Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Bodge Job Wroncho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Bodge Job Wroncho

This is my go at a Wraith/SCX10 hybrid. It was made up from various battered bits and pieces I had hanging around, the usual stuff you throw into a box and only delve into when you find it months later.

I had the Wraith trans and the axles already, the links I picked up with the chassis that's now adorned by my Dingo shell.

The chassis I swapped with a set of 2.2 wheels and the panels for my old Thundershot that sat on my shelf, and I got the 1.9 Ripsaws from another mate, then the strip and build began.

New bearings all round, found the axles had beef tubes, CVD's and under/over geared diff rings fitted, plus the Maltese cross lockers which I know alot of people don't like but they have worked fine for me so far. (I shimmed them up with a slice from a Coke can so there is no slop now). Random big fat chunky props chopped to fit the short wheelbase.

Chucked a Tamiya Sport tuned motor in there, 20t pinion, and a really cheap Mtronics ESC and it moved under it's own steam.

CC BEC on 6v (always fit these now, why did it take so long for me to realise this!!), a Hitec 645 servo (quick enough and strong enough in this lightweight car) and an Acoms 2.4g receiver.

Chopped the rear of the cage then braced it with an old plastic set of links, added a few cross braces between the shock mounts and generally replaced most of the screws when they showed signs of stripping the threads with slightly larger ones.

Painted the bonnet (hood) and roof with some desert sand coloured paint I had knocking around (the previous owner had put about 5 layers of different colours on it with a brush) and chucked a 5200mah hardcase under the bonnet and away we go.

I am very surprised how well this thing drives, considering there is no weight in the wheels (tyres glued to the rims), it scrabbles up anything, flexes okay but not too much, and isn't blisteringly fast (yet!!)

Plans?? Definately getting ally body panels, locate the electrics into a waterproof box in the rear battery well (currently velcro'd to the passenger footwell) and then maybe have a go at making a small front bumper with a winch mount, then fit one of my PG Tips Monkee's as the driver.

Then, and only then, will I look at making it faster, the reverse direction gearbox is the one thing that really annoys me as all of my fast motors would have to run backwards, grrr.

Anyway, here it is, hope you like it.

Not bad for something made from scrap, crap and a box of leftovers.
Tonysmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Bodge Job Wroncho

Not bad at all, i've never like the look of wraith/honchos, but this one looks good!!
xjcralwer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm trying to keep it simple, it's made from spare bits I had hanging around, and the only new piece I will have on it will be the alloy body panels, unless I can scrounge some used half decent ones from someone over here in the UK in which case I may change it's name to 'The Binner Project'
Old 06-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

The binner project seems fitting haha, it'll look good with some panels, i think you should keep it the same color though, looks cool!
Old 06-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I like it too, it's really rough though, so the newer set of panels will be sprayed on both sides, silver backed with black inside and this desert sand on the outside.

Then, I may end up getting carried away and robbing some of my sons Star Wars weapons to kit it out with some 'big boys toys'
Old 06-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonysmini View Post
I like it too, it's really rough though, so the newer set of panels will be sprayed on both sides, silver backed with black inside and this desert sand on the outside.

Then, I may end up getting carried away and robbing some of my sons Star Wars weapons to kit it out with some 'big boys toys'
Haha now theres an idea..it would remind my of an Army Humvee sorta, with some weapons of mass destruction slapped on it!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I'm thinking about lowering it a bit more and going to a lighter shock oil to make it a bit more supple, if I don't bash it to death before then.

It lives in the boot of my car as my 'run anywhere' rig whenever I feel in the mood or spot somewhere I want to try out.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Well, managed to kill the motor in this tonight. I found an MTB playground in a small forest near me and took my rigs out for a spin.

My Dingo and Wraith performed as faultless as ever (will this stock Wraith motor EVER DIE!!!) This baby though started acting up after about 20 minutes, it started hesitating when I gave it full bore on the trigger, then it lost about 20% of it's speed. It wasn't the Lipo cut off, a maxxed out 5200mah 40c battery lasts well over an hour in this, probably more as I usually sack it after that. I picked it up, caught a whiff of hot magnets, and realised I'd toasted the motor.

I stripped it down and found the motor full of dirt and pine needles, looks like they have imbedded themselves in the comm and brushes. (Teach me to run it in the puddles in the forest.)

Time to throw in another cheapy motor, good job I have a few knocking around.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
This is my go at a Wraith/SCX10 hybrid. It was made up from various battered bits and pieces I had hanging around, the usual stuff you throw into a box and only delve into when you find it months later.

....then fit one of my PG Tips Monkee's as the driver.

Then, and only then, will I look at making it faster, the reverse direction gearbox is the one thing that really annoys me as all of my fast motors would have to run backwards, grrr.

Anyway, here it is, hope you like it.

Not bad for something made from scrap, crap and a box of leftovers.
I like it! The Monkees driver is cool, I'll have to search those up. Flip the axles round and you won't need the reverse motors.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I like it! The Monkees driver is cool, I'll have to search those up. Flip the axles round and you won't need the reverse motors.
Here's one Monkee in my Wraith, I have another 5 or 6 to put in various other cars. My kids pick them up at boot fairs all the time.

I never thought of swapping the SCX axles around, does that work then? (I flipped the diff rings on my Wraith to sort that out but there's no room in the SCX axles for that.)
Old 06-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Here's one Monkee in my Wraith, I have another 5 or 6 to put in various other cars. My kids pick them up at boot fairs all the time.

I never thought of swapping the SCX axles around, does that work then? (I flipped the diff rings on my Wraith to sort that out but there's no room in the SCX axles for that.)
Yes, just look carefully at the ring gear position and flip them around. IIRC just flip both axles upside down and re-attach all links shocks etc to other side.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Cheers for that, I'll give it a go this weekend.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:18 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Looks like the ESC is FUBAR'd too, keeps hesitating when I go forwards, tried it with a different motor, on another car and with a different battery.

Good job Mtroniks do a decent warranty.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Up and running again with an LRP AI runner ESC, small, blue and works a treat. No hesitation, double tap for brakes/reverse and fits nicely into a hobby box.

Just need to clean the forest gunk out of the chassis and sort my body panels out.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I asked this on another thread, but do you guys know if the scx10 axle conversion and smaller tires make this C2 legal?
jkabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #16

Looks good, Wish they made those walker evans in a 2.2.
emartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Had a bit of a revamp.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Up until Sunday it was the scruffy looking monkey driven Bronco in the right.

Bodge Job Wroncho - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Wroncho... Tmaxxed Axial SCX-10 6 02-29-2012 10:07 PM