Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: My crude Wraith work stand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My crude Wraith work stand

I was searching around on the forum to see what was being used for a work stand, to hold a Wraith. I seen that the J Concepts was being used a lot. I liked the J Concepts stand, but wanted something with more "features". I came across some pics of a stand that someone had built (I think Land crab built it), and really liked it. So I built one similar to the one Land crab built.

I'm not a very good carpenter, so it's very crude. It does the job for which it's intended. Makes working on my Wraith much easier.

The 4 outside posts are used to support the axles between the C hub and lower shock mount.

The center post with the block of wood on top supports the skid plate. The 4 outer posts are screwed to the base of the stand. The center skid plate support just slips into a wood block (not screwed down). I did this so I can remove the center skid support easily. When sitting on all 5 supports, the center skid support is high enough that it takes the preload out of the shocks.

I also put a 6" lazy Susan under it so it rotates. The small trim around the edge of the base keeps screws and tools contained.

I know it's not the best looking thing, but it works and makes working on my rig a ton easier!!!

I will probably revamp it once I get my wraith back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Last edited by 2-shot; 07-28-2015 at 04:06 PM.
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My crude Wraith work stand

Looks nice. I know what you mean, it's hard working on a flat surface. Just might steal parts of that idea. Made this one for my short course truck. Thinking I will combine the two and add a lazy Susan to both.
Attached Images

wraithfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks, it's kind of sloppy. Not a problem, steal away! Yeah, if your short course truck will suspend the same way, you could do the post thing like I did. The 4 blocks of wood in each corner of my stand are actually drilled out to the diameter of the post. You could do 2 sets of posts (8 total). One set would be for your short course, the other for the wraith. Don't screw the post down, just make it so the post slip into the blocks tightly. So, use the wraith posts when you're working on it, when you're done, pull those out and use the short course posts in the set of short course blocks.

That would be pretty cool to combine so you can work on both.

I used solid nylon round stock for my posts. We had some scrap laying around at work. I was going to use wood dowels. I had a lot of the wood already, did have to buy the MDF.

I will be curious to see what you come up with for both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, while dropping the kids off at the pool!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Looks cool, I think I'll mix a little of both of those and make me one!
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Right where a work stand should be... in front of the tv

I hijack my kids little table all the time to work with mine.
t3yf5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Looks like PVC pipe would work for the posts...gave me some ideas...thanks
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:09 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Of course it's in front of the TV, I like watching the Olympics. And... the hobby room is packed full of crap, can't get in there to do any work!

I thought about using PVC pipe. I was going to do a saddle cut on the ends to cradle the axles.

You know, I'm a little surprised that one of the many fabbers on here hasn't made a cool stand. Maybe made out of aluminum. I'm sure one of them would fab a work stand for the right $$$.

Make sure you post pics after you guys build some work stands, so I can get some good ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, while dropping the kids off at the pool!

My crude Wraith work stand - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 1st Crawler, Warthog body and work stand... Greyguild Redcat Crawlers 6 06-10-2013 11:59 PM
out of work wraith 06firedak Axial Wraith 1 04-19-2012 05:17 PM
My Wraith body work XRMikey Axial Wraith 71 12-06-2011 06:06 PM
Crawler Work Stand ajsmachine General Crawlers 12 05-27-2011 02:47 PM
crude vacuum forming DumpsterRC Paint and Body 34 04-02-2008 09:52 AM