Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: W.O.D. inspired family 4 seater buggy, "Southern Comfort" by CFM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #321
PapaGriz Yo

Default Re: W.O.D. inspired family 4 seater buggy, "Southern Comfort" by CFM

5.75" tall tires, overdrive gears, and 87/18 gearing, you are overgeared.

I would recommend underdrive gears and 87/14 gearing since you do mostly crawling, but UD gears are unavailable.

Drop that pinion to a 14T and that will give you the same final reduction as switching your diffs to UD gears.

If slow crawling is your primary focus, sticking with a brushed motor is your best choice.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #322
Quarry Creeper

Clay,

Looks great. Congrats on the finished product.

Later,
Jon D.
spankbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #323
Metal shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
5.75" tall tires, overdrive gears, and 87/18 gearing, you are overgeared.

I would recommend underdrive gears and 87/14 gearing since you do mostly crawling, but UD gears are unavailable.

Drop that pinion to a 14T and that will give you the same final reduction as switching your diffs to UD gears.

If slow crawling is your primary focus, sticking with a brushed motor is your best choice.
DAMN BIG TIRES!! Hahaha
My diffs are shaved so the under drive would have to be machined heavily and probably wouldn't leave much contact for the pinion. That's why I originally went with these gears. They are smaller OD on the ring gear and didn't require any mod to fit. Should've just turned down the stock ratio HD set I had but I wasn't thinking back then.
Norm also suggested the 14 pinion so I will start there.
What about voltage and c rating. The pack that was in there and that fits is a 1000mah 3s 20c. Not sure of the burst. I can run 4s but want reliability. Eddie just burned up an FXR pro running 4s.
CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #324
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterFab View Post
DAMN BIG TIRES!! Hahaha
My diffs are shaved so the under drive would have to be machined heavily and probably wouldn't leave much contact for the pinion. That's why I originally went with these gears. They are smaller OD on the ring gear and didn't require any mod to fit. Should've just turned down the stock ratio HD set I had but I wasn't thinking back then.
Norm also suggested the 14 pinion so I will start there.
What about voltage and c rating. The pack that was in there and that fits is a 1000mah 3s 20c. Not sure of the burst. I can run 4s but want reliability. Eddie just burned up an FXR pro running 4s.

I don't know what motor you are running but I will try to give some suggestions.
If you want reliability stay away from 4S, it's too much voltage and will cause you to go thru brushes like a bag of sunflower seeds.

A 1000mAh, 20c battery can only handle a 20 amp draw so you need to be careful of what motor and gearing you run. Lowering the gearing will help take some load off the motor, thus taking some load off the battery.
Personally I wouldn't run anything lower than a 45 turn motor in your rig. But that should work good on 3S.
If you find you can afford to give up some wheelspeed a 55T motor will help compensate for your gearing and be easier on the batteries even more. This would also help extend run times.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #325
Metal shaper

It's one of the 13t Crawlmaster motors Holmes came out with for the Wraith. Norm suggested going up turn wise also. I'm waiting on a phone call about some stuff to see wether or not I need to pull some late nights getting this dialed in or if I'll be running my sons scaler.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #326
Metal shaper

I have a Holmes 55t torque master I believe, it's an older motor, and a hand wound 55t tekin that's I'm my sons scaler. I know on 2s, it don't move very quick. Maybe I'll put it in mine and put the 13t in his. He is running the axial esc that comes in the wraith and don't know the turn limit on it.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #327
PapaGriz Yo

That 13T Crawlmaster is too high KV for your setup. You need a higher amp battery to run that. The kv is close to a 27T standard motor so the Axial ESC should be ok with it.

If you go to the 55 turn motor you could try it with your 87/18 gearing and see how it does. That would help keep some wheel speed and the added torque of the 55T might be able to pull the higher gearing.

Either the Holmes or Tekin motor will be fine, I don't think you will notice a difference unless the Holmes motor is just worn out.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #328
Metal shaper

If I remember right, I think I pulled the Holmes motor cuz the brushes were stuck and put the Tekin in my sons then. I did put power to the Holmes the other night and it turned over.
Grizz, if you could pick any brushed motor regardless of brand for my setup what would you suggest? The electronics stuff is still very new to me but am starting to pick up on it.
I've been runnin that Tekin for a couple years and it's very smooth.
Sorry for all the newb stuff.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #329
I wanna be Dave

this rig is just out of bounds, all the little things like the scale heims and little hex hardware is awesome!! those axles are just incredible!
this is a rig that will go down in rcc history
blakeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #330
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
If I remember right, I think I pulled the Holmes motor cuz the brushes were stuck and put the Tekin in my sons then. I did put power to the Holmes the other night and it turned over.
Grizz, if you could pick any brushed motor regardless of brand for my setup what would you suggest? The electronics stuff is still very new to me but am starting to pick up on it.
I've been runnin that Tekin for a couple years and it's very smooth.
Sorry for all the newb stuff.
No problem man. Alot of this is just experience from trying different stuff.
I remember that you once told me you wanted this for slower technical crawing and not rock bouncing, so that's what I'm going off of.

I can't pick any motor for your setup because honestly, I think a 45T is your limit. What you have is a Geo Metro fuel tank and fuel pump so there is no way you can put a nice 502 in there because you can't feed it.

My advice is to find a way to get a better battery in there. Surely you can fit a 1300mAh 30c battery like this in there. That 45 Amps gives us something to work with.
I've never tried to hide the fact that I'm not a fan of 540 motors, so my first recomendation is a 10T Cobalt Puller. It would be awesome in this buld with all the torque it makes and the low speed control.

My second choice would be that 13T crawlmaster because of the low speed control.
A very close third would be the Brood Stump Humper. I like the fact that it is a 550 can (extra torque) and the 25 turn winding sounds good. I have not used this motor but I imagine it being very close to the old Kyosho Mag Mayhem (which is still one of my favorite motors) which had great torque, wheelspeed, but lacked just a bit in low speed control.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #331
Metal shaper

That battery will fit it looks like. Nice job buddy. Haha
I sent John an email through his site to try and get an answer from him also. Hopefully get something ordered today so I can relax a little.
I've heard good things about the 10t puller, but is that gonna be one of those for sale ad finds? Site shows they are discontinued.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #332
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
That battery will fit it looks like. Nice job buddy. Haha
I sent John an email through his site to try and get an answer from him also. Hopefully get something ordered today so I can relax a little.
I've heard good things about the 10t puller, but is that gonna be one of those for sale ad finds? Site shows they are discontinued.
Oh, nice!! Glad that will fit.

Yea, unfortunately you'd have to search the classifieds to find a 10T Puller.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #333
Metal shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeski View Post
this rig is just out of bounds, all the little things like the scale heims and little hex hardware is awesome!! those axles are just incredible!
this is a rig that will go down in rcc history
Thanks. I sure hope it can have big status one of those days. Learned a lot from this build. Excited about the next one already.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #334
I wanna be Dave

Ok first you blow my mind of the build - now you fry it with all the electric tech.
Now I need to go look at my setup.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #335
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post

My second choice would be that 13T crawlmaster because of the low speed control.
A very close third would be the Brood Stump Humper. I like the fact that it is a 550 can (extra torque) and the 25 turn winding sounds good. I have not used this motor but I imagine it being very close to the old Kyosho Mag Mayhem (which is still one of my favorite motors) which had great torque, wheelspeed, but lacked just a bit in low speed control.
You just inspired me to empty my PP account for a 13T crawlmaster and waterproofed BRXL.

Clay, if you'd like to bring the rig over to Austin for a little Bull Creek run, just let me know.

Later,
Jon D.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #336
Metal shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankbomb View Post
You just inspired me to empty my PP account for a 13T crawlmaster and waterproofed BRXL.

Clay, if you'd like to bring the rig over to Austin for a little Bull Creek run, just let me know.

Later,
Jon D.
Make sure an gear it properly, even in a regular Wraith. Saw on the site it says to use a 16t pinion on a Wraith. So I was definitely over geared.
Picking up a 14t pinion and also a hand wound 35t just in case from Eddie @ Crawler InNovations tonight.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #337
Pebble Pounder

Tekin 45/55 lathe motor would be my rec. They last forever.
Never had a problem with em an I got them in 2008. Haha
Both my HH 13t I had, kept eating brushes.
muddauber jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #338
Metal shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddauber jr View Post
Tekin 45/55 lathe motor would be my rec. They last forever.
Never had a problem with em an I got them in 2008. Haha
Both my HH 13t I had, kept eating brushes.
Thats what Norm said would probably happen. Starting to think he knows what he's talking about. Haha
John ask got back with me and this to say,"I would keep with the TorqueMaster motors, they are higher quality than the trailmasters. If you want the same speed as the 13t Crawlmaster, get a 27t TorqueMaster. It will have more torque and drag brake as compared to the CM."
Old 09-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #339
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Make sure an gear it properly, even in a regular Wraith. Saw on the site it says to use a 16t pinion on a Wraith. So I was definitely over geared.
Picking up a 14t pinion and also a hand wound 35t just in case from Eddie @ Crawler InNovations tonight.
I'll just send him a PM. I'm running a 35T Tekin hand wound right now, but want as much power as possible before I start adding tube work and weight.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #340
www.team3sixrc.com

Ohhh power this power that.
If you want a go fast buggy buy a truck built to go fast. You want controlled speed and torque. Talk to john and get what he advises.

Ive got great speed and crawling running a 35t with a 80t spur and 20t pinion.
No overheating, and im not eating up brushes.

Or do a RS Pro and a Pro4 brushless
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote

W.O.D. inspired family 4 seater buggy, "Southern Comfort" by CFM - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Southern Comfort" by CFM CarterFab Axial Wraith 687 08-13-2014 06:28 AM
"riddler" southern buggy build ROLANDROCKSHOP Axial Wraith 147 10-25-2013 01:54 PM
RECON G6 Challenge "The Superlift Southern Showdown G6" & "Outlaw Terra-X" DRIVNMF Recon G6 227 10-19-2012 10:26 AM
mg200 southern buggy build "HEADCASE" ROLANDROCKSHOP Axial Wraith 187 03-04-2012 06:35 PM