS Spool - Super Shafty
BentMetaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #98
Scale Detail Engineering

The GripFab Spools are awesome!
He's coming out with an ARB licensed one too!
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #99
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAT2011 View Post
Nice piece of machining. I think this is great product. I'm surprised that know one has posted this one.

GripFab "Grip-Lok" V2-SS Spool - Super Shafty
These may be my favorite lockers so far. I have had the Felsenfest lockers, the Generis (GCM) Racing lockers, the VP lockers, and the GripFab Grip-Lock Lockers. If memory serves me well, the GCM and GripFab grub screws are much closer to the edge (and can therefore get more tang) than the Felsenfest and VP lockers. This REALLY matters if you use the Axial CVD's. I've stripped the tangs on every short side Axial CVD I've ever owned, and a couple on the long side as well. Why Axial made the CVD's shorter than the total length of the stock dog bones is a mystery to me...

Regardless of what locker you choose, I would STRONGLY suggest going with CreeperBob's Ti Shafts on non-steering axles (I would also suggest requesting the tangs to be extended 2mm), and VP VVD's on steering axles.

Last edited by TheScaleAddict; 07-11-2013 at 07:34 AM.
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #100
Metal shaper

The new locker from Locked up RC is really nice. Extra weight down low and the tightest fit on the tangs of any locker I've ever had come through the shop.

Ring gear bolted up flawless and it dropped right in. Everything is happy, happy, happy!!
CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote

Wraith lockers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replace Hr Lockers With Berg Lockers Yawzer General Crawlers 5 12-29-2008 10:51 PM