Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: My Wraith "Standard Issue UEP"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: My Wraith "Standard Issue UEP"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Please hit enter once or twice after the link to each pic. It is easier to read the thread if the pics go down the page rather than across.

Thanks.
Thanks for fixing my thread!!

Last edited by Crash1388; 08-09-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Crash1388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
I am in awe of some of you guys that do such detailed work on your rigs! This thing is awesome! I just got back into this hobby after 20 years. I kind of got burnt out modding my 1:1, so I figured this would be the next best thing. Great work! I'll be borrowing some ideas.
i got into R/c when i was like 9 with my Pop.. he started the obsession. i got out through my teens and got into real Rigs and girls!.. i have a monster Jeep in my driveway with a trashed front axle..no money to repair, and its big money to fix it right! If you read my earlier posts, this is my unemployment project so i made everything i could, hence all the detail work. Steal all you want, questions? just ask and post lots of pics!! Thanks for checking out my Rig!!!

Last edited by Crash1388; 08-09-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:46 AM   #43
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageCopal View Post
Yeah my rig weighs... 14 pounds i believe somewhere around there... But i have an hTc motor that is a 23t and it works AMAZING. So far nothing bad has happened (Although i probably just jinxed it). Anyways, if you check out my Thread i have what is use to look like and i just posted crawling pictures of it yesterday in its current stance... But Me and my brother used cawlking (I dont know how to spell it) for the receiver and for the ESC i ballooned it and wrapped it in electrical tape... I submerge this thing and nothing happens i love it! One reason may be because i put the ESC and stuff in the passenger seat so it sits up high and just the rest under the hood so its all up high where i dont really get wet... But its fun to go through deep water holes sometimes. Anyways, over here in the West coast me and my brother (We live in Oregon), we go a river that actually lowers to the point where you can walk across to an island where, if you look at my thread you will see the pictures of the crawling places an i have two videos that we have made... Our Vidoes are called Moonwork Productions and you'll be able to see where we crawl... It a blast! And you can also crawl where the river usually is in between where you walk to get to the island its just and awesome place i will get a picture of the whole place or a couple of pictures to show you how cool it is...
if your rig is 14lbs pounds then my scale is broken lol.. im gonna take pics of my electronics housing front and rear, i mounted stuff in the highest place i could w/o being visible...
Old 08-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #44
Pebble Pounder

I did a little playing today.. i realized that my Holmes Hobbies 27t motor is taking a dump..

this a temp trail fix.. swapped out my motor for a 45t Novak just to get some wheel time.. not a good choice! but at least im rolling no comments on the wire nuts please! got some decent pics so..

we are gonna make a sand berm type jump here

one of the off camber downhills on the track

didnt see the big hole after the drop off...so my buddy said i had to post it

Looking back i should have done a series of pics from the top, down into the creek, then around the valley floor and back up the other side leading to a huge wire bridge but my phone died...
Old 08-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #45
Pebble Pounder

Random thought.. I need to invent a pill that makes you crap money! .. Anyway my buddy sucks at taking pics!! its hard to get rolling shots of any quality while driving and taking pics. Im gonna have a nephew, who is an awesome photographer, come down to the track and take some really good shots and video.. multiple rigs and a good day of running. I have to get my motor issue straight.. Can the stock Esc take a Titan 12t?
Old 08-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash1388 View Post
Random thought.. I need to invent a pill that makes you crap money! .. Anyway my buddy sucks at taking pics!! its hard to get rolling shots of any quality while driving and taking pics. Im gonna have a nephew, who is an awesome photographer, come down to the track and take some really good shots and video.. multiple rigs and a good day of running. I have to get my motor issue straight.. Can the stock Esc take a Titan 12t?
I believe it can... My brother did that for awhile until the motor started to ruin his car by twisting drive shafts and all...
VintageCopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #47
RCC Addict

your using household twisties to connect your wires? oooF!
invest in some Deans or PowerConnectors bud'
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

no comments on the wire nuts please! got some decent pics so..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDawg View Post
your using household twisties to connect your wires? oooF!
invest in some Deans or PowerConnectors bud'
There are words between the pretty pictures

Last edited by Aaronb; 08-10-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Aaronb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronb View Post
There are words between the pretty pictures
Thanks Aaron .. like i said this was a quick trail fix.. my HH 27t crapped out and i stole the motor outta my scaler.. it was a Novak 45t.. i really wanted to play!! when i put my scaler together i put the connectors on backwards so hence the wire nuts... The Novak 45t sucked in my Wraith
Old 08-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Nice rig ... but sorry sir the AE-2 has a 19T limit.

I'm kinda curious to what gearing your running, still stock? that's alot of dead motors. I switched to brushless as my fourth or fifth brushed motor was on it's way out.

Fwiw mine weighs not quite 8 pounds with a 4000mah 3s pack. It spends a good bit of time in the air, so I keep it on a diet

Later
Speed
Speedweigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:42 AM   #51
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedweigand View Post
Nice rig ... but sorry sir the AE-2 has a 19T limit.

I'm kinda curious to what gearing your running, still stock? that's alot of dead motors. I switched to brushless as my fourth or fifth brushed motor was on it's way out.

Fwiw mine weighs not quite 8 pounds with a 4000mah 3s pack. It spends a good bit of time in the air, so I keep it on a diet

Later
Speed
Thanks Speed

Your rig so sick!! id love to get mine to the same point ... yes im still running stock gearing... i guess my final ration depends on the motor i have. im torn as to which motor esc combo i should buy.. money is very limited and i need to get my choice right the first go round... The VXL system is awesome, i like it after seeing you videos!! but you change you gearing for the terrain you run?... i want more speed than my HH 27t but i still wanna be able to crawl... suggestion welcome!!!!... i have a Castle SV2 esc and a CM36 5700KV 3.5t brushless from my 1/16 revo... keep think of dropping it in the Wraith for fun!!!

Last edited by Crash1388; 08-17-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:51 AM   #52
Pebble Pounder

i had a buddy re surface my HH 27t commentator and brushes and it seems to be working great again...for now. Maybe i'll get a HH Esc/20t motor combo, when i can no longer keep my 27t running
Old 08-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks Speed

Your rig so sick!! id love to get mine to the same point ... yes im still running stock gearing... i guess my final ration depends on the motor i have. im torn as to which motor esc combo i should buy.. money is very limited and i need to get my choice right the first go round... The VXL system is awesome, i like it after seeing you videos!! but you change you gearing for the terrain you run?... i want more speed than my HH 27t but i still wanna be able to crawl... suggestion welcome!!!!... i have a Castle SV2 esc and a CM36 5700KV 3.5t brushless from my 1/16 revo... keep think of dropping it in the Wraith for fun!!!
Thanks for the kind words on ol Blue

The stock gearing only works with stick packs... lol throw an 87 spur on there and you'll double it's lifespan. You really need to gear down and volt up as they say. You gain torque through the gearing and reduce strain but get the top end back through shear RPM. I'd run 16/87 and 3s with your 27t. The AE-2 will run 3s all day with a BEC, honestly I think the 27-35t and 4s would be a hot setup for a crawler guy.

Yep sometimes I change gearing for terrain, 16/87 is used 90% though, 12-14/87 for rocks and 18/87 for open areas. 20/87 overheats the motor with the swampers on, I can run a 20t with my Hammers though... 12/87 will give you some drag just from the motors unwillingness to spin but there are days I miss having a drag brake. It's not that it cogs either the problem is with above 14t doing heavy crawling I have to run a 65c pack since the motors pulls so much juice on lesser packs it trips the voltage cutoff in the VXL. I crawl on 3s too but use noob mode on the esc. You get twice the resolution on the trigger and still have ample power to twist off driveshafts w/o all the RAWR!!! of 3s wide open. Oh I have 43/13 diffs too so I'm geared a little lower than what my pin/spur suggests.

If you try that cm36 gear it super low, like 90/10 might have to dremel your mounting slots.

My vote for esc's would be the Holmes BRXL, water proof, a built in badass BEC, castlelink flexibility, only drawback is the lack of brushless ability.

Your SV-2 is a fine choice but with a 3500ish kv brushless and stock gearing the current draw might smoke the esc, I think it has a 100amp limit, needs a BEC too.

I talk too much
Old 08-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #54
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words on ol Blue

The stock gearing only works with stick packs... lol throw an 87 spur on there and you'll double it's lifespan. You really need to gear down and volt up as they say. You gain torque through the gearing and reduce strain but get the top end back through shear RPM. I'd run 16/87 and 3s with your 27t. The AE-2 will run 3s all day with a BEC, honestly I think the 27-35t and 4s would be a hot setup for a crawler guy.

Yep sometimes I change gearing for terrain, 16/87 is used 90% though, 12-14/87 for rocks and 18/87 for open areas. 20/87 overheats the motor with the swampers on, I can run a 20t with my Hammers though... 12/87 will give you some drag just from the motors unwillingness to spin but there are days I miss having a drag brake. It's not that it cogs either the problem is with above 14t doing heavy crawling I have to run a 65c pack since the motors pulls so much juice on lesser packs it trips the voltage cutoff in the VXL. I crawl on 3s too but use noob mode on the esc. You get twice the resolution on the trigger and still have ample power to twist off driveshafts w/o all the RAWR!!! of 3s wide open. Oh I have 43/13 diffs too so I'm geared a little lower than what my pin/spur suggests.

If you try that cm36 gear it super low, like 90/10 might have to dremel your mounting slots.

My vote for esc's would be the Holmes BRXL, water proof, a built in badass BEC, castlelink flexibility, only drawback is the lack of brushless ability.

Your SV-2 is a fine choice but with a 3500ish kv brushless and stock gearing the current draw might smoke the esc, I think it has a 100amp limit, needs a BEC too.

I talk too much
its cool i talk too much also

Okay my Holmes 27t is working for the moment and i have a 32 Pitch 54t Spur and a 14t pin from CKRC .. so 1st off should i get a new armature from Holmes or just get one of their ESC/Motor combo deals since i was planning to upgrading to a 3s. Maybe a 19t or20t for the motor? 2nd what does the 32 pitch cross over to in 48 pitch ratios, example being 16/87 vs 14/54.. and i wanna keep my drag brake so the sv2 will stay in my Revo... its the only RC that holds together when i really pound on it! 6ft air, trip backfilp off a table top meant for stadium trucks...no damage God bless RPM...any ways back to the Wraith. I dont wanna be 1st in the race but i wanna be damn close. In my diffs, stock gearing also.. im running the 2.2 iroks and i dont usually change tires.. so what do you think i should go with for them using the above Holmes combo?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
its cool i talk too much also

Quote:
Okay my Holmes 27t is working for the moment and i have a 32 Pitch 54t Spur and a 14t pin from CKRC .. so 1st off should i get a new armature from Holmes or just get one of their ESC/Motor combo deals since i was planning to upgrading to a 3s.
You need to be running 3s now so you can gear lower, save motors and go faster than you do now.
Quote:
Maybe a 19t or20t for the motor?
I killed 3 20turns, a 21Tdouble, and did horrible things to a 27t axial that still runs, but not as fast... and it sounds funny

I think a 20turn is too low, I'd stay 27 or go 35 turn and run a minimum of 3s. If I were brushed you can bet your *** I'd be running 4s only drawback is high V's wears out brushes faster but boohoo right? gotta pay to play.

Quote:
2nd what does the 32 pitch cross over to in 48 pitch ratios, example being 16/87 vs 14/54..
First don't think so hard just do some math
54/14=3.86
87/16=5.44
Higher numbers go slower... 3.86 is pretty fast for comparison my 8lb losi SCTe runs 40/13, that's 3.07:1 So your actually geared closer to my race truck than my basher, and you call yourself a crawler hehe

Quote:
and i wanna keep my drag brake so the sv2 will stay in my Revo... its the only RC that holds together when i really pound on it! 6ft air, trip backfilp off a table top meant for stadium trucks...no damage God bless RPM...any ways back to the Wraith. I dont wanna be 1st in the race but i wanna be damn close. In my diffs, stock gearing also.. im running the 2.2 iroks and i dont usually change tires.. so what do you think i should go with for them using the above Holmes combo?
The SV2 should have a drag option, do you have a castlelink?

I'd grab a 27ish turn motor and get on the waiting list for a BR-XL. When you want to go faster run more voltage. I've never seen a 27T on 6s but I bet it's pretty retarded

Other option is the RX8/MMP esc with either a 10.5turn tekin or the pro 4 3300.

Not really an apples to apples deal though, the brush route is way cheaper but sensorless brushless is the shizzel for mud and water.

You could do a Sidewinder with a Velineon for similar $ of the brushed setup but the Sidewinder isn't the most robust esc and you'd still want a BEC. The Velineon will start to cog above 18/87

Food for thought, geared 14/87 on 3s my Wraith is just about as fast as it was geared 20/80 with the stock brushed motor on 3s... difference is now it's like Grave Digger on crack and the motor never goes over 140 degrees F the esc stays cool and I can bash til parts fly or I get tired.

Gear down, volt up! google it... there's tons of threads. A 3500kv brushless motor spins 29,400 on 2s, 44,100rpms on 3s. I know the gearing seems low at 5.5:1 but you get to run 30% less gear and go just as fast.

Ok starting to ramble.
Speed out
Old 08-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #56
Pebble Pounder

Okay i picked up a 3400mah Racers-edge 3s lipo and im gonna be robbing my Scx 10 (Brutus) of his 16/87 pin /spur combo... wish me luck!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #57
Pebble Pounder

okay 14/87 is no good for what i wanna do... to slow...even with the 3s... i have a 18 pin lying a round, but will a couple or teeth really make that big of a difference... im trying to get a 16pin from a buddy's stampede
Old 08-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #58
Pebble Pounder

i put the 18/87 on and it is much better... 3s way better but i should've gone for a 4s... think im gonna go back to the 18/20 combo tomorrow and see how it works... side note the Wraith is 9.76lbs with the batteries... im good with that!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

You can run as much gear as the motor can handle, just watch your motor temps closely. If you get past 150 F it's overgeared... what you want and what you can have may not be on the same page but 4s would be the ****
Old 08-23-2012, 05:39 AM   #60
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
You can run as much gear as the motor can handle, just watch your motor temps closely. If you get past 150 F it's overgeared... what you want and what you can have may not be on the same page but 4s would be the ****
My Dad Always said "Want in one hand and S*** in the other, see which one fill up first!"

so i think im done with the combo for the spur/pin 18/87... i dont know maybe i'll try the 16t pin...so now i wanna play with the axle ratios.. any suggestion? had a good test run around the yard and bashing over my test rock pile.. motor temp was about 135 F.. thats a little higher than i wanted.. im headed over to the track today for some more testing..i think the temp will go up but hopefully not much!

My Wraith "Standard Issue UEP" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10 "the green machine" gymjunkie23 Axial SCX-10 12 10-03-2010 11:38 PM
Awesome new Tuber/AX-10-the "Mean Green" machine! birdie_in_texas Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 07-23-2008 12:28 PM
"Green machine" hustler G-crawler General Crawlers 23 07-15-2007 02:44 PM
"Green Machine" Lots of pics brudmike7 General Crawlers 1 03-07-2006 09:18 PM
project "GREEN MACHINE"mini-giant Jt Tamiya TLT Crawlers 14 01-19-2005 02:51 PM