Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #281
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Might be going with Tekin ROC 412 3100kv and the following route of needed upgrades right away. Just a couple of questions. Stock tranny other than steel gears, will it be sufficient? I'm thinking about stock shaft and outputs. Hoping to get away with a cheaper solution than Gen3 Slash and SS beefy shaft. Which 32p spur fits the stock top shaft?
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2014, 05:22 AM   #282

Default Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-M View Post
Might be going with Tekin ROC 412 3100kv and the following route of needed upgrades right away. Just a couple of questions. Stock tranny other than steel gears, will it be sufficient? I'm thinking about stock shaft and outputs. Hoping to get away with a cheaper solution than Gen3 Slash and SS beefy shaft. Which 32p spur fits the stock top shaft?

I just installed the same motor in my Wraith. I am on the stock transmission, with Robinson gears and a bombproof motor plate. I used the traxxas jato 32p spur (with axial slipper). Traxxas part number 3956 (54t) 3957 (56t) 3958 (58t). I do have the AX10 MIPs, but stock diff gears. The ROC is a lot heavier than the stock can so I still need to get my shocks setup. It leans pretty good at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kevin06vino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:17 AM   #283
Rock Crawler

I've got a 3300 pro4 motor in my wraith on 3s. I run the hot racing metal trans gears with a RRP one piece out put gear. The top shaft is stock w/RRP metal 48p spur. I have been running it this way for over a year with no problems. So to answer your question, you can use the stock top shaft and plastic housing.
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #284
Rock Crawler

Just a little helpful info for those running the RC4WD AX2 Two speed transmission.

If your going to be running any sort of powerful motor through this transmission you need to upgrade the output shaft. The stock output shaft uses e-clips to hold the gears in place at the front and rear of the transmission. This is a weak point, and many have had the shafts sheer off (including myself) at this point. Upgrade to the Heavy Duty AX2 output shaft. It eliminates the e-clips and replaces them with shims to keep everything in place, thus eliminating the e-clip grooves and keeping everything strong.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #285
Pebble Pounder

Don't suppose you have the part # for the Heavy Duty AX2 output shaft or source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevastra View Post
Just a little helpful info for those running the RC4WD AX2 Two speed transmission.

If your going to be running any sort of powerful motor through this transmission you need to upgrade the output shaft. The stock output shaft uses e-clips to hold the gears in place at the front and rear of the transmission. This is a weak point, and many have had the shafts sheer off (including myself) at this point. Upgrade to the Heavy Duty AX2 output shaft. It eliminates the e-clips and replaces them with shims to keep everything in place, thus eliminating the e-clip grooves and keeping everything strong.

EDIT: AX2 Heavy Duty Output Shaft

Last edited by MAVERICKJK; 05-20-2014 at 12:45 AM. Reason: update
MAVERICKJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:02 AM   #286
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVERICKJK View Post
Don't suppose you have the part # for the Heavy Duty AX2 output shaft or source?
https://store.rc4wd.com/mobile/AX2-H...ft_p_2829.html
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #287
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Axles:

Front Axle
Gears: Axial HD Axial HEAVY DUTY BEVEL GEAR SET

Rear Axle

Gears: Axial Underdrive Axial HEAVY DUTY BEVEL GEAR SET 43T/13T
Hello Harley, I have this same trouble than him on a BMRC wrexo
What is that sound? Wrexo axial wraith. Exo - YouTube

I plan to swap the front on HD axial part but I dont know with one take...
43T/13T ? 36T/14T ? or 38T/13T ?

I was thinking we need same in front and in rear but you chose 18/13 in front and 43/13 in rear why ? (the front wheel will not be "faster" than the rear )
NITRONAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:54 AM   #288
Rock Stacker

Up ?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #289
RCC Addict

Stock is 38t/13t, 43t/13t I'd over drive and 36t/14t is under drive. If I remember correctly. In my Wrexo I run stock front and rear.
Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #290
Rock Stacker

ok thx but why différent gearing front and rear ?
Old 05-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #291
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITRONAT View Post
ok thx but why différent gearing front and rear ?
Tighter turning radius, steeper climbing and more controlled descents.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:20 PM   #292
Rock Stacker

oh all of that what is the conterpart ? Front tires Will be used more quickly ?
Old 05-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #293
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
Tighter turning radius, steeper climbing and more controlled descents.
Don't forget added strain on the drive-line...
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #294
Pebble Pounder

per Modeller "Overdrive is used to make the front of the car drive faster than the rear. It has nothing to do with tire wear other than teh diameter of the tires effects the amount of over drive you get.

Overdriving the front end is only neccessary when you are using either a one-way front diff or front solid axle with a rear solid axle.
The reason for this is that the solid axle in the rear makes the rear break loose in the corner because both wheels are turning at the same speed. You therefore overdrive the front end to make it pull the rear around in the straightest possible line.

Note: you must use either the front one-way diff or the front solid axle when using a rear solid axle. You make the fronts smaller because as the rears wear down the overdrive is reduced and can become underdrive (the rear pushing) which is almost impossible to control at high speed. The bigger the diameter difference the more the rears have to wear down to reach this stage.

Also, you would normally run softer tires on the rear to give more grip and harder tires on the front to create a bit of push to allow the rear to grip more. If you run the tires the same shore all round you need to run the suspension really soft in the rear and then the car doesn;t work properly. This is the price you have to apy to run in the fast lane. I know. I have been doing it for 15 yrs."
MAVERICKJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:10 AM   #295
Rock Stacker

Ok ok it's very interresting but It's quite complicated to understand (I'm french and not bilingual at all)

Btw I use same tires front and rear (TTC Baja Claw 2.2 2xss compound) I'm on a Wrexo with full time 4WS (Y link and up side down Servo) I have to upgrade my front Gearing beacause the Drag Brake (213% castle) make the stock EXO front gearing jumping/grinding (like this VIDEO )

SO the question is simple Do you think I should Overdrive or Underdrive the front or stay with stock ratio, as the same in the rear ?

Many Thx oversea expert ^^

Last edited by NITRONAT; 05-28-2014 at 03:16 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #296
RCC Addict

I'm pretty sure that information applies to touring cars and not crawlers... given the reference to one-ways and differing tire size.

No serious scaler I've seen here on RCC has used different tire sizes simultaneously on the same rig.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:43 AM   #297
Rock Stacker

I mean Overdrive or underdrive only with the gearing ratio ;) I don't plan to change my Tires
Old 05-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #298
Rock Stacker

Marine grease works great for the housings and tranny keeps water out and lubed well .
the build master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:50 AM   #299
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Hello Harley, I have this same trouble than him on a BMRC wrexo
What is that sound? Wrexo axial wraith. Exo - YouTube

I plan to swap the front on HD axial part but I dont know with one take...
43T/13T ? 36T/14T ? or 38T/13T ?

I was thinking we need same in front and in rear but you chose 18/13 in front and 43/13 in rear why ? (the front wheel will not be "faster" than the rear )
Quote:
Ok ok it's very interresting but It's quite complicated to understand (I'm french and not bilingual at all)

Btw I use same tires front and rear (TTC Baja Claw 2.2 2xss compound) I'm on a Wrexo with full time 4WS (Y link and up side down Servo) I have to upgrade my front Gearing beacause the Drag Brake (213% castle) make the stock EXO front gearing jumping/grinding (like this VIDEO )

SO the question is simple Do you think I should Overdrive or Underdrive the front or stay with stock ratio, as the same in the rear ?

Many Thx oversea expert ^^
I had this exact problem on my wrexo running OD gears front and rear (36/14). Pulled it apart and the ring looked fine but the pinion showed some wear from jumping on a hard stop or under a difficult bind. Makes me wonder if the exo housing allows enough mesh as compared to the stock axial wraith and scx10 housings.

Switched out to 43/13 front and rear as these have the best tooth engagement of all the axial HD gears. Highly recommended in a wrexo setup.

Dna
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:23 PM   #300
Rock Stacker

thx it's will be my next upgrade, do You loose many top speed in 43/13 ?

Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harley's Axial Wraith Build - Jimmy's 4x4 Ultra 4 KOH Style Harley Axial Wraith 2725 02-11-2020 07:19 AM
Wraith Beginners Guide Harley Axial Wraith 1058 06-24-2019 06:52 PM
Harley's Complete XR10 Guide Harley Axial XR10 319 07-14-2014 12:00 AM
Harley's Wraith #2 - Built for Vanquish Harley Axial Wraith 66 11-05-2012 06:17 PM
Harley's Wraith Sportsman Harley Axial Wraith 123 01-21-2012 05:35 PM