Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: W.O.D. inspired family 4 seater buggy, "Southern Comfort" by CFM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #261
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: W.O.D. inspired family 4 seater buggy, "Southern Comfort" by CFM

More photos! What are the rubber seals for?
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #262
Metal shaper

They help distribute the load. Saves bearings from being destroyed. Think of it like solid motor mounts compared to urethane. The solid lockers like the highland are hard on equipment. I promise though, the floating element of these is not loose in anyway. Talking with Steve earlier, they tested with a 12lb trick on 6s big brushless power without failure. The heat treatment was worth the wait. They are also 1oz lighter than the Highland steel locker they are replacing. These weigh 5/8oz without ring gear and ring gear hardware.

CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #263
I wanna be Dave

Interesting. I never would have guessed a floating design would work. But now seeing them, it seems to make sense.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #264
Metal shaper

I was a little concerned also until they were in hand and talking to Steve about the testing. No worries now.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #265
I wanna be Dave

Hey...it's VP...when is the last time they ever let anyone down?
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #266
Metal shaper

One of those days.
Started off good by getting the servo mount modified. I believe that's it now for fabrication on the chassis stuff so I can get it stripped down this weekend and prepped for paint and final assembly.
It got crappy when I installed the new rear locker. Apparently when I cut the rear universals, I cut one .100 to short and the set screw doesn't make contact.
Then my least favorite part of placing electronics. Bought new lipos for my entire fleet. Got a 3300 3s and it's to big. Just thought it would fit and that's what I get for thinking.
Looks like an 1800mah will probably fit after measuring. I have plenty of 1000mah 3s but unsure of run time on a heavier rig. I mostly just slow crawl and battery change is gonna be a pain.
Any suggestions?
Old 09-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #267
I wanna be Dave

I take it you only made room for one battery in the rig at a time? If you could wire up two on a switch so you could just flip the switch to go from one battery to the other.

Last edited by doublej; 09-14-2012 at 01:11 AM.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:30 AM   #268
www.team3sixrc.com

Clay, when the Teenycar weighed in at 12lbs.
The only battery I can fit is a 1300mAh 3s 11.1 Turnigy.

Last year there were 4 courses at the Nats
I most likely could of ran a new pack for each course, but
I ran 1 pack for 3 courses before switching.
I believe you had 15 min. To clear the course.
Cant recall to be exact.

On the TTC I ran 5 outta 7 of the Courses.
Rubicon stuck me right outta the box
And because of shitty wiring on my behalf, I didnt finish the Last course.
But again, 15 minutes a course was max I believe
And I only went through 3 packs.

That truck was running a 35t HH motor at 87t spur/14t pinion.
This year I weight 8lbs. W/ a 22t HH motor and 80t spur/20t pinion.
Mucho fastero! And just about the same run times when testing, maybe shave off a Min.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #269
www.team3sixrc.com

Ohh and BTW.
Jerry from DMG, when he built my Dreager Buggy.
He built it so a full size battery pack could be placed under the rear seat and accessed by removing the side panel.

Basically, he made a box that the rear seats can mount on and the battery sat on wire mesh that was welded to the floor.
You can see it sorta in one of the pics here. Its a silver welded box that mounted to the floor.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=888341

Last edited by team3six; 09-14-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #270
I wanna be Dave

looking good clay!
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #271
Metal shaper

Thanks Norm. I'm gonna order an 1800 and 1300 tonight and see what I can do with them. The damn 4 seat design really makes things cramped as far as electronics placement. It all has to go under the good and then try and keep it concealed. Wish there was room under the rear seat in mine.
This was my first time building a truck of this caliber and wasn't thought out very well when it came down to this stuff. Next one will be much different in that aspect, and all the parts are almost here for it.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #272
Quarry Creeper

beautifil work.. speachless
Steelfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #273
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Ohh and BTW.
Jerry from DMG, when he built my Dreager Buggy.
He built it so a full size battery pack could be placed under the rear seat and accessed by removing the side panel.

Basically, he made a box that the rear seats can mount on and the battery sat on wire mesh that was welded to the floor.
You can see it sorta in one of the pics here. Its a silver welded box that mounted to the floor.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=888341
I need to check this out, another sweet rig!
Maddog Madigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #274
Quarry Creeper

Well after a long couple of hours reading this whole thread, page by page, the only I know now it’s that all the little I was learning here at the forum is just another scale in the scale you take things… the sick ability you have about machining this little stuff… your axles, the master pieces here, just blew out my head sir
I can see you work on the 1:1 rock crawler world too, so what else could you wish???? Oh yes more time to play with your toys, right???
Again the whole rig is turning awesome, the guy who built the scale WOD chassis has a grand talent too and your machinery is top notch sir
The only I can wish some day is to have a little percentage of that nice fabrication, if not I’ll have to get a direct flight to your location and spend my next vacations sniffing at your shop, believe me that it’d be better than spending my vacations in any other place.
Keep rocking this stuff man!!! Really awesome…how to turn off the computer today…I know I’m gonna have some nightmare…of course the good ones!!!
See you later
El Vasco!!!
EL VASCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #275
Metal shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL VASCO View Post
Well after a long couple of hours reading this whole thread, page by page, the only I know now it’s that all the little I was learning here at the forum is just another scale in the scale you take things… the sick ability you have about machining this little stuff… your axles, the master pieces here, just blew out my head sir
I can see you work on the 1:1 rock crawler world too, so what else could you wish???? Oh yes more time to play with your toys, right???
Again the whole rig is turning awesome, the guy who built the scale WOD chassis has a grand talent too and your machinery is top notch sir
The only I can wish some day is to have a little percentage of that nice fabrication, if not I’ll have to get a direct flight to your location and spend my next vacations sniffing at your shop, believe me that it’d be better than spending my vacations in any other place.
Keep rocking this stuff man!!! Really awesome…how to turn off the computer today…I know I’m gonna have some nightmare…of course the good ones!!!
See you later
El Vasco!!!
Wow!! Thanks for taking time to go through the thread and check the whole build out. Thanks for the kind words and for acknowledging Tyler's(muddauberJr) work on the chassis.

I've got a beefier servo on the way and have figured out my battery situation I believe thanks to Norm(team3six). Machined a new rear universal today. Also stripped the truck down last night and brought the chassis to work for blasting and primer. Paint tonight and assembly starting Sunday evening. Taking off Monday for my Bday and will hopefully start getting some drive time on it so I can make Parker's G6 in Hot Springs the end of the month and carry one of the 1:1s for a fun filled weekend.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #276
RCC Addict

It sucks....

Send it to me and I'll fix the battery issues
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #277
Quarry Creeper

First of all, yes it took a long time to read your whole thread from first page to last one and English not being my first language… well I need to do a bit of effort to try to write here and that the general idea I want to tell can be understood…so when I found a thread like your, with so dedicated work and passion for the hobby, beautiful piece of art like your axles, well my friend, the less I can do, my 2 cents as you like to say, is to try to make a decent commentary about what I’m seeing here, many of you guys take this hobby to a very hi level and believe me that for a guy like me living “Almost at the end of the World” well this forum and the cool stuff and people I can found here is really amazing and helpful!!!
As I told you before, keeps your stuff rocking!!!!
See you and thanks to share
El Vasco!!!
EL VASCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #278
Metal shaper

Thanks again.
Base coat.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347675171.591551.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  114.4 KB
Finish coat
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347675189.591599.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  77.4 KB
Old 09-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #279
RCC Addict

Looks chrome, is it splatz? Love the finish.
Maddog Madigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #280
www.team3sixrc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog Madigan View Post
Looks chrome, is it splatz? Love the finish.
Splatz? Lol
Dont you mean Spaz Stix

He did a thing that painters do. If you want a bright chrime look then you use white as a backing. If you want a deep moly look you use black as a base.

I believe spaz wouldnt work on the outside as its brittle when dry and flakes off.

W.O.D. inspired family 4 seater buggy, "Southern Comfort" by CFM - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Southern Comfort" by CFM CarterFab Axial Wraith 687 08-13-2014 06:28 AM
"riddler" southern buggy build ROLANDROCKSHOP Axial Wraith 147 10-25-2013 01:54 PM
RECON G6 Challenge "The Superlift Southern Showdown G6" & "Outlaw Terra-X" DRIVNMF Recon G6 227 10-19-2012 10:26 AM
mg200 southern buggy build "HEADCASE" ROLANDROCKSHOP Axial Wraith 187 03-04-2012 06:35 PM