Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Dlux Wraith Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #41
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Default Re: Dlux Wraith Build

Its already hollow. In fact, its just a tube until about .200 till the end and then they put the little D shape into it. You can see thru the whole shaft.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

yeah i think if i was to upgrade to a higher power system i would swap them out, but for me on a traxxas titan 20t motor they work well enough. you already have the junfac shafts so if they're working well for you i'd keep them, i just wouldn't trust plastic drivelines with a pro4 or something similar.
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #43
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
25g full length uncut. I never weighed output. Ive best the piss out of these on old comp rigs with no problems, but never on a 13.5 on 3s so we will see.
So a Maxx shaft is less than a stock shaft?

Where does it get its strength? Diameter or thickness of the plastic? Both? Does it have metal end yokes or plastic?
Old 07-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #44
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohh EPiC FAiL View Post
yeah i think if i was to upgrade to a higher power system i would swap them out, but for me on a traxxas titan 20t motor they work well enough. you already have the junfac shafts so if they're working well for you i'd keep them, i just wouldn't trust plastic drivelines with a pro4 or something similar.
Working well so far, always open for suggestions and improvements though.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

you could try using them without the adapter just to see if the shafts themselves are strong enough to be worth the weight savings, then get the adapters if they work out well. i think it cost me like $12 for the shafts and yokes.
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
So a Maxx shaft is less than a stock shaft?

Where does it get its strength? Diameter or thickness of the plastic? Both? Does it have metal end yokes or plastic?
Thicker diameter and larger yokes, hence the need for CIs adapted. It pushes the yoke past the spur. I believe you can fit a 96t 48p spur. 60t 32 pitch clears by alot.
Attached Images

Last edited by Erin; 07-23-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Build looks Aww some! I love the weight savings

Just thought i would post up... The stock wraith seats weigh 1.9oz each... So 3.8oz total... So i guess you could say that they weigh 1/4lb. I as well thought they were 4oz each, then when i weighed them i have to say i was almost disappointed But, your seats are better anyways
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Its already hollow. In fact, its just a tube until about .200 till the end and then they put the little D shape into it. You can see thru the whole shaft.
Drill it like the barrel of a sniper rifle. Cross ways not long ways.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #49
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Thicker diameter and larger yokes, hence the need for CIs adapted. It pushes the yoke past the spur. I believe you can fit a 96t 48p spur. 60t 32 pitch clears by alot.
Thanks for the info. I will keep them in mind.

I wish everything were free so we didnt have to test and figure it out with our own money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
Build looks Aww some! I love the weight savings

Just thought i would post up... The stock wraith seats weigh 1.9oz each... So 3.8oz total... So i guess you could say that they weigh 1/4lb. I as well thought they were 4oz each, then when i weighed them i have to say i was almost disappointed But, your seats are better anyways
Thanks!

Youre right. I doubled the weight. I just checked mine again and they were 1.9 each.

As small as those seats were they still weighed .5oz with the guy in them. I dont know why, but I didnt think about drilling the guy or the seats out!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #50
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
Drill it like the barrel of a sniper rifle. Cross ways not long ways.
Gotcha.

I did think about that on both the female and male. I didnt want to take the strength out though. I think I would try those Maxx shafts if I want to lose weight and some strength at the same time.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I will take all the weight loss suggestions that I can get!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks!

Youre right. I doubled the weight. I just checked mine again and they were 1.9 each.

As small as those seats were they still weighed .5oz with the guy in them. I dont know why, but I didnt think about drilling the guy or the seats out!
That is pretty heavy for how little they are! I would drill them out if you could. Just yesterday i drilled/machined out the stock wriath seats... I got them down to 1.3oz.... So not terrible.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #52
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
That is pretty heavy for how little they are! I would drill them out if you could. Just yesterday i drilled/machined out the stock wriath seats... I got them down to 1.3oz.... So not terrible.
I will have to do it when I have time and motivation. Been too busy and trying to get this thing ready for the comp was exhausting!

The rear steer really bumped my weight up. Right now I am sitting at approx 6lb 8oz with a 1800 battery. Hopefully this is as heavy as this car will ever be.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Thats not a bad weight... My dads wraith is sitting at 8lbs 3oz But thats with a 3300mah 3s
Old 07-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Wonder if you could mod the wraith plastic tube frame to your losi shafty. That would be the sickest lightest most capable wraith yet.....
Sheepdawg23wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #55
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I think I would rather dig out my eyeballs with rusty dull butter knife than deal with worms again.

That car is gone except the axles and I am not sure why I am holding on to those? I am really enjoying some hi speed.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #56
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I had my receiver and BEC glued on to my servo and it was pretty tight clearances. I found out during the race that they were in a really bad spot. When I would roll, it compressed my Gunner mount into my servo/ESC wires on the receiver and I started to lose my connection. Luckily I was able to finish the race by pushing the ground wire into the receiver constantly.

I moved everything into the chassis but I also wanted to clean up the area where I suppose the oil pan would be. Its a pretty complicated area in the stock form having the front stinger and I think its the ESC mounting tray. So, I got rid of all of that mess and made a new stinger support that goes to a shock supporting cross brace that I made. It really cleaned the area up and it actually made the stinger and shock mounts much more rigid.

This picture has the cross brace for the shocks attached to the brace that attaches to the stinger. Pretty simple.

Another simple reciever/BEC mount

I am addicted to shoe goo. It works great but does look a bit ghetto! You can also see in here what I consider to be the best battery mount ever. Just a couple of O rings. Super easy to get on/off and super cheap.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #57
Wanna get? Gotta want.

One of the biggest reasons I bought this car is because I thought that FOFF looked fun. So, I wanted to make this somewhat of a multi use car.

I went ahead and bought some Sand paw tires. I was a bit naive about the whole thing. I thought I would just slap these tires on some spare 1" wheels I have and peel out. Wow. I was wrong.

I found that the Sand paw really does not like a narrower wheel. There was no way my spare 1" wheels were going to work. I thought even the 1.5" wheel looked a tiny bit off. I did consider using the stock wheels (1.5" wide) but didnt want to deal with the plastic hex under lots of throttle. I went ahead and treated myself to some DLUX wheels in the 1.78" width. I think that they turned out perfect or at least they look like they will work well.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #58
Wanna get? Gotta want.

The next problem that I had with the tires was that a 1.78" wide wheel is HUGE! I had to get it to clear all my steering in the front and the rear. With my DLUX wheels having such a huge offset this was not too easy. I tried a 850 hub and I was not even in the ballpark so I went off and made some gigantic extensions. They do resemble 1:1 wheel spacers so maybe I will get some scale points?

These took me forever to make. I am about an hour into EACH spacer.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #59
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Finally got everything mounted up. Now I just need to find some sand!

Old 07-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #60
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I have been asked and begged for some no slop bushings that work for the XR10 and the Wraith. There is a lot more pull for me to do it when I need them for one of my cars.

I finally got some and they work great. With VP stuff there is ZERO slop! Now I just need to work on the axle to bearing slop, its pretty bad.

Here is the vendors thread for the no slop or you can go straight to my website dluxfab.com/products

XR - Wraith NO SLOP king pin bushings

Dlux Wraith Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dlux Berg Build Erik D_lux EnRoute Berg 1696 05-22-2018 10:10 PM
DLUX super build Erik D_lux Superclass Crawlers 578 07-20-2016 09:13 AM
My First build the wraith redneckrampage Axial Wraith 5 04-18-2012 09:44 PM
Dlux mini build Erik D_lux Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 92 09-22-2011 05:28 PM