Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Shoei1 Ultra4 Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Shoei1 Ultra4 Wraith

Took a little break from the hobby but now back and pretty excited about the U4RC races at Glen Helen. So I picked up a Poison Spider Wraith on RPP on the discount page. Great deal and great service!

With a lot of help from my good buddy Jake "Del Monte" I was able to set up a great rig.

Power-MMP with Tekin13.5 on 3S

I have been having troubles with the drive shafts so Im going to try this little trick I have seen here on RCC

The rear suspension is pretty nice! Jake knows how to machine some awesome links! I did though have to hack a lot of the cage to make this work right. (Please note that Jake is not selling these)

Shoei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Shoei1 Ultra4 Wraith

Had a little fun the other day and did some tuning at a little spot by the house. The rig is working great but still need to mess with some different spring rates. Looking forward to getting some new tires which should help a lot because right now it's like driving on ice. So far the drive shaft trick is working great and is not showing any sign of failure yet.

Last edited by Shoei1; 04-22-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Also anyone have any suggestions with tuning the MMP with a Tekin 13.5 motor? The gearing is currently 80/22.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Those drive shafts should take the punishment, never ran them in that exact set-up, but I also run the U4 and they hold up well.

I am no help on the electronics tuning, don't have a MMP.

Cool rig though!
TheAxialNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

For some reason I have twisted 3 stock drive shafts. This trick though adding a aluminum tube the the inside of the male has really helped.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Hey since when do you drive rc cars? lol, Looking good Tyler!
Illeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #7
Y-Town Crawlers

That picture sequence is awesome

Somehow, we forgot to plug into Castle link on Saturday and figure out why your truck isn't as fast as it should be. Can you save your settings and post it or send it to me?
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Monte View Post
That picture sequence is awesome

Somehow, we forgot to plug into Castle link on Saturday and figure out why your truck isn't as fast as it should be. Can you save your settings and post it or send it to me?
Haha yeah I think I know why we forgot! Look forward to going to that brewery again!

When I get home tonight I will try to post it. Also remember I was telling you that changing the timing on the motor didn't even do anything. So maybe something wrong with the motor?

Last edited by Shoei1; 04-23-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I think the MMP with the Tekin 13.5 is one of the best setups I've ever used. I regretably sold the motor to a buddy of mine.

I set the motor to as close to 0* mechanical timing on the back of the case. Then in the CHEAT mode in the MMP, add 22-26* of timing to hit at about 25000 RPM (you can play with this to your liking). This gave me awesome top end and still had all the low speed resolution I wanted. Oh yeah, running on 3S. I never ran it in a variable top speed situation like an Ultra 4 race or SCT track race.

I was wondering, did you do anything like have the reverse on the esc running the truck forward? I.e. switch the channel on your radio to make it work? Double check that the led on the MMP is flashing green at forward throttle and red on reverse. I've done this before with other esc's and I could see this causing a speed issue.

Dna
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
I think the MMP with the Tekin 13.5 is one of the best setups I've ever used. I regretably sold the motor to a buddy of mine.

I set the motor to as close to 0* mechanical timing on the back of the case. Then in the CHEAT mode in the MMP, add 22-26* of timing to hit at about 25000 RPM (you can play with this to your liking). This gave me awesome top end and still had all the low speed resolution I wanted. Oh yeah, running on 3S. I never ran it in a variable top speed situation like an Ultra 4 race or SCT track race.

I was wondering, did you do anything like have the reverse on the esc running the truck forward? I.e. switch the channel on your radio to make it work? Double check that the led on the MMP is flashing green at forward throttle and red on reverse. I've done this before with other esc's and I could see this causing a speed issue.

Dna
Thanks I will check out the setting when I get home.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Thanks Dna4engr your advice worked! I believe what my problem was that the motor comes stock with 10deg of timing and when you do the cheat mode it won't work unless the motor is set at 0deg.

Also added stiffer rear springs because the rebound was a little slow. Jake "delmonte" loaned me some tires to try. Looking forward to trying them out with you tomorrow buddy!

Old 05-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Finally picked up a interior to hide the wires and will be making a rear panel to enclose the cab. Also got the rc4wd inner fenders. Hope to get it all installed this weekend.

Last edited by Shoei1; 05-02-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

you coming out to the race Saturday?
indysand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #14
RCC Addict

How well does the interior fit and can I see more pics of it installed?

Thanks
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Some updates!

I was having trouble with the front cage limiting the front travel and it was making the rig act weird. So simple solution chop some of the cage. Doing this though I lost some of the stiffeness so I added cross members. Maybe went a little over board but oh well. The interior is just held with Velcro which seems to be really solid. Hopefully the pics will show how I did this. Adding the interior really makes this rig look a heck of a lot better. I also need to work on the inner fenders and a panel for the back of the cab to really hide all the wiring.

Last edited by Shoei1; 05-13-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

After the race this weekend at Glen Helen I knew for sure that I need to make a sway bar for the rear. Every corner I have to crawl through slowly or the rig would roll. So this is what I came up with. Just need to make the links to the bar to the chassis.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Thinking out of the box. Looks good
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Looking forward to testing this out!

Old 07-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

when/where are you going to test?
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
when/where are you going to test?
Not sure yet. I have to travel to Ohio for the next road race for work this weekend so it will have to wait till next weekend. Probably just go to the local crawl spot by my house. I drove it yesterday in front of the house in the street. It worked well to a point but I dont think any sway bar will keep it from flipping on asphalt.

Shoei1 Ultra4 Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith gets an Ultra4 makeover MikeS 2.2 Scale Rigs 11 06-12-2014 08:00 PM
T-Money's Wraith: Ultra4 HILUX!! NaZ-T Axial Wraith 182 01-30-2014 04:14 AM