Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Wraith
Loading

Notices

Thread: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 374
Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Slick 50 from most auto parts stores is great, buy it once and you'll have plenty for a year or 5!

I have been using Rock Lube lately because it's handy little squeeze bottle.
The reason that I ask is, I am installing a pair of SS no-slop lockers into my Wraith, and when I took it apart there was some blue grease in there on the bevel gears from the factory. It looked like Maxima WP wheel bearing grease. So I use some that I have here, and when assembled it seemed a bit sluggish. I was wondering if bearing grease might be too thick for this application?
Land Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #22
20K Club
 
Harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sending illegals home one Hayabusa at a time.
Posts: 22,977
Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Crab View Post
The reason that I ask is, I am installing a pair of SS no-slop lockers into my Wraith, and when I took it apart there was some blue grease in there on the bevel gears from the factory. It looked like Maxima WP wheel bearing grease. So I use some that I have here, and when assembled it seemed a bit sluggish. I was wondering if bearing grease might be too thick for this application?
It will smooth out, I use bearing grease often.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #23
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: central VT
Posts: 1,662
Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

I too had trouble locating strong 4mm setscrews. What I ended up doing was purchasing 4x20 cap head bolts, grade 12.9. Thread a nut onto the bolt, thread the bolt into your already tapped link. Cutoff head of bolt with a cutoff wheel. Then un-thread the nut off the end. It will clean the threads up as it is removed, making it easy to thread into your Revo joints.

Robinson has just released a one piece lower gear that is a much better option than the steel lower gear with the stock outputs, as you are still relying on the small 2mm bolts to hold the lower gear and outputs together. Only downside is I'm sure it is much heavier than the other option.

A less expensive option than the Vanquish links is R2J's stainless set. Sure, theoretically the stainless isn't as strong as the Ti, but they've been holding up under my Wraith for monthes now. More than I can say about the chassis, and axle housings.

And a heads up, the Wraith axles, especially the fronts, aren't long enough to allow the setscrews on Felsenfest spools to fully engage on the end of the shaft. I learned this the hard way and destroyed a spool and a set of front shafts.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BFE, NV
Posts: 2,293
Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
A less expensive option than the Vanquish links is R2J's stainless set. Sure, theoretically the stainless isn't as strong as the Ti, but they've been holding up under my Wraith for monthes now.
I was looking at those but I dont like that he is tapping the rod ends out to 10/32 instead of turning the ends of the links down to 8/32 or 4mm. Then if you replace a rod end you have to drill it out.
frdtrkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #25
20K Club
 
Harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sending illegals home one Hayabusa at a time.
Posts: 22,977
Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I too had trouble locating strong 4mm setscrews. What I ended up doing was purchasing 4x20 cap head bolts, grade 12.9. Thread a nut onto the bolt, thread the bolt into your already tapped link. Cutoff head of bolt with a cutoff wheel. Then un-thread the nut off the end. It will clean the threads up as it is removed, making it easy to thread into your Revo joints.

Robinson has just released a one piece lower gear that is a much better option than the steel lower gear with the stock outputs, as you are still relying on the small 2mm bolts to hold the lower gear and outputs together. Only downside is I'm sure it is much heavier than the other option.

A less expensive option than the Vanquish links is R2J's stainless set. Sure, theoretically the stainless isn't as strong as the Ti, but they've been holding up under my Wraith for monthes now. More than I can say about the chassis, and axle housings.

And a heads up, the Wraith axles, especially the fronts, aren't long enough to allow the setscrews on Felsenfest spools to fully engage on the end of the shaft. I learned this the hard way and destroyed a spool and a set of front shafts.
I would rather stay with the later and deeper 8-32 threads then with 4mm. It's also stronger.

I have ran stainless links, they just aren't strong enough when you get a heavy rig. I would go for some custom chromo links before anything stainless, not a fan at all.

The one piece locker is an option I have thought about recently, I would have to actually see what the weak point proves to be. My Wraith will likely tell us sooner then later.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bloomington
Posts: 371
Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

can u use a gen 3 slipper on like a bone stock transmission (besides pinion) or do you need a special shaft?
MiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #27
20K Club
 
Harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sending illegals home one Hayabusa at a time.
Posts: 22,977
Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMorris View Post
can u use a gen 3 slipper on like a bone stock transmission (besides pinion) or do you need a special shaft?
They make a 48p version for the Wraith but I use the heavier 32p version for the Slash which requires a larger shaft from SuperShafty.com
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bloomington
Posts: 371
Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

are their any other 32p options where i dont need a $27 shaft.
MiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #29
20K Club
 
Harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sending illegals home one Hayabusa at a time.
Posts: 22,977
Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMorris View Post
are their any other 32p options where i dont need a $27 shaft.
Not that I know of. I liked having the beefier transmission top shaft anyway though. These trucks put a lot of force down and every upgrade counts when it comes to the transmission.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bloomington
Posts: 371
Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

do you reomend HR's hardened steel or hardened Aluminum trans gears
MiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #31
20K Club
 
Harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sending illegals home one Hayabusa at a time.
Posts: 22,977
Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMorris View Post
do you reomend HR's hardened steel or hardened Aluminum trans gears
I do not like HR trans gears, I use exclusively Robinson Racing gears.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bloomington
Posts: 371
Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

ok well do you like hardened alumium gears or hardened steel gears (ps. a pro4)
MiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Livermore Ca.
Posts: 219
Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Great write up Harley!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Transmission & Driveline

Top Shaft: SuperShafty #SS-112A - AXAIL BOMB PROOF MODS
Spur/slipper: Robinson 32p 56t Gen 3 Steel Slipper - Robinson Racing HP Slipper Unit 56T Gen 3 Slash
Can you confirm something, getting ready to order these items above and finding a conflicting part number to description and I know they will be very different if ordered wrong. On your link for the RR Slipper it sends me to RPP and the slipper part number is the same as what Super Shafty offers for the RR Slipper (RR#7856) but here is the difference, RPP.com site says it's a Slash 4wd, S/S site says Slash 4wd and then looking on R/R site the part number confirms Slash 2wd. Just to make sure we should be ordering a Slash 2wd #7856 correct? I know the 2wd vs. 4wd slipper set up will be very different so i want to make sure.

Thanks as always with all your suggestions and knowledge.

Nick
NCT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Stuck in Missouri for now.
Posts: 284
Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

@Harley

I see that you recommend the AX10 MIP driveshafts. Any reason that you don't recommend the more expensive Wraith specific driveshafts?

(I assume that they are essentially the same thing, and the AX10 shafts have enough length to work.)
FireWire79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #35
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fayetteville
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWire79 View Post
@Harley

I see that you recommend the AX10 MIP driveshafts. Any reason that you don't recommend the more expensive Wraith specific driveshafts?

(I assume that they are essentially the same thing, and the AX10 shafts have enough length to work.)
I think when he originally wrote that, the Axial specific part was not available. There are a few dated things in his posts since he was pretty much the first to have a Wraith as well and it being difficult to maintain all the posts he has made from the past two years.

I'd assume they applied the same idea but just changed the pins to fit. I just installed them on mine and they seem like they will be perfect. Although, I haven't gotten the chance to run them yet.


---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?c45ve4
MattPM0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Livermore Ca.
Posts: 219
Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWire79 View Post
@Harley

I see that you recommend the AX10 MIP driveshafts. Any reason that you don't recommend the more expensive Wraith specific driveshafts?

(I assume that they are essentially the same thing, and the AX10 shafts have enough length to work.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPM0000 View Post
I think when he originally wrote that, the Axial specific part was not available. There are a few dated things in his posts since he was pretty much the first to have a Wraith as well and it being difficult to maintain all the posts he has made from the past two years.

I'd assume they applied the same idea but just changed the pins to fit. I just installed them on mine and they seem like they will be perfect. Although, I haven't gotten the chance to run them yet.


---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?c45ve4

I run the MIP Wraith shafts and they work fine also, BUT from what I am reading this is the "BOMB PROOF" thread that outlines the NO HOLDING back approach to upgrades so in his suggestions the tranny is swapped out to a AX10 and heavily upgraded as seen at this link and pic: AXAIL BOMB PROOF MODS




So with the output shafts being larger and AX10 style thus reason for the AX10 MIP shaft kit...... Harley or anyone correct if I am wrong, hope not.


I am currently running the Wraith tranny so after looking at the list I seen on the Super Shafty web site they offer the "BEEFY TOP SHAFT" for the AX10 and Wraith tranny so I just ordered on for my Wraith so I can load a R/R Slipper on my rig in the 32p spur. I tried the R/R in the 48p 80t spur (stock Wraith) and with my power combo it was geared wrong and slipped way to much, I didn't even run it for a full run and took it out......still need to put it up for sale.


Hope this helps....


Nick
NCT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Stuck in Missouri for now.
Posts: 284
Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

gotcha. I was just wondering if it was going to be an easy way to save $20 on the price of the Wraith MIPs ($60) vs the AX10 MIPs ($40).
FireWire79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #38
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: thurmont
Posts: 732
Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

harley's guide to emptying your wallet instantly
theloudone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 374
Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT_Guy View Post
I run the MIP Wraith shafts and they work fine also, BUT from what I am reading this is the "BOMB PROOF" thread that outlines the NO HOLDING back approach to upgrades so in his suggestions the tranny is swapped out to a AX10 and heavily upgraded as seen at this link and pic: AXAIL BOMB PROOF MODS




So with the output shafts being larger and AX10 style thus reason for the AX10 MIP shaft kit...... Harley or anyone correct if I am wrong, hope not.


I am currently running the Wraith tranny so after looking at the list I seen on the Super Shafty web site they offer the "BEEFY TOP SHAFT" for the AX10 and Wraith tranny so I just ordered on for my Wraith so I can load a R/R Slipper on my rig in the 32p spur. I tried the R/R in the 48p 80t spur (stock Wraith) and with my power combo it was geared wrong and slipped way to much, I didn't even run it for a full run and took it out......still need to put it up for sale.


Hope this helps....


Nick
I am also using indestructible wraith spacific MIP drive shafts and a semi-Bomb proof tranny in my Wraith with RR metal gears the 80 tooth 48 pitch RR Gen 3 slipper and the front half of a HR metal transmission housing because the back half does not have the DIG housing and no way to support the stock output shafts. As I understand it the Super Shafty Bomb Proof tranny uses larger 8 mm output shafts and will require different drive shafts or larger MIP ends. So far my set up works fine
Attached Images
 
Land Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Livermore Ca.
Posts: 219
Default Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWire79 View Post
gotcha. I was just wondering if it was going to be an easy way to save $20 on the price of the Wraith MIPs ($60) vs the AX10 MIPs ($40).
I am still learning here but looks like the savings is just a sub save as you would need to purchase the other items to bring it all together, great if you are going that deep into it but from the sounds of it you are not other wise we would be talking about purchasing that BOMB PROOF $250 tranny , I am eye'ing it out for sure but till I break what I got now I have been doing well with my steps. I mostly crawl, light bashing where I think the Bomb AX10 conv. would be needed if I was on a brushless and bashing it hard like I have seen on some of the video's these guys have on youtube, looks awesome and bad ass but I have not found myself running my rig like that yet. Watch my vid in my sig, that is most what I do, some spots I have to get it hard to make it over spots so if you feel you are doing the same I have not had issues with my set up other than going 32p due to gearing options. I would get the Wraith MIP's, $20 more will save you alot more to stay away from the domino of other expense.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Crab View Post
I am also using indestructible wraith spacific MIP drive shafts and a semi-Bomb proof tranny in my Wraith with RR metal gears the 80 tooth 48 pitch RR Gen 3 slipper and the front half of a HR metal transmission housing because the back half does not have the DIG housing and no way to support the stock output shafts. As I understand it the Super Shafty Bomb Proof tranny uses larger 8 mm output shafts and will require different drive shafts or larger MIP ends. So far my set up works fine

What is your power set up? Crawling or bashing? My RR Slipper wouldn't hold even tightened all the way with my HH 13t CrawlMaster & 3s. The gearing was way off also so I hope the new package I ordered today like Harley suggests works better with it being geared correct.
NCT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Beginners Guide Harley Axial Wraith 1058 06-24-2019 06:52 PM
Harley's Axial Wraith Build - Jimmy's 4x4 Ultra 4 KOH Style Harley Axial Wraith 2724 08-21-2017 11:47 PM
Harley's Complete XR10 Guide Harley Axial XR10 319 07-14-2014 12:00 AM
Harley's Wraith #2 - Built for Vanquish Harley Axial Wraith 66 11-05-2012 06:17 PM
Harley's Wraith Sportsman Harley Axial Wraith 123 01-21-2012 05:35 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com