Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: JIA's IFS Ultra4 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #541
Rock Crawler

Default Re: JIA's IFS Ultra4 build

Got the ax2 coming for the wrexo. Rc4wd has some if your looking for anymore Jason
alaskancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #542
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskancrawler View Post
Got the ax2 coming for the wrexo. Rc4wd has some if your looking for anymore Jason
Cool.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #543
Pebble Pounder

Yup, got mine ordered today to
Jayzrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #544
06 Super National Champ

Got some wiring done tonight. I know some of you guys have been wanting to see how I'll manage to cram all this crap in this rig and have none of it visible, so here's a start.

Stig's wiring is taken care of. Needed a MPI servo reverser to make his head move in the same direction as the front tires. Using the MPI reverser isn't a big deal, but I ended up cutting 14" of the reversing harness off so I had less cabling to deal with. The servo (Hitec HS-35, if I remember correctly) and MPI reversing harness are glued inside Stig's torso. His servo wires exit between his body and the seat - at his right hip - and run back to the rear firewall.

Stuck him in the seat one last time to check fit before I yank him back out to do finish sanding and a little detailing then give him permanent residence in the driver's seat. When I have the wiring 100% I'll paint the interior pan and get details added to it. having it clear right now helps with wire routing and placing the pan back in place to see if thing will work out.

Oh, there will be seven functioning switches on this thing. They'll only turn crap on and off. The Overkill RC switch panel has five circuits that I'll use to control the various LED bars. The two toggle switches (pictured above) will turn the BEC for the winch and ESC on/off.

All five operating functions (front/rear steer, throttle, transmission shift, and winch controls) are handled through the 4PKS.

I should make a new wiring diagram. So much has changed since the last one.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #545
Rock Crawler

Should be interesting to see how it's all packaged.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #546
06 Super National Champ

Hit up Home Depot and the LHS to get some grommets and handful of connectors. Also picked up a couple of VP goodies.

I've had one VP locker here for quite a while, but was waiting to get a 2nd locker before I installed Axial's HD under-drive ring and pinion sets.

I also tracked down a Vanquish front shock tower for the Exo.

I'll get the VP goodies installed tonight and get to work wiring the servos, BECs, and tucking it out of the way.

I hope to get everything completely wired tonight. Then the only wiring that will be left will be integrating the Overkill RC switch panel for the MadDogRC LED bars and the rear cluster with the 3Racing kit installed.

Front end is now 100%. In addition to the Vanquish shock tower, I also installed STRC's machined aluminum front bumper mount in gunmetal flavor. I was waiting for the hard-anodized Axial shock tower to arrive but it never showed so the VP unit went in.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 11-29-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #547
Rock Crawler

Jason
The under drive gears and locker your using in the front end exo specific?
Old 11-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #548
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Jason
The under drive gears and locker your using in the front end exo specific?
No, just VPs AX/Wraith/Exo locker with Axial's AX/Wraith/Exo gears.

I chose the under-drive gears for added reduction. It's still going to be blistering fast in 2nd with the 3300kV Pro4, but a little extra drivetrain reduction will help in the rocks when I turn drag brake off.

Rear end is wrapped up. This puts the drivetrain at 100%. Now to get out the soldering iron...

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 11-29-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #549

This build is crazy- love it so much!
brettness37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #550
06 Super National Champ

Mounted the Castle Creations BEC Pro and the Futaba R614FF on the firewall. It's hard to see because of the magnet on the output of the BEC Pro, but the two output wires of the BEC Pro pass through the firewall into the interior of the rig. The two servo cables you see wrapped on this side of the firewall are for the shift servo and the front steering servo. The power input cables for the BEC Pro pass under the bottom of the firewall into the interior. The Futaba RX's antenna also passes under the firewall into the interior. These just run the length of the rockers, above the plates for the MadDogRC rock lights. The RX antenna wire is actually routed through the zip-ties that hold the passenger's side rock light plate to the Wraith chassis.

The interior. Output cables from the BEC Pro (black/red) are coming from the back side of the firewall, and the shift servo and Hitec 79890TH servo cables pass through the firewall to the rear. The servo cable with servo braid on it is for the rear axle. I'll trim off the braid on the portion of cable that won't be exposed and tap the BEC Pro power directly to the servos. Ground will be tied to the servo from the BEC Pro and ground will also be routed to the RX. The power wire for the servo at the RX will be gone - power and ground will come from the BEC Pro. Signal and ground will come from the RX. You can also see the RX antenna on the right and the BEC Pro input cables on the left.

I'll take pics of these areas tomorrow while I make progress.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 11-29-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:13 AM   #551
06 Super National Champ

Last little bit for tonight.

Used a piece of junk mail to make a template for a cover for the BEC and RX then cut the panel from flashing. Visually it's like you're looking at the back side of the firewall but it will hide/protect the BEC/RX and the cabling.

BEC and RX are sandwiched between the two firewall panels.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 AM   #552
Rock Crawler

Would really like to see this in person sometime. Very clean so far.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 AM   #553
GMV
Pebble Pounder

Top notch as always!
GMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:01 AM   #554
06 Super National Champ

Thanks, guys.

Last bit for tonight.

Found these in the screw box. I bought these a while back and never put them to use. They're Du-bro parts. I drilled the holes in each end to 7/64" and installed them. I think they look much better than the plastic bits that are supposed to be here. I'm also going to beef the light bar mounts at the roof. They get torn up too easily.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:10 AM   #555
Rock Crawler

Sexy
Old 11-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #556
RCC Addict

Never fail to amaze.
What does this weigh at this point?

I'm heading to Kahuku and Turtle Bay next fall, I think some bashing may be in order....
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #557
Rock Crawler

Must still be recuperating from the late night thrash. Hows the wiring coming?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #558
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean View Post
Never fail to amaze.
What does this weigh at this point?

I'm heading to Kahuku and Turtle Bay next fall, I think some bashing may be in order....
I just measured. No battery or ESC, 7 lb. 13 oz.

Working on it tonight.

I meant to get some aluminum to make a cross bar for the light bar mounts at the roof. I found that the K&S #3060 aluminum tube in one of the parts trays. This is the same stuff I drilled and tapped for 4-40 threads and made toe/camber links and sway bar pushrods.

I picked up some 2.5mm x 15mm cap screws and got to work. The inner bore of the K&S tube is 2.25mm so I put some grease on the threads of one of the 2.5mm cap screws and used the electric screwdriver to tap the threads in one end.

I cut the boss off the inward-facing side of each of the upper light bar mounts. The 3/16" diameter of the aluminum tube matches better with the upper light bar mounts this way. Otherwise there would be a step between the mount and the tube and I just couldn't have that. OCD wouldn't allow it.

So...I eyeballed the length, cut the tube, checked fit, tapped the other end, and installed it.

Hope it holds up in a rollover now. In the past these freakin' plastic mounts wouldn't survive a day. One roll and your light bar is pointing all over and it wouldn't be much longer before the upper mount was completely ripped off the roof. I can pick the rig up by the light bar now without feeling it's going to implode at the least opportune time.

Now I need to take it off and get back to work on the wiring. Light bar and roof cage work is in the way.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 12-01-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #559
06 Super National Champ

Almost done with the wiring.

I have the two Castle BEC Pro outputs to wire to the Hitec 7980s, and I need to shorten the servo cable that is coming out of Stig. The front steering servo actually plugs into Stig, and he plugs into the RX. There's a MPI servo reverser stuffed in his torso. Stig will get power through the RX (RX8's BEC), but the Hitec 7980 that's going to be on the MPI servo reverser will be powered by the Castle BEC Pro.

You can also see the RX8 resting in place, as well as a Thunder Power 5300mAh 65C 3S hard case pack stuffed in the battery location.

Almost done. The Overkill RC switch for the LED bars is the last functional item I'll need before putting it together one last time.

The skins and Warn 9.0RC decals from Krawler Konceptz should be here soon as well.

So close.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:30 AM   #560
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Must still be recuperating from the late night thrash. Hows the wiring coming?
Missed this somehow.

Spent time on other stuff. Wife has a shindig to attend - which means I have a shindig to attend. Which means we've been shopping for a new suit. I don't like wearing a suit, don't care for shopping, and I hate shindigs.

Jeff has been wanting to go ride the skateboards but he's complaining that he can't turn. Went and got him some soft Shorty's and he put them in tonight.

He took it out tonight and gave it a test ride. He can turn much better now and immediately asked if we could go skating tomorrow.

I'm supposed to paint his JK tomorrow and we still have to shop for a suit.

Arrrgh!

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/388684-jias-ifs-ultra4-build.html
Posted By For Type Date
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Axial Wraith This thread Refback 03-01-2013 02:33 PM
Axial Racing - Project Wrexo – Bender’s Latest Custom Build This thread Refback 02-18-2013 03:40 PM

JIA's IFS Ultra4 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solid axle Ultra4 build JasonInAugusta Axial Wraith 79 07-08-2013 09:32 PM
DTP's KOH IFS Ultra4 DISTURBIN' tha PEACE Scale Videos! 7 12-20-2012 09:21 AM
JIA's IFS KOH Ultra4 Wraith Conversions JasonInAugusta Chassis and Suspension 77 11-10-2012 10:27 PM
IFS axial build red_zook General Scale Talk 6 04-28-2012 08:43 AM
Ultra4/KOH build of doom Ruff11 2.2 Scale Rigs 14 10-10-2011 08:11 PM