Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Why is my Wraith doing this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2017, 12:31 PM   #1

Default Why is my Wraith doing this?

I just traded for a Wraith and don't understand why it's setup the way it is. It's had several upgrades:Hobbywing 13.5T brushless system, metal links, hi-tec servo, 32p gears, Integy full cage to name a few. Running on 2S. My problem is he's supposed to be sending me the program cord for the ESC, so I don't think it's on crawler mode for one. And he said that it had so much power that it was snapping driveshafts, so he had to reverse the tranny and axles. It's got decent speed in forward and it's very slow in reverse. If I reverse the throttle channel on the TX, it's backwards of course, but will stand up in a wheely in reverse and slow in forward. I know with a sensored system I can't just reverse two motor wires. Can anyone tell me what I'm dealing with here or why he did it the way he did. Can you not cut the power back in the ESC or use a driveshaft that won't break? I guess I need to reverse everything back around the way it should be, but don't really know where to go from there. I'm hoping when I get the program cord that I can change ESC parameters on my PC. I'm not a newb, but don't know anything about sensored brushless systems. Please help! I think I could have a helluva rig if I can get it setup right. All of my experience to date is with aircraft sensorless systems and brushed electric and nitro surface vehicles. Thanks
flyboy4016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: Why is my Wraith doing this?

A lot of mechanical or ESC programmed timing for the motor maybe.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy4016 View Post
I just traded for a Wraith and don't understand why it's setup the way it is. It's had several upgrades:Hobbywing 13.5T brushless system, metal links, hi-tec servo, 32p gears, Integy full cage to name a few. Running on 2S. My problem is he's supposed to be sending me the program cord for the ESC, so I don't think it's on crawler mode for one. And he said that it had so much power that it was snapping driveshafts, so he had to reverse the tranny and axles. It's got decent speed in forward and it's very slow in reverse. If I reverse the throttle channel on the TX, it's backwards of course, but will stand up in a wheely in reverse and slow in forward. I know with a sensored system I can't just reverse two motor wires. Can anyone tell me what I'm dealing with here or why he did it the way he did. Can you not cut the power back in the ESC or use a driveshaft that won't break? I guess I need to reverse everything back around the way it should be, but don't really know where to go from there. I'm hoping when I get the program cord that I can change ESC parameters on my PC. I'm not a newb, but don't know anything about sensored brushless systems. Please help! I think I could have a helluva rig if I can get it setup right. All of my experience to date is with aircraft sensorless systems and brushed electric and nitro surface vehicles. Thanks

sounds like to me he didnt have a clue how to properly set the ESC up... just throw boxes of parts at it mentality. when you get the cord you should put it back the way its supposed to be and start from scratch.

what model of HW esc and motor is it running?
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:17 PM   #4

XERUN V3.1 Stock Spec sensored ESC and XERUN Bandit G2 13.5T 3000KV motor
Old 08-14-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I would definitely put the trans and axles back where they belong, then use the program wire which is just a servo extension wire with 2 female ends on it, and set the programing for what a crawler should have. If you have a couple of junk servos you can cut the wires off and splice them together to make your own "programing" cable
Old 08-14-2017, 05:41 PM   #6

If I have the program wire he's gonna send me, can I do everything to the ESC through my pc through a USB port(via a downloadable program), or do I have to have Hobbywing's program box also? And if I put everything back like it was, what about the problems he was having breaking driveshafts?
Old 08-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #7
RCC Addict

A 3000kv on 2s is not even close to the max power some of these get stuffed into them.
I too would be turning everything back around per stock & starting out again.

Depends entirely one what drive shafts he was breaking.
If it had nothing but stock Axial WB & they were merely twisting thats easily fixed with a piece of 1/4 tube inserted into them.
If it's a Spawn the WB8 HD shafts are better & should be capable of dealing with that power combo.
If it's breaking MIP shafts then it's a set up issue more likely related to a stupid huge lift kit & crap driveshaft angles.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
A 3000kv on 2s is not even close to the max power some of these get stuffed into them.
I too would be turning everything back around per stock & starting out again.

Depends entirely one what drive shafts he was breaking.
If it had nothing but stock Axial WB & they were merely twisting thats easily fixed with a piece of 1/4 tube inserted into them.
If it's a Spawn the WB8 HD shafts are better & should be capable of dealing with that power combo.
If it's breaking MIP shafts then it's a set up issue more likely related to a stupid huge lift kit & crap driveshaft angles.
It's not a Spawn, but not sure if they're stock Wraith driveshafts either. This is my first Wraith so I'm still ignorant on a lot of things with it. They do have metal splines, I know that much, and he said it was busting the splines off. I'm pretty sure the stance of it is basically stock, so the shaft angles shouldn't be the problem. It has King faux reservoir shocks on it. His lhs guy told him they didn't need oil in them since it was just a crawler, to just put a few drops in to keep them lubricated... Still smh on that one...
Old 08-14-2017, 11:15 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If I have the program wire he's gonna send me, can I do everything to the ESC through my pc through a USB port(via a downloadable program), or do I have to have Hobbywing's program box also? And if I put everything back like it was, what about the problems he was having breaking driveshafts?

there should have been a program box as well...the cable may be a usb style cable also..not sure on that... if its got the usb style cable, then there should be a program you can download to program the ESC
Old 08-15-2017, 08:36 AM   #10

Quote:
It's not a Spawn, but not sure if they're stock Wraith driveshafts either. This is my first Wraith so I'm still ignorant on a lot of things with it. They do have metal splines, I know that much, and he said it was busting the splines off. I'm pretty sure the stance of it is basically stock, so the shaft angles shouldn't be the problem. It has King faux reservoir shocks on it. His lhs guy told him they didn't need oil in them since it was just a crawler, to just put a few drops in to keep them lubricated... Still smh on that one...
He said it had stock driveshafts, then he tried Boom, then Integy, and now it has Hot Racing, and it was breaking them all. And he changed the stock locked tranny to a Deadbolt slipper tranny, but had the slipper tightened all the way down. So why was it breaking all those driveshafts, especially if the rig comes with a locked tranny and lot of people are running that kind of power combo in them??
Old 08-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I have a castle 3800 kv on 3c and I'm running the stock spawn driveshafts with no issue. After you sort the ESC issue check for binding in the axles. Maybe it's shimmed way too tight putting stress on the shafts.
Farabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:56 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

"He said it had stock driveshafts, then he tried Boom, then Integy, and now it has Hot Racing, and it was breaking them all. And he changed the stock locked tranny to a Deadbolt slipper tranny, but had the slipper tightened all the way down. So why was it breaking all those driveshafts, especially if the rig comes with a locked tranny and lot of people are running that kind of power combo in them??"

Cheap drive shafts wont hold up to big power get mip shafts at least there rebuildable if you do break them i have some cheap O shafts that are holding up ok but there on very low powered rigs my buddy had integy shafts brand new and it lasted 3 minutes at axial fest he got mip and no more issues im running a 1/8th scale motor in my wraith with the mip shafts and i havent had one issue since installing them the spawn drive shafts held up ok the center splined part was snapping clean off i probably would have stuck with them if i could have found them lol
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:06 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Sorry Pictures.

Quote:
He said it had stock driveshafts, then he tried Boom, then Integy, and now it has Hot Racing, and it was breaking them all. And he changed the stock locked tranny to a Deadbolt slipper tranny, but had the slipper tightened all the way down. So why was it breaking all those driveshafts, especially if the rig comes with a locked tranny and lot of people are running that kind of power combo in them??
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote