RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/379686-harleys-guide-bulletproof-wraith.html)

Harley 08-08-2012 05:06 PM

Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Quote:

Originally Posted by spankbomb (Post 3861291)
Got it. So, I should be good since I've bolted everything up properly and used the right size Fast Eddy Bearings. Basically, I'm overthinking it. :mrgreen:

You got it :ror:

olblueyez 08-08-2012 08:14 PM

Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Better than Bullet Proof, according to SuperShafty.

HR - AX10 Locked Aluminum Trans w/ STEEL GEARS, not Aluminum $63
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/hotscp38cp01.htm

Robinson - 7856 Slipper $35
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rrp7856.htm

Robinson - 1540 AX/SCX Bottom Gear $15
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rrp1552.htm

Beefy Top Shaft - $27
SS 8mm Outputs - $65
BWD Motor Plate - $24

http://www.supershafty.com/robinson.php

DIY
$229 w/ Robinson Bottom Gear and Hot Racing Steel Gears.

SS
$240 + 32 For Hot Racing Steel Gears = $272

Personally I would go for the HR Trans with steel gears, add the Robinson one piece bottom gear/output, add the Beefy top shaft and Robinson 32p slipper, and go with the regular shafts MIP makes for the Wraith.

Then you won't need to add different outputs to your MIP shafts.

63 Trans w/Steel Gears
25 Beef Shaft
35 RR Output/Gear
60 MIP Shafts
-------------------------
$163

desertmaxx 08-08-2012 08:43 PM

another option:
Aluminum Rear Centered Axle Housing for Axial Wraith (Black)

olblueyez 08-08-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertmaxx (Post 3861691)

That's nice, why just the front though?

Erock 08-08-2012 11:25 PM

Its for the rear, and its just to match 1:1 looks. It may help the strength of the axle tubes (on the long side), but if you have an aluminum housing I would think the strength would be fine. Also I hear RC4WD axle shafts are not very strong, so you would probably end up breaking those.

ms4x4outlaws 08-14-2012 09:35 PM

I have read the part where you talked about putting in the ax10 trans...
I already had the new metal gears and MIP drive shafts for the stock stuff
so my question is what else can i do to bullet proof what i already have with out buying new housing?
im running brushless tekin 13.5 w/3s

Thanks,

Harley 08-14-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms4x4outlaws (Post 3870981)
I have read the part where you talked about putting in the ax10 trans...
I already had the new metal gears and MIP drive shafts for the stock stuff
so my question is what else can i do to bullet proof what i already have with out buying new housing?
im running brushless tekin 13.5 w/3s

Thanks,

All the metal gears, and a beefy top shaft is really a fine setup. I am still running the stock trans output shafts with my Pro4.

ms4x4outlaws 08-15-2012 11:20 PM

I have the stock top shaft. What brand and where would you recommend be buy it from.

ms4x4outlaws 08-15-2012 11:26 PM

Oh btw, I don't know if you remember answering my questions about gearing and I had some worries the tekin 13.5 wouldnt be enough.

Well you were right about the tekin. I like it!! But I needed more tire speed.
So I replaced my plastic drive shafts with the gmade shafts and I already broke them! Lol
So while ordering new MIP shafts I got the 54spur 32p and I already had the 14 pinion along with the 60spur.

ik632 08-16-2012 08:14 AM

I see you guys talking about replacing the top/input shaft. Is ti because the stock one breaks, or you want the larger one to accommodate the slipper from the Slash?

I've already upgraded to 32p gears but plan on upgrading the tranny to metal internal gears. Just not convinced yet that the top gear shaft is a problem.

Harley 08-16-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms4x4outlaws (Post 3872633)
I have the stock top shaft. What brand and where would you recommend be buy it from.

Supershafty.com sells them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ik632 (Post 3872890)
I see you guys talking about replacing the top/input shaft. Is ti because the stock one breaks, or you want the larger one to accommodate the slipper from the Slash?

I've already upgraded to 32p gears but plan on upgrading the tranny to metal internal gears. Just not convinced yet that the top gear shaft is a problem.

The larger top shaft uses a thicker pin on the drive unit, when you have the rest of your drivetrain already beefed up this is an area to address. The Slash slipper gives MUCH more control over slip settings. The stock Axial unit is basically an on/off switch when running big power, you either have no slip or it slips under even "moderate" acceleration.

ik632 08-16-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 3872901)
The larger top shaft uses a thicker pin on the drive unit, when you have the rest of your drivetrain already beefed up this is an area to address. The Slash slipper gives MUCH more control over slip settings. The stock Axial unit is basically an on/off switch when running big power, you either have no slip or it slips under even "moderate" acceleration.

Makes sense. I guess once you do everything else that would be more of a PITA to replace. I'd rather a plastic axle break than those parts. For my truck when the time comes I'll do the Maxx shaft setup. They are cheap and seem to hold the power pretty well. Just need to do the other parts to support that (transmission output shafts).

ik632 08-16-2012 12:00 PM

What gear does the supershafty top shaft use? If you buy the HR gear set it comes with all 3. Robinson doesn't list a top gear.

Wraith-Rig 08-16-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingrc (Post 3697487)
Well looks like im gonna need to save up about 600 dollars, HAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!! :flipoff:

OR More!:shock: My wraith is in the $1,700 range after finding Vanquish, BGR, CKRC, and finally RCC. HAHAHAH Im Addicted! im Staring at mine in pieces waiting for my Panhard CMS from Vanquish and my new BGR Aluminum Bumper.:ror:
Never enough

Crash1388 08-28-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 3788436)
They make a 48p version for the Wraith but I use the heavier 32p version for the Slash which requires a larger shaft from SuperShafty.com

Harley im building my buddy a Wraith right now... i got the RR 48p/80t slipper clutch, if i use a hardened steel 20t pin i should be good right? or is he gonna shred the top shaft... wish i had read this thread before i bought the 48p for it .. he is running a Tekin Rs esc with a Tekin 17.5 bL... also whats a good rule for setting the slipper tightness?.. hes a " pin it to win it" type driver!!:twisted:

Harley 08-28-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash1388 (Post 3890023)
Harley im building my buddy a Wraith right now... i got the RR 48p/80t slipper clutch, if i use a hardened steel 20t pin i should be good right? or is he gonna shred the top shaft... wish i had read this thread before i bought the 48p for it .. he is running a Tekin Rs esc with a Tekin 17.5 bL... also whats a good rule for setting the slipper tightness?.. hes a " pin it to win it" type driver!!:twisted:

You'll probably be fine. Just watch pinion wear over time.

I tightened mine down pretty good and then backed it off about 1/4 or 1/3 or a turn.

Crash1388 08-28-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 3890027)
You'll probably be fine. Just watch pinion wear over time.

I tightened mine down pretty good and then backed it off about 1/4 or 1/3 or a turn.

awesome man thanks i had the slipper set right.. i think i'll end up taking his slipper and up grade him to the Super Shafty once he gets a set of punisher shafts from rc4wd.. he still wants to run some kind of gear cover and i dont thats gonna work with the way his build is going.. i love his build cause he got some $$$ to throw at it!! side note.. i need to pull his trans out a again and every time i take it a part the top shaft always seems to have play in it but when its together there isnt any play any thoughts?

Harley 08-28-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash1388 (Post 3890047)
awesome man thanks i had the slipper set right.. i think i'll end up taking his slipper and up grade him to the Super Shafty once he gets a set of punisher shafts from rc4wd.. he still wants to run some kind of gear cover and i dont thats gonna work with the way his build is going.. i love his build cause he got some $$$ to throw at it!! side note.. i need to pull his trans out a again and every time i take it a part the top shaft always seems to have play in it but when its together there isnt any play any thoughts?

Not really, when it's all together it shouldn't have much play. Maybe 1/16" or less.

sloyota 08-28-2012 09:33 AM

im still running the wraith transmission with metal gears,just put in the RRP one piece output shaft and broke it less than two battery's.at the cross pin on the rear driveshaft.i got an AX-10 trans i'll be puttting in when i get the longer output shafts.

i was running a traxxaxs venelion with MMP.drag brake at 80%,everything else on the stock setting.now im running the Tekin 3300kv 4 pole motor..need to know what tweaks you did to the MMP ESC to make it crawl better,mine still kinda coggs a little,not much.but trying to get it a little smoother.

thanks.sloyota

ProjektONE 08-28-2012 01:17 PM

Supershafty has been out of stock for some time now! :x