Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #221
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimfire View Post
thanks, I expected that..!

I guess VP will be also in the list!
Not on my list.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #222
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
Not on my list.
May I ask why?

- slim -
slimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #223
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
May I ask why?

- slim -
The set screws are too close to the center so they don't engage the axle tangs correctly. The locked up spool is press fit and the grip fab lockers are available with the set screws in the correct position.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #224
RCC Addict

Quote:
The set screws are too close to the center so they don't engage the axle tangs correctly. The locked up spool is press fit and the grip fab lockers are available with the set screws in the correct position.
Exactly my thoughts. The vp lockers seem to be designed to work with best with the vp axles but nothing else. Also they are pretty highly priced, and could have been designed as one piece rather than two.
I think vp could do better.
[edit: ... Or update the locker to match current common axle design.]

Last edited by gbean; 10-07-2013 at 11:22 AM.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #225
Quarry Creeper

Default Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Quote:
Very interesting and helpful! I was planning on VP lockers but would like to be free to decide what CVD to use....

Do the grip fab lockers have also locking screws? .... Actually I would love to be able to lock the axle shafts into the diff locker....

- slim -
Old 10-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #226
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean View Post
Exactly my thoughts. The vp lockers seen to be designed to with best with the vp axles but nothing else. Also they are pretty highly priced, and could have been designed as one piece rather than two.
Thanks gbean!

- slim -
Old 10-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #227
20K Club

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts. The vp lockers seen to be designed to with best with the vp axles but nothing else. Also they are pretty highly priced, and could have been designed as one piece rather than two.
The issue is the design of the Axial universals were updated. If you have any of the original universals, the tangs are much longer. The updated versions are quite a bit shorter. I have a handful of both sets.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #228
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
The issue is the design of the Axial universals were updated. If you have any of the original universals, the tangs are much longer. The updated versions are quite a bit shorter. I have a handful of both sets.

Thanks Harley,

So do the VP VVD Heavy Duty Axle shafts work properly with VP's lockers? correct? they seems to be much longer than the Axial Universals...

BUT how about the rear, do the Axial standard rear shafts' length allow enough engagement to be tightened by the screws of the VP's lockers?

Thanks for the kind reply
Old 10-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #229
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks Harley,

So do the VP VVD Heavy Duty Axle shafts work properly with VP's lockers? correct? they seems to be much longer than the Axial Universals...

BUT how about the rear, do the Axial standard rear shafts' length allow enough engagement to be tightened by the screws of the VP's lockers?

Thanks for the kind reply
Yes, the vp lockers work with the front VP shafts and they work with the stock rear shafts. I just put them in mine. The grub screws grab the rear shafts closer to the end, but there is enough to work properly.
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #230
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxxed View Post
Yes, the vp lockers work with the front VP shafts and they work with the stock rear shafts. I just put them in mine. The grub screws grab the rear shafts closer to the end, but there is enough to work properly.
Thanks a lot!

- slim -
Old 10-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #231
RCC Addict

I wonder if drilling a very small detent in the axle tangs would help to hold the shaft in place and keep it from walking and wiring its way out of the hold of the grub screw? The only issue I could see is the Axial universals need a little wiggle room to align themselves with the king pin rotation axis @ the knuckle.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #232
20K Club

Quote:
The only issue I could see is the Axial universals need a little wiggle room to align themselves with the king pin rotation axis @ the knuckle.
To properly align that all you need to do is turn the knuckle and rotate the axle a little. It will put the universal joint in the correct position at that time.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #233
RCC Addict

Quote:
To properly align that all you need to do is turn the knuckle and rotate the axle a little. It will put the universal joint in the correct position at that time.
Seems simple enough, then mark the dimple spot with the grub screw out and the locker free floating in the axle housing.
I'm still leery that the dimple might make the tang weak.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #234

Hi,

I'm pretty new on the board and I'd like to start by saying thanks to Harley for all the time he spend answering all of our questions.

I'm new to the wraith world but played alot with scx10.

I'm currently building a rock bouncer/FOFF wraith and I'm lnot sure on how the AX10 transmission fits.... Do I need the extended 6mm output shaft or regular shaft? So fare All I have ordered transmission wise are the "light weight" HR steel gears.... i saw some punisher shaft that have 6mm hole would these could be a good option instead of the MIP?

Sorry about my english, it's not my first language.
t3rribleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #235
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3rribleone View Post
Hi,

I'm pretty new on the board and I'd like to start by saying thanks to Harley for all the time he spend answering all of our questions.

I'm new to the wraith world but played alot with scx10.

I'm currently building a rock bouncer/FOFF wraith and I'm lnot sure on how the AX10 transmission fits.... Do I need the extended 6mm output shaft or regular shaft? So fare All I have ordered transmission wise are the "light weight" HR steel gears.... i saw some punisher shaft that have 6mm hole would these could be a good option instead of the MIP?

Sorry about my english, it's not my first language.
Skip the punisher shafts. MIP is a much better option.

The 6mm outputs are not required, you could use the standard Wraith outputs. The larger outputs are just stronger.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #236

Default Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Quote:
Skip the punisher shafts. MIP is a much better option.

The 6mm outputs are not required, you could use the standard Wraith outputs. The larger outputs are just stronger.
Ok thanks,

I know that the ax10 and wraith share the same "bolt patern" for the transmission, but of I want to use the AX10 transmission do I take the ax10 output shaft regular lenght or wraith?? Can I still use the stock lenght wraith drive shaft or I need two different lenght drive shaft since the rear output id not located exactly st the same place?

Down the road I want to build a Bomb proof transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #237
20K Club

Quote:
Ok thanks,

I know that the ax10 and wraith share the same "bolt patern" for the transmission, but of I want to use the AX10 transmission do I take the ax10 output shaft regular lenght or wraith?? Can I still use the stock lenght wraith drive shaft or I need two different lenght drive shaft since the rear output id not located exactly st the same place?

Down the road I want to build a Bomb proof transmission.

It depends on the wheelbase of the truck you're building. If it's in the 12.5" wheelbase range than standard driveshafts will work. If it is closer to the Wraith wheelbase (14") than you will need some special shafts without the extended outputs used on the Wraith.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #238

Quote:
It depends on the wheelbase of the truck you're building. If it's in the 12.5" wheelbase range than standard driveshafts will work. If it is closer to the Wraith wheelbase (14") than you will need some special shafts without the extended outputs used on the Wraith.
I'm planing on keeping the wraith wheel base so just to make sure,

So if I'm using the ax10 trans case, I need to use the regular 6mm output and some longer special drive shaft? Any idea which drive could work???

Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #239

Quote:

So if I'm using the ax10 trans case, I need to use the regular 6mm output and some longer special drive shaft? Any idea which drive could work???

How would you build one? Because when I look at your transmission part list there's some parts that I can find IE: the extended output case???

Old 10-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #240
20K Club

Quote:

How would you build one? Because when I look at your transmission part list there's some parts that I can find IE: the extended output case???

Get a Wraith transmission case and stock Wraith ouputs. Or get a SCX/AX case and get extended outputs that I show in the parts list.

Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harley's Axial Wraith Build - Jimmy's 4x4 Ultra 4 KOH Style Harley Axial Wraith 2725 02-11-2020 07:19 AM
Wraith Beginners Guide Harley Axial Wraith 1058 06-24-2019 06:52 PM
Harley's Complete XR10 Guide Harley Axial XR10 319 07-14-2014 12:00 AM
Harley's Wraith #2 - Built for Vanquish Harley Axial Wraith 66 11-05-2012 06:17 PM
Harley's Wraith Sportsman Harley Axial Wraith 123 01-21-2012 05:35 PM