Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: W.O.D. inspired family 4 seater buggy, "Southern Comfort" by CFM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #81
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default Re: W.O.D. inspired family 4 seater buggy, "Southern Comfort" by CFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
This thread gives me wood..........
i think you mean billet aluminum!
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #82
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
i think you mean billet aluminum!
Tru dat!
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #83
Metal shaper

Figuring out the panels. Gonna paint the chassis a light blue. Panels will be aluminum.

Thinking on the rear roof section, getting some very thin blue tinted lexan to cover the outer triangles an the center piece will be aluminum. That way rear passengers are protected from the Texas sun

Clay

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose
CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #84
www.team3sixrc.com

For the tint. Go on ebay and find a company called (paperstreetplastics)
They sell small pieces of tint with adhesive. Easy to put on and looks great. I used to do that with their smoke tint on my crawlers. If you cant find them, ill send ya a link when I get back.

The tint is .99 each
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #85
Metal shaper

Will do Norm.
I got a whole new level of respect for the guys building these crazy scalers. First off I shouldn't be working when I'm pissed off but that's another story. So much head scratching and everything seems to want to put up a fight.
Got my rear shafts today and the rear housing all painted up. Get home for assembly and the shafts are wrong. Plus, in order to run these axles in this chassis, the trans has to be flipped which causes another damn problem. The spur will get into the drivers seat, and there is no way in hell I'm cutting up Norm's fine work.
Painted the housing black to better show off the 3rd member and cool scale hardware.

You can still see kinda see the pretty welds that Bill Roncallo laid down for me.

So are you guys gonna be upset if I don't run the Ultimate 9s on this project, they will definitely go into another chassis and it will probably be the full titanium chassis that is currently in the works.
The Titans bolt right up and are still kick ass axles, plus the extra weight of them might help compensate for the heavier chassis up top.

Carter Fab & Machine: Hand Made Customs
Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #86
RCC Addict

Personally i liked the other axles more. Both are insanely nice but i kinda liked the others more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #87
Metal shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
Personally i liked the other axles more. Both are insanely nice but i kinda liked the others more.

You like the Titan60s more?

Old 07-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #88
RCC Addict

Yeah Im just not a huge fan of the big offset.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterFab View Post
Will do Norm.
I got a whole new level of respect for the guys building these crazy scalers. First off I shouldn't be working when I'm pissed off but that's another story. So much head scratching and everything seems to want to put up a fight.

I totally agree with you! I feel like I've been fighting my build for months now over stupid little things.

Anyway, fantastic looking build. You do some nice work - I'll definitely have to give you a ring next time I build something!
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah Tim, thats along the lines I was thinking. Gonna have to add some Teflon bumpers to mine though, can't be having metal on metal. Did you just weld the caps on once together?
So, on my bump stops the plugs are a press fit with loktite. I ended up drilling them out and tapping to 3mm so I could remove a set screw and put a drop of oil in it.

Quote:
Would like to run scale links but these rod ends are pretty sloppy. Any suggestions? Might have to be happy with just scale hardware.
Those rod ends look awesome but start out sloppy and get way worse after a little while......you wouldn't think it would be that hard to get decent tolerances between the ball and rod end. For $3.50 a pop I expect more....

Quote:
Will do Norm.
Got my rear shafts today and the rear housing all painted up. Get home for assembly and the shafts are wrong. Plus, in order to run these axles in this chassis, the trans has to be flipped which causes another damn problem. The spur will get into the drivers seat, and there is no way in hell I'm cutting up Norm's fine work.
Painted the housing black to better show off the 3rd member and cool scale hardware.

Those are sweet!

And yes, full custom built scalers are a pain in the ass sometimes, but the end result is so worth it. I love your custom machine work! It's some of the best out there.

Quote:
I think I like these axles more than the ultimate 9's.....
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #91
PapaGriz Yo

The Titan 60's fit the overall look of this rig better.

If you were building a comp style buggy the Ultimate 9's would fit, but for this build I'd use the Titan60's. They bring the sickness.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #92
Metal shaper

Thanks for the feedback. I was kinda feeling the same about the axles. When I saw the rear centered diff back there it just looked so at home. The titanium chassis will for sure be getting the Ultimate9s. And damn I still have to find a home for the BlackRock60s

Wife asked me how many damn trucks I was building when she heard me mention the other titanium chassis. I said I have to have one for each set of axles, DUH!!! Then she asked the forbidden question, " how much does all this cost"?

Old 07-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #93
RCC Addict

The blackrocks are my favorite out of all ur axes they look awesome. If u can't find a place for them send them to me i got a Rig that could use them :P

Old 07-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #94
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Wife asked me how many damn trucks I was building when she heard me mention the other titanium chassis. I said I have to have one for each set of axles, DUH!!! Then she asked the forbidden question, " how much does all this cost"?

How did this work out for you is that why you where angry? I am just waiting for my wifeto ask the same question, so all I can say is good luck!
darkmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #95
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I was kinda feeling the same about the axles. When I saw the rear centered diff back there it just looked so at home. The titanium chassis will for sure be getting the Ultimate9s. And damn I still have to find a home for the BlackRock60s

The Blackrocks would work on this as well. Those axles are so sick, I wish RC4WD could make them more affordable.

Quote:

When my wife asks that I always say "Are you sure you want to know? You shouldn't ask questions you don't want to hear the answer to."
Old 07-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #96
Rock Crawler

I agree, go with the Titan 60's . Make a southern buggy with the Blackrock's.
ngward79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #97
Metal shaper

Not why I was angry, it was just one of those days when absolutely everything you try and do, something comes up.
I just started pointing, " That axle housing is $250 in parts, that one about $400, that over there was $300....." as she looks around with her mouth open counting all the custom housings and other stuff laying around. Then I tell her to look at her left hand, think about all the $100 manicures and all $100+ dry cleaning fees. This is my jewelry, my foo-foo stuff. And besides, it all comes from Carter Fab & Machine money, not "our" money.
I just don't say something stupid like, if I sold the stuff in the hobby room, I could pay off my truck. Haha. That would be the end.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #98
Metal shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
The Blackrocks would work on this as well. Those axles are so sick, I wish RC4WD could make them more affordable.:
And make them the proper width(wraith) like mine. I think the round tubes are way better looking also. I've been emailing with Katan, so there may be hopes of something better coming our way. I just keep telling them, to make any housing work with axial parts(ax-10 or Wraith) to make them more user friendly. Basically just provide us blank housings like the aluminum wraith housings and let us put all our goodies in/on them. They would be drastically reduced in price and way more appealing for the masses. Maybe I'll give Steve Brown a call too. Just imagine a VP BlackRock 60 housing. Bling bling!! I'll post the front one as soon as it gets closer.

For me, it is the one last item that has not been fully addressed on the scalers. I can't stand looking at ax-10 housings, or a bunch of bolts running through the tubes holding on link mounts and whatever else.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #99
Rock Crawler

Lol Best response ever I will have to remember that one.
darkmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #100
Metal shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
For the tint. Go on ebay and find a company called (paperstreetplastics)
They sell small pieces of tint with adhesive. Easy to put on and looks great. I used to do that with their smoke tint on my crawlers. If you cant find them, ill send ya a link when I get back.

The tint is .99 each
Haven't found anything yet Norm. Little help. And if you're interested in building me a rear bench seat or just point me in the direction of the foam to match my front seats, shoot me a pm or post up.
Thanks

W.O.D. inspired family 4 seater buggy, "Southern Comfort" by CFM - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Southern Comfort" by CFM CarterFab Axial Wraith 687 08-13-2014 06:28 AM
"riddler" southern buggy build ROLANDROCKSHOP Axial Wraith 147 10-25-2013 01:54 PM
RECON G6 Challenge "The Superlift Southern Showdown G6" & "Outlaw Terra-X" DRIVNMF Recon G6 227 10-19-2012 10:26 AM
mg200 southern buggy build "HEADCASE" ROLANDROCKSHOP Axial Wraith 187 03-04-2012 06:35 PM