Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Desert Recluse Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Desert Recluse Wraith

Hey guys..well I just got a Wraith kit the other day..almost have it put together. As of now I don't have any upgrades because I want to see what its weaknesses are. Eventually it will be a crawler, rather than a rock racer, but for now its staying how it is. Now..after reading through a lot of builds..I realize i probably did some stupid stuff when choosing an ESC and motor, and servo, and pretty much everything, because I was trying to keep it cheap (if not, my wife would have a fit ) According to some things I read, the Venom Crawler ESC and 55T motor pretty much suck..I guess I will find out for sure, but I got them new for 24 dollars on ebay..can't get cheaper than that. I dont think I will run that motor, cuz 55t is very slow for what i want..35 should be good. Anyway your input will help me decide on a new setup eventually. I also just got a stock Axial servo, because the one I have in my SCX10 seems to work fine, and i've got a lot of weight in em! Also, i could use your input on a servo for the future!

Anyway, i have a sweet paint theme in mind (maybe the build name gives you a hint)..hopeully it turns out good, i'll be doing that tonight and tomorrow......I want this to be a good, clean build, with lots of upgrades, so keep watching and i'll get some pics up asap..as long as Photobucket doesn't decide to screw with me again.. Thanks for readin

By the way..i love to hear all of your ideas, criticism, and comments that will help with the build, so lemme have it! Thanks!
xjcralwer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Desert Recluse Wraith

Savox SA1230SG Digital Servo

I run one of these in my XR10, and plan on another one when I build my wraith (still planning it out). Depending on what you want to do with your wraith, the 55T may be adequate. As for the venom esc, I have no experience with them. But I run a cheap ecx dynamite ESC and it works fine for what I do. It's all trial and error. Can't wait to see what this paint cheme looks like.
PFC FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Second vote for Savox... I run a 1256tg in my wraith and scx10... About 70 bucks off the shelf for good torque. These things have taken a beating in my rigs and still function like day 1 new.
Soulo747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Savox..i've heard good things about them, sounds like i'll be getting a new servo then! Decent price, they look like they will be a good choice..thanks for the input!!
Old 06-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

My pleasure. I picked mine up for $75 and tax.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

75 bucks i can do! Just curious, what are you guys running for a receiver and radio? I got a good price on a Spektrum 2.4ghz DX3E with sr300 receiver..any good?
Old 06-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Spektrums are popular. I ran a Traxxas 2.4 I was sharing betweem my XR10 and my Slash for a while. Now I have a RC4WD radio I found in a consignment case at the LHS. If all you need is a 3 channel, go for it.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Ah nice haha, i forgot to mention that i'm relatively new to all of this..is there any reason id need more than a 3 channel? All i want is to run a winch eventually.. other than that my LEDs can just be ran through the esc or something..right? Sorry if I sound like an idiot haha
Old 06-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I would read through some build threads for that info. I don't know much about scale accessories.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC FNG View Post
I would read through some build threads for that info. I don't know much about scale accessories.
Will do, thanks!
Old 06-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Well, wraiths almost done, still havent got my receiver yet...but the paint is finally done, lots of work! It didn't turn out perfect, but what you you guys think? It was my first paint job, so don't be too harsh! Oh and the colors changed, so the Desert Recluse might not make sense, but i like it

Old 06-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #12
TLZ

That looks sweet for a first paint job! What was the original color scheme? Beige with a black spider and stripes would have been cool.
TLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLZ View Post
That looks sweet for a first paint job! What was the original color scheme? Beige with a black spider and stripes would have been cool.
Thanks!! Thats exactly it haha, good guess. Beige & Black.. but then my wife found this green and wanted it that color, so we did it. I like how it turned out!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Looks really good. My first paint job turned out a lot worse.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC FNG View Post
Looks really good. My first paint job turned out a lot worse.
Thanks a lot, its just trial an error, there's a lot i'll do different next time!
Old 06-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Nice paint, that's actually pretty cool! One thing you will absolutely have to do is upgrade the drag link and tie-rod, the steering will be super floppy and 'squishy' with the plastic ones. It won't want to turn very well. It makes a huge difference putting aluminum ones on, first thing I did to mine (I started with an RTR.) Knuckles and hubs too, look into those!
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
Nice paint, that's actually pretty cool! One thing you will absolutely have to do is upgrade the drag link and tie-rod, the steering will be super floppy and 'squishy' with the plastic ones. It won't want to turn very well. It makes a huge difference putting aluminum ones on, first thing I did to mine (I started with an RTR.) Knuckles and hubs too, look into those!
Thanks for the advice, i'll look into it for sure, I weighted my tires a bit last night, so i'm sure that'll make it even worse..who makes a good set??
Old 06-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcralwer7 View Post
Thanks for the advice, i'll look into it for sure, I weighted my tires a bit last night, so i'm sure that'll make it even worse..who makes a good set??
I'm going to go with the Vanquish ones, a little more on the spendy side but they make awesome stuff.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
I'm going to go with the Vanquish ones, a little more on the spendy side but they make awesome stuff.
I figured you'd say that, everyone says Vanquish is awesome..i better give them a try! Thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

You can also make your own links if you are on a budget.

Desert Recluse Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strap's desert Wraith *new wheels* strap624 Axial Wraith 12 10-03-2011 11:04 AM