Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: "Cage" Breaking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default "Cage" Breaking

So i was messing with the Wraith today. Took my rear shocks off to rebuild the leaky SOB`s and found it broke

The first one you can see right in front of the shock the whole piece is missing where it screws in, and in the second pic it missing around where the wire comes down from the esc. The whole chunk is missing in both. I swear i have the worse luck with this things. Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics. Snapped them before work. So guess im have to replace some pieces and figure out a way to reinforce it some. Both of them broke right where the screws go through them.The one piece in the second pic was still hanging on for dear life before i coughed and it fell off lol.
Fanfor88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: "Cage" Breaking

I assume bashing?
irollgen4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

that sucks. If you were closer i'd give you my whole chassis since i'm going a different direction with my AR60's.
cooterwrenchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #4

If Wraiths didn't break, they wouldn't be able to sell replacement parts.

Watched a show one time about 1:1 cars and I can't imagine RC's and every other thing sold wouldn't have the same deal going on.

The show was about 1:1 vehicles from inception to death. It explained how (just using random numbers, I forget the exact numbers), but just say they spent 20 million dollars for a company to design an entire vehicle.
They then send the 20 million dollar design plans to some company in Switzerland and in turn pay them 100 million dollars (5x's design costs, sometimes more), to then take every single part and design each one to wear out or break within exact pre-determined time and use windows. Theory was, the profit is not made from selling a new car... The profit comes from selling the replacement parts.

I have a 6-wheeled AATV MaXII amphibious 6x6 ATV. The entire body is made of some sort of very strong plastic. You could take a swing at it with a 3 lb. ball-peen hammer at 20 below zero as hard as you want and it wouldn't make a mark. I have used and abused this thing to the maximum and the plastic shows no wear or breaks yet.

Now...I am sure I do not have the only product that uses a near indestructible plastic, but I often wonder when buying one of my kids a new $80 toy because the brand new one just lasted 30 seconds out of the box new, why the plastic is so weak! Why are the chassis links, axles, chubs etc... on a Wraith not made of a better plastic ....? It is all about the replacement sales I would guess?

Replacement $$$$ gotta love it

If they figured the loss of $$$$ from replacement parts in to the sale of an indestructible plastic parts built Wraith.... I doubt anyone would bother to consider purchasing one, the price would be much to high?

Last edited by THX_138; 04-17-2012 at 07:00 PM.
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i broke the same thing on mine. it dropped off a 20+ft cliff
gabehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Yeah. I broke that. https://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDeta...ctCode=AX80074.

Tried to glue it together but no go. I should have tried JB weld with metal rods.

On the upside, break and upgrade enough things and you get to the point where you have some spares

Somebody should put up a survey poll of broken wraith parts!
agent00111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
20K Club

First one I've seen like that. Pretty surprised.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

yeah shit happens bet you havin fun though huh? workin on it is half the fun!!! lets see a pic of how u fixed it
trig n tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Oh, and if you broke the tube frame rail on both sides, at least the same part number includes both sides!!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I wouldn`t say i bash it. I mean i have fun with it crawling and mudding. I dont jump it off 20 foot cliffs LOL. I dont jump it at all. I was crawling a few weekends ago and was going up some very steep rocks though and it did flip about 5 times down it. I`m guessing that`s where it broke at. When i relocated the battery to the front and took the battery tray out of the back i think that did weaken that area some though. I was working with the battery tray before work, cutting it down. Gonna install the middle part of it it between the 2 shocks to strengthen it up. Also loooking around to see what i can find and see what i can come up with,without adding alot of weight.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Cooter - That would be nice! lol
THX - if i had the $$$ to have 6 wheelers as toys i dont know if i`d be playing with RC`s
Old 04-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
First one I've seen like that. Pretty surprised.
I am pretty surprised its the first one you have seen like that.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent00111 View Post
Oh, and if you broke the tube frame rail on both sides, at least the same part number includes both sides!!!!
Nope different part numbers for left and right sides of the cage.

Axial Wraith Tube Frame Side (Left), AX80087

Axial Wraith Tube Frame Side (Right), AX80088

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
I am pretty surprised its the first one you have seen like that.
x2 LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig n tahoe View Post
yeah shit happens bet you havin fun though huh? workin on it is half the fun!!! lets see a pic of how u fixed it
Yes.

Last edited by Natedog; 04-19-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #14
Im Brandon

Looks like you're not running the battery tray in the back anymore. Thats a critical support piece tying the bottom of the frame to the upper shock mounts.

If you want to avoid that from breaking in the future install the battery tray again.

Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

The left/right rails are a different part number than the left side frame or right side frame. I almost made the mistake of buying the side frame thinking that is what broke, but I looked again and compared to the kit part manual and it's the lower rail set, not the side frame. Be sure u order the right part if u are replacing it.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Looks like you're not running the battery tray in the back anymore. Thats a critical support piece tying the bottom of the frame to the upper shock mounts.

If you want to avoid that from breaking in the future install the battery tray again.

You are right. I chopped it up and reinstalled it now though. It`s actually pretty strong considering both sides are broken. I`m gonna ride it out and not replace them until i have too. On a side note i installed a bunch of new parts i had for it. I was waiting on stuff to break that wouldnt lol. Titan motors are freakin awesome i will say that. I ended up taking it out finally, it wouldnt die. Replaced with HH 20t and BRXL. Put on my new RC4WD G-made shocks and my new RC4WD Super Swampers. Now i just need a day off to go play.

"Cage" Breaking - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IaROCK presents "Cage the Dawg" Summer Series Mad Dawg Iowa 35 07-31-2012 01:08 PM
IaROCK's "Cage the Dawg" Summer Series Mad Dawg Minnesota 0 03-19-2012 09:41 PM
My "FOFF" keeps breaking Gula Formula Offroad 29 11-04-2011 06:11 PM