RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Brandon's 1.9 Wraith Build (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/386935-brandons-1-9-wraith-build.html)

Brandon 06-04-2012 03:44 PM

Brandon's 1.9 Wraith Build

4 Attachment(s)
I really like the idea/look of the Wraith chassis with AX10 axles and 1.9's under it.

I pulled together some old used parts for an initial mock-up and loved it. The shorter wheelbase with the 1.9's under the Wraith cage looks awesome "thumbsup"

Now I am motivated to get this done for Axialfest!

Here is how it looked last week:
12.5" Wheelbase
AX10 Axles
Aluminum C's, Knuckles, and straight axle adapters
Axial CVD's
Axial 8 hole 1.9 beadlocks with 62Pyro Beadlock Rings
Axial R35 1.9 Ripsaw Tires
Axial Wraith Body Panels
Axial Rear Swaybar kit (for looks only, not functional)
Stock Wraith body panels

Here is the direction its going in now:
11.3" Wheelbase
Pro-Line Bronco Body

Brandon 06-04-2012 03:45 PM

Re: Brandon's 1.9 Wraith Build

Then this showed up: Pro-Line Ford Bronco Body 3373 for Rock Crawler

http://prolineracing.com/images/prod.../3373-00-3.jpg

Brandon 06-04-2012 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The plan for this PL body was to paint it just like Axial's 1:1 Bronco and surprise him with it mounted on a RTR Wraith...

Until I cut it out and mocked it up on this 1.9 Wraith Build :shock:

Now this 1.9 Wraith is taking a different direction. Wheelbase needs to be shortened even further to match the body. Color scheme is going to be altered as well. I went ahead and cut out the door openings and the hood for now.

Pro-Line really thought through this body and they included the full doors that can easily be fitted to completely change the look.

adamargue 06-04-2012 04:03 PM

That looks pretty cool. Never would have thought 1.9's would look good on a wraith.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Maddog Madigan 06-04-2012 04:22 PM

Looking foreword to this build!

frdtrkguy 06-04-2012 05:29 PM

I did a 1.9 wraith for my boys and its been alot of fun. I look forward to seeing that EB painted.

Gen3_Teg_88 06-04-2012 07:01 PM

its funny, as i was looking through the first few pics i was thinking "man this would be sweet with a bronco body" and that exactly what you did, lol.

i look forward to seeing more of this build!

Tonysmini 06-05-2012 03:39 AM

Mine is very similar, I swapped the tranny with an SCX so I could mirror it, solves the reverse rotation motor issue and very little torque twist.

tmack 06-05-2012 04:21 AM

Nice build. Gonna look real good with that bronco body!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Brandon 06-05-2012 09:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Front wheelbase has now been adjusted to fit the front wheel opening on the PL Bronco body. Had to really shorten it up! But everything is moving freely.

Driveshaft length is a bit comical due to the forward position of the transmission on the Wraith skid plate.

The short wheelbase creates some tire rub when steering against the tube chassis. Some dremel work should fix that.

Brandon 06-05-2012 10:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The steering servo was interfering with the cage in its new position. I considered doing a CMS setup but the servo would almost be setting in the middle and the link geometry would be less than ideal. Out came the dremel for some clearance work.

I also swapped to the AR60 AX30777 Servo plate. Its a direct fit onto the AX10 axle, the plate is smaller and no longer utilizes the 3rd screw on the stock AX10 3 link mount. Which I wasn't using anyways with the 4 link axle trusses installed on these axles. This change wasn't required, but it helps clean things up a bit.

Brandon 06-05-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamargue (Post 3763305)
That looks pretty cool. Never would have thought 1.9's would look good on a wraith.

Thanks "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maddog Madigan (Post 3763324)
Looking foreword to this build!

Me too! Motivated to get it done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frdtrkguy (Post 3763424)
I did a 1.9 wraith for my boys and its been alot of fun. I look forward to seeing that EB painted.

Very cool, do you have a build thread for it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gen3_Teg_88 (Post 3763546)
its funny, as i was looking through the first few pics i was thinking "man this would be sweet with a bronco body" and that exactly what you did, lol.

i look forward to seeing more of this build!

Good call :ror: Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonysmini (Post 3764046)
Mine is very similar, I swapped the tranny with an SCX so I could mirror it, solves the reverse rotation motor issue and very little torque twist.

I plan to leave the transmission in its stock configuration to easily clear the interior. Ill sort out the motor rotation when I get everything wired up. It has such a short WB and limited travel that TT will be minimal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmack (Post 3764054)
Nice build. Gonna look real good with that bronco body!!

Thanks!

sococrawler 06-05-2012 01:35 PM

Bc that workbench is off the hook ! I'm comin to your shop to work on rigs from here on out !

Really though as always you build some pretty sick rigs ! Can't wait to see this one come alive !

Brandon 06-05-2012 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got my hands on one of the newly released Axial Universal Light Bar Sets "thumbsup"

This kit is a direct bolt onto the Wraith cage and looks awesome! Pics of it installed soon.

TowerHobbies.com | AXIAX30709 AX30709 Axial Universal 5 Bucket Light Bar Set

Brandon 06-05-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sococrawler (Post 3764555)
Bc that workbench is off the hook ! I'm comin to your shop to work on rigs from here on out !

Really though as always you build some pretty sick rigs ! Can't wait to see this one come alive !

Thanks! That was my only requirement for the new place. I HAD to have a nice workspace :ror: Priorities you know?

adamargue 06-05-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon (Post 3764666)
Thanks! That was my only requirement for the new place. I HAD to have a nice workspace :ror: Priorities you know?

I just went with my girlfriend to look at a house and it has a garage turned workshop already all done up. We are going to put the down payment on it today

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Brandon 06-06-2012 08:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Laid down some paint on the PL Bronco Body.

Top is a custom faskolor mix for a gunmetal color, Keylime green stripe, and silver bottom. Added some flat black accents on the grill and cowl also.

Painted the doors too for options :mrgreen:

frdtrkguy 06-06-2012 09:19 AM

Paint turned out very nice!!

How hard would it be to hinge the hood for battery access? Looks like if the hood were hinged then the front of the fenders would be left without any support?

Bellvis 06-06-2012 11:23 AM

Looks awesome Brando!

Can't wait to take it to CDM!

Brandon 06-06-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frdtrkguy (Post 3765824)
Paint turned out very nice!!

How hard would it be to hinge the hood for battery access? Looks like if the hood were hinged then the front of the fenders would be left without any support?

Thanks! Hood is actually cut out already in those pics, plan is to hinge it "thumbsup" I will have to add some additional screws to hold the body on. The intended mounting is done with 2 screws in the back tailgate and through the front bumper. Possibly 4 screws on the hood also. Not sure because I already cut it up...

I have plenty of options on the cage sides for additional screws though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellvis (Post 3766002)
Looks awesome Brando!

Can't wait to take it to CDM!

Thanks! Agreed, CDM will be a blast with this rig. Although it will hopefully make its debut at Axialfest.