Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Project: YellowJacket

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Project: YellowJacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasuraBlanco View Post
I borrowed my neighbor's, it was a Weller WESD51D (50W digital), and was very impressed. A quick search on google shows that they retail for around $180 - $200, quite pricey. Weller also makes an analog version (WES51) which appears to be less expensive ($90 - $120) but of the same quality.

LOL.... I have a WES51 (nobody asked me) and love it!

And if you want I can make that tray out of aluminum for you or set you up to do it yourself!

HRDROKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRDROKN View Post
if you want I can make that tray out of aluminum for you or set you up to do it yourself!
Sounds like a plan. Once i finish this beast, I'll bring it over (along with some beers) and we can see about some improvements. HRDROKN's motto is "Stock is for Sissies!!!"
BasuraBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #23

Ok, it's been a while. Had a birthday (Yay!!), had to work the weekend (Boo!!) but finally found some time to build.

I'll be using the stock tires and foams for now. The wheels are RC4WD 2.2 Resistance internal beadlocks. Unfortunately, with the 5 piece design, they are not vented. I know that I could punch holes in the tires but I think I'll hold off until I need to. As a compromise, when assembling them, I tied a shoelace around the outer diameter of the tire to compress the foams then tightened the beadlock ring down. Once the shoelace was removed, a slight vacuum was created in the tire giving them a more mushy feel.

let's try'em on

Dammit, the hub covers fit fine on the rear wheels, but the front axle stubs protrude just far enough to prevent the front hub covers from going on. Oh well, I'll add that to the list of improvements.

Time to paint. Here are some mock ups of what I have in mind.

That whole YellowJacket thing is starting to make sense now isn't it? The logo is from the 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 Yellow Jacket. While the logo inspired the paint job, I don't think I have the skills to incorporate it into the final product. Wish me luck.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #24

So, it seems that there are two schools of thought regarding the order in which lexan bodies are finished. Some say paint, then drill, then cut; while others say to do the opposite. After this build, I think I will change my order to the cut and drill first method.

Had to cut the hood out and mark the areas that would be modified. I knew that I left the bumper off for a reason.

going for a two tone hood, that green 3M tape is excellent, nice crisp lines.

For the body panels, I used a compass set at 4" and made semi-circular marks at increasing 1/8th inch intervals. Then, I X-acto'd out the black parts

After four extremely light coats of black...

...then four light coats of yellow, with a finishing coat of white...

...a full afternoon of creative cutting...

...Add some decals...and We...ArE...

...DONE!!!

BTW, that is the only rock in my entire yard. Yeah, the animal print looks a little 80's hair metal \m/ but, I'm really pleased at how it all came out.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #25

Man that is a good looking car. What did you use to hold the hood down with? Looks like a body pin in the pictures. Thanks
Red_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_13 View Post
Man that is a good looking car. What did you use to hold the hood down with? Looks like a body pin in the pictures. Thanks
Thanks Red, I used the CKRC Hood Hinge kit (costs about $7). Comes with sets of pins, hinges, washers, nuts and drilled hex bolts.

If there's one thing I'm not 100% happy with, it's that hood. I thought I did my best to mark out my holes, but once I attached the hinge bolts the pins did not line up. I then used a body reamer to enlarge the holes; no dice, just made a bigger mess. I think the problem lies in the hinges themselves, they are just little wire clamps, I'll try screwing with them to see if I can get a better result. I'll snap some close ups when I get a chance.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I had a chance to play with Yellow Jacket today.... nice rig! Here are a couple action shots....

And a couple poser shots with creeper rubber.....

Old 05-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

this truck is great looking itself, but i think it would look the best if you did the rear cage mod to it.
desertmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Thanks Red, I used the CKRC Hood Hinge kit (costs about $7). Comes with sets of pins, hinges, washers, nuts and drilled hex bolts.

If there's one thing I'm not 100% happy with, it's that hood. I thought I did my best to mark out my holes, but once I attached the hinge bolts the pins did not line up. I then used a body reamer to enlarge the holes; no dice, just made a bigger mess. I think the problem lies in the hinges themselves, they are just little wire clamps, I'll try screwing with them to see if I can get a better result. I'll snap some close ups when I get a chance.
Thanks I looked on ckrc and all I found was hood hinge kit by itself. By any chance have you got a part # I can look up?
Red_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
So, it seems that there are two schools of thought regarding the order in which lexan bodies are finished. Some say paint, then drill, then cut; while others say to do the opposite. After this build, I think I will change my order to the cut and drill first method.

Had to cut the hood out and mark the areas that would be modified. I knew that I left the bumper off for a reason.

going for a two tone hood, that green 3M tape is excellent, nice crisp lines.

For the body panels, I used a compass set at 4" and made semi-circular marks at increasing 1/8th inch intervals. Then, I X-acto'd out the black parts

After four extremely light coats of black...

...then four light coats of yellow, with a finishing coat of white...

...a full afternoon of creative cutting...

...Add some decals...and We...ArE...

...DONE!!!

BTW, that is the only rock in my entire yard. Yeah, the animal print looks a little 80's hair metal \m/ but, I'm really pleased at how it all came out.

To complete the Muscle car them Vintage LJN 8" WWF Macho Man Randy Savage Action Figure WWE Wrestling | eBay and use somel model paint for jeans and a concert shirt.
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Usually not a fan of yellow but that is one sick paint job. Very nice
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_13 View Post
Thanks I looked on ckrc and all I found was hood hinge kit by itself. By any chance have you got a part # I can look up?
The model number they have listed is "ckwrhood", look under the Wraith specific parts section under chassis and suspension, kit comes with everything you need.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm0688 View Post
to complete the muscle car theme vintage ljn 8" wwf macho man randy savage action figure wwe wrestling | ebay and use somel model paint for jeans and a concert shirt.
"ooohhhhhhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!"
Old 05-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Sweet lord, that's one nice wraith. Inspirational work indeed.
zodiaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #35

Thanks again for the great comments. Finally had some quality time off and found an interesting rock pile nearby using Google Maps.

The pile was right off the road, next to a residential area, no fence and no keep-out signs. Upon closer examination, this location might be a little too technical for a 1/10th scale rig (Hell, I had a hard time on foot, there's some real ankle snappers in that pile). But there were a few nice rocks with a couple of cool sections.

Let's see if the YellowJacket can crawl...

Yep!

Drag brake works too

One final poser shot to finish out the day.

All in all, it was a pretty nice test of all of my hard work. I need to tighten the slipper clutch a little bit, swap out the 9t pinion for a 12t, maybe throw some weights in the front wheels and I think my ride height may be a little too low (constantly snagging on the skid plate) I may have to flip the lower link mounts on the axles back around to gain back some clearance.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

OK I give up.... where did you find that pile? Pena Adobe?

Last edited by HRDROKN; 05-26-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #37

Paradise Valley in Fairfield.

https://maps.google.com/maps/place?f...-tLG3Dw&dtab=2
Old 08-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Killer paint job. Do you have any updates on this rig? How do you like the 35t motor?
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Great thread mate and love the finished product!

How are you liking your wheels?
Abrown83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, build, kit, wraith, yellowjacket

Project: YellowJacket - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new project BlazinKreeper Arizona 13 04-10-2008 11:14 PM
my next project to-fast-4-u Chit Chat 10 10-24-2005 07:15 PM