RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/379686-harleys-guide-bulletproof-wraith.html)

cluemac 06-29-2012 11:17 AM

Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

will the hot racing diff locker hold up to a tekin sc4x on a 3 cell?

DISTURBIN' tha PEACE 06-29-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniMorris (Post 3788453)
are their any other 32p options where i dont need a $27 shaft.

Yes, Duratrax Evader 32p spurs are a direct bolt on."thumbsup"

frdtrkguy 06-29-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluemac (Post 3801088)
will the hot racing diff locker hold up to a tekin sc4x on a 3 cell?

Yup, I'd bet you would twist a shaft before you strip the HR locker.

cluemac 06-29-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frdtrkguy (Post 3801360)
Yup, I'd bet you would twist a shaft before you strip the HR locker.

thanks

SwampDawg 06-30-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dezfan (Post 3697286)
Are you going to do a write up an how to get approved for the loan you need to buy all that crap? :shock:

:flipoff:

:lmao:

Spanky2K 06-30-2012 05:34 AM

I just picked up 19 of the specific items you listed before even seeing this! I guess I'm on the right track to building my Wraith! :thumbup:

MiniMorris 06-30-2012 02:08 PM

Lookey what i found. im tempted to try them....

Axial Wraith Heavy Duty Front Universal Joint TopCad 23014 | eBay

or

Team Zombie Hardened Steel Front Universal Joint AW23014 fits Axial Wraith | eBay

Harley 06-30-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniMorris (Post 3802564)

Really the only options for "bulletproof" axles are the VP CVD's or the Super 300HD's.

user.name 07-31-2012 03:08 PM

very, very useful guide. thanks for the advice!

ROCKEDUP RICKY 07-31-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniMorris (Post 3802564)

Those things would last as long as it took you to find them. :ror:

Harley ,great thread. I don't even have a wraith and I'm into it. "thumbsup"

Seems like others in your thread should start thier own. LOL

NCT_Guy 08-06-2012 08:32 AM

Any info on why I am reading that some guys are running different ring/pinion ratio's front to rear?

TNCrawler 08-06-2012 08:39 AM

If you go with a lower gear in the rear it all but eliminates tt and also with the front spinning a hair faster . The will pull the truck up steep inclines instead of the rear pushing the truck up. Higher in the front is the same principal but with more wheel speed!! I have underdrive rears and the are the best upgrade i have done imo! Hope this helps:thumbup:

TNCrawler 08-06-2012 08:40 AM

This also helps the truck to turn a little sharper as well!

Harley 08-06-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCT_Guy (Post 3857039)
Any info on why I am reading that some guys are running different ring/pinion ratio's front to rear?

I don't like that setup in this truck. I tried it for a little bit after I exploded my rear ring and pinion. With the Pro4 I don't like putting any extra bind in the system. On slower trucks with less power I definitely like it.

If I had 2 sets of the lower gear ratio R&P's I would run them both. Right now I am running HD rear. I need to order new sets of gears though because I want the drilled shaft on the pinion.

NCT_Guy 08-06-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNCrawler (Post 3857049)
If you go with a lower gear in the rear it all but eliminates tt and also with the front spinning a hair faster . The will pull the truck up steep inclines instead of the rear pushing the truck up. Higher in the front is the same principal but with more wheel speed!! I have underdrive rears and the are the best upgrade i have done imo! Hope this helps:thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNCrawler (Post 3857051)
This also helps the truck to turn a little sharper as well!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 3857078)
I don't like that setup in this truck. I tried it for a little bit after I exploded my rear ring and pinion. With the Pro4 I don't like putting any extra bind in the system. On slower trucks with less power I definitely like it.

If I had 2 sets of the lower gear ratio R&P's I would run them both. Right now I am running HD rear. I need to order new sets of gears though because I want the drilled shaft on the pinion.

So judging from the 2 different perspectives I am understanding under drive is a great crawling lower speed set up, from what TNCrawler stated it does make alot of sense but also was thinking on the lines of Harley's statement. I think I may try this in my rig, it's more a crawler set up so the benefit sounds like something I will really enjoy.

Thanks for the info guys!!!

spankbomb 08-08-2012 01:34 PM

Is anyone using blue loctite when installing the HR spool on the HD bevel gears? The kit instructions do not show any loctite being used? Thanks!

Harley 08-08-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spankbomb (Post 3860901)
Is anyone using blue loctite when installing the HR spool on the HD bevel gears? The kit instructions do not show any loctite being used? Thanks!

It won't hurt.

spankbomb 08-08-2012 04:51 PM

Stupid question. On these axles, what keeps the pinion from getting too tight on the ring gear? Meaning, if you are looking at the axle housing from the side, what keeps the pinion shaft from sliding back into the ring gear, thus tightening up the gear mesh?

Harley 08-08-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spankbomb (Post 3861260)
Stupid question. On these axles, what keeps the pinion from getting too tight on the ring gear? Meaning, if you are looking at the axle housing from the side, what keeps the pinion shaft from sliding back into the ring gear, thus tightening up the gear mesh?

Partially the driveshaft. However you can still push the pinion in by hand and tighten it up. Shimming the ring gear can help get it set perfectly but this is not a very common practice.

spankbomb 08-08-2012 05:04 PM

Got it. So, I should be good since I've bolted everything up properly and used the right size Fast Eddy Bearings. Basically, I'm overthinking it. :mrgreen: