Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Diesel's cookie-cutter plastic truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Diesel's cookie-cutter plastic truck

took the cookie cutter out to one of my favorite local crawl spots this morning.

dirty lens, overexposed, whatever...

Last edited by dieselfuel; 07-04-2012 at 12:38 PM.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

spent a few hours in the garage today. swapped out the stock lower links for some traxxas and rocksmith links and installed maxx shafts.

this happened the first time out with this rig. those rod ends just dont hold up.

i'm using traxxas #5319 for the rear links. i added a slight bend to them. just cut the skid a little, add a washer and they fit. the washer isn't necessary but slop like that drives me crazy. WB ended up at 13 5/8". I don't remember what it was stock.

rocksmith Ti on the front. i had these laying around, just happened to be the same length. or close enough to it.

trimmed the trans case and gear cover to fit the maxx shafts. the rear was a direct bolt on, the front needed all the work. i also swapped to 48p gears. these maxx shafts are a few years old now, i used to use them on TLT comp rigs.

the stock bumper is shot...

Last edited by dieselfuel; 07-05-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Looking great Scott!! Hope to see it in person someday!
Going Up! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Up! View Post
Looking great Scott!! Hope to see it in person someday!
If you guys do another ultra 4 race down in St George I'll be there.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Do you have any good pics of what you did to the front of the tranny to fit the max shafts? Been wanting to do it when I run out of stock shafts.

sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2.0
sidehiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
If you guys do another ultra 4 race down in St George I'll be there.
Next one is going to be at 3 peaks in Cedar City. I think everyone pretty much decided 3 peaks is a cooler venue than STG. I like red rock, and STG comps are a blast, but I gotta admit, 3 peaks was a SICK location!
Going Up! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidehiller View Post
Do you have any good pics of what you did to the front of the tranny to fit the max shafts? Been wanting to do it when I run out of stock shafts.

sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2.0
ill get some tonight, you basically just nbeed to cut the gear cover and trim back the mounting plate for the gear cover. then the yoke for the maxx shaft has to be shaved a little to clear the housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Up! View Post
Next one is going to be at 3 peaks in Cedar City. I think everyone pretty much decided 3 peaks is a cooler venue than STG. I like red rock, and STG comps are a blast, but I gotta admit, 3 peaks was a SICK location!

i agree, 3 peaks is awesome, that was the first place i ever crawled a 1:1 rig. area 51 at StG is cool, just harder to access. i'll check the utah section and try to make it to 3 peaks.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

WOW!! That is a cookie cutter truck! Nice job on your mods so far, do you think you will to a droop suspension set up?
LetsGoMuddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoMuddin View Post
WOW!! That is a cookie cutter truck! Nice job on your mods so far, do you think you will to a droop suspension set up?
nope. i love the suspension the way it is. it sits about 75% squatted as is, no need to change it.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Took cookie cutter out night wheelin last night. No LEDs yet so I strapped a flashlight to the cage, had a blast! I'm definitely putting lights on this rig.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341675376.294005.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  82.5 KB
Old 07-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Looks really good man. Are you going to keep it white? I think it stands out weell with the black plastic. But if you do have another paint scheme or a Wrap what are your plans?
Trentenowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentenowns View Post
Looks really good man. Are you going to keep it white? I think it stands out weell with the black plastic. But if you do have another paint scheme or a Wrap what are your plans?
Planning on some aluminum panels, probably painted red. Gonna do a roof too. I've got the .025" aluminum here, I might try making them myself.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
spent a few hours in the garage today. swapped out the stock lower links for some traxxas and rocksmith links and installed maxx shafts.

i'm using traxxas #5319 for the rear links. i added a slight bend to them. just cut the skid a little, add a washer and they fit. the washer isn't necessary but slop like that drives me crazy. WB ended up at 13 5/8". I don't remember what it was stock.

rocksmith Ti on the front. i had these laying around, just happened to be the same length. or close enough to it.

trimmed the trans case and gear cover to fit the maxx shafts. the rear was a direct bolt on, the front needed all the work. i also swapped to 48p gears. these maxx shafts are a few years old now, i used to use them on TLT comp rigs.
Looks like you need a shim between the Maxx shaft and the outer pinion bearings, they appear to be walking out of the case?

HOw's your runtime with those batteries? I get about 30-40 minutes with my 1300 3s Turnigys,but only 10-15 minutes if the crawling is really steep and/or lots of bound up positions. :( But I don't want my batteries too heavy and making me top heavy.

Last edited by Natedog; 07-08-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Looks like you need a shim between the Maxx shaft and the outer pinion bearings, they appear to be walking out of the case?

HOw's your runtime with those batteries? I get about 30-40 minutes with my 1300 3s Turnigys,but only 10-15 minutes if the crawling is really steep and/or lots of bound up positions. :( But I don't want my batteries too heavy and making me top heavy.

good eye, i do need some kinda shim, don't have anything here at home but i'll raid the hardware bins at work tomorrow.

the 2200s last a long time, apparently the mamba max and tekin handwound 35t are pretty efficient. i'm getting an hour and 15min or so.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, what's your gearing? I tried to count gear teeth from your pic, but hard to see. My gearing at 14/54 is fun but changed to 13/54 for better crawling and bought 12 tooth pinion in case that's not low enough. I'm sure your gearing helps run-time. I'm running Turnigy 1300 3s1p 20C packs from my Honcho and debating on 2200 or 3300 and soft vs hardcase. I carry my batteries, tools and parts in my Camelbak when out crawling (along with 3 liters of water).
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Thanks, what's your gearing? I tried to count gear teeth from your pic, but hard to see. My gearing at 14/54 is fun but changed to 13/54 for better crawling and bought 12 tooth pinion in case that's not low enough. I'm sure your gearing helps run-time. I'm running Turnigy 1300 3s1p 20C packs from my Honcho and debating on 2200 or 3300 and soft vs hardcase. I carry my batteries, tools and parts in my Camelbak when out crawling (along with 3 liters of water).
i do the same thing, batteries, spare parts and tools all go into my backpack. i velcro batteries to my radio also so even if i dont have my bag, ive got a battery. the 32p gears were 11/60, i had to swap back to 48p for the maxx shafts so now its 18/84. i wonder if the maxx shafts would clear a 54t spur...
Old 07-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel

i do the same thing, batteries, spare parts and tools all go into my backpack. i velcro batteries to my radio also so even if i dont have my bag, ive got a battery. the 32p gears were 11/60, i had to swap back to 48p for the maxx shafts so now its 18/84. i wonder if the maxx shafts would clear a 54t spur...
Same here for the backpack... If you crawl, then you hike, then you need a backpack. Never get onto the trails without tools. I'm now partial to the molle2 rifleman pack, without all the attachments of course.

14/54 32p barely clears my mips. Just picked up a wraith mip hub (its a lil longer than standard mip hubs) for the spur side output to try a 60t spur. I'm thinkin the maxx shafts are bigger than mips.

Last edited by Meatwad; 07-08-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

so last night i was bored and i had the material so i decided to make my own aluminum panels.

not too bad considering it was my first try and i cut it out with lexan scissors.

i took the wraith out today for a little hill climbing and muddin. no real rock in sight but damn it was fun!

stuck

still stuck
Old 07-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

That's sweet! Mud bogging rock racer!
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
so last night i was bored and i had the material so i decided to make my own aluminum panels.

not too bad considering it was my first try and i cut it out with lexan scissors.

i took the wraith out today for a little hill climbing and muddin. no real rock in sight but damn it was fun!

stuck

still stuck
We finally found some mud in vegas,...lol..it was alot of fun, not the cleaning part.
Erbing is offline   Reply With Quote

Diesel's cookie-cutter plastic truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
T3rry's Money pit-Ever Evolving-Team Plastic Truck - UGC Viper inspired Custom VP10 T3rry Axial XR10 34 11-28-2011 12:08 PM
Anyone in to Diesel's? mudn_1 Chit Chat 94 04-21-2011 10:11 PM
Christmas Cookie Recipe Dragon51 Chit Chat 0 12-14-2010 10:10 PM
Girl Scout Takes Cookie Sales To YouTube constantmotion Chit Chat 0 03-12-2009 08:08 AM