Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Baja Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #101
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Baja Wraith

Lol.. well in that case it can help
Steelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #102
Quarry Creeper

its been a while without updating this thread but finally I got a new 3s lipo 6500mah Gforce to test on the wraith with the xerun motor and 56/13 gearing.

since I wanted to bash and make some speed runs I changed the stock tires for the hpi Mud trashers tires that are much wider and will add more stability at high speed.

this hpi tires are good for Mud but I have zero intentions to run any of my rigs on Mud, on lose surfaces this tires are not that good cuz the dont have good grip so I did a little mod on them, cut here and there with no specific pattern at all, just cutting one of the lugs and leaving the next untouch.

modded tire on the left stock tire on the right

this are the 4 tires all modded

I have to say this really add a lot of grip and at the same time still run really good on lose sand, I will decide later if I go a cut the rest of the lugs or leave it like that.

the Baja Wraith with the mudtrasher tires installed

well it was about time to test the 3s lipo along with the xerun 3400 motor and check what this combo can do on speed and torque, well I really underestimate the power this combo will produce, the 1:1 sandrails dirt hills were not a challenge the wraith, I had the great idea to run fast over a natural half circle dirt ramp thinking it would just stay there spinning the tires but no, the truck got on the top and jump making a half backflip.. yep you just read it, just a half backflip so it landed with the front bumper first with all its 8# against it, so now I need a frame brace set and a left frame rail, dang!! it was a fun jump that really got me surprised cuz I wasnt expecting the wraith to climb it and jump to finally drop 8-9ft, I have a video but I didnt recorded how high it jump just how bad it landed LOL, well still with the front part of the frame broken I managed to do some speed runs on flat lose sand.

here is the video of the 3s lipo testing
Baja Wraith 3s testing - YouTube

as you can see on the 39sec and 50 sec mark the tires improved their grip with those cuts.

this is the final carnage

it got broken on parts where I dont think it can be reparable, or do you have any idea how to repair them?

next run on sand will be on really lose sand where the front bumper will dig from a high jump instead of break.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #103
Quarry Creeper

I think that section is part of the long framerail. I bought an rtr and when I cracked something, I took it apart and was shocked at how crappy and flimsy that framerail is. I redid the truck without that framerail and I don't miss it.

There is no aftermarket metal framerail to replace this, but there should be. I know there are stiffy kits and partial replacement stuff, but I don't think they replace this framerail in question.

Don't try to repair, just replace. Even if you replace it with a new one, it will probably break again.

If it wasn't broken right where yours is, you could drill out the tube and add allthread.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #104
Quarry Creeper

@ 67mustang,
sorry for the late response my friend but I was having some hard time on my work (accountant on annual tax season), and yes you are totally right, that framerail is as strong as an spaghetti, I searched everywhere for an aftermarket option and I was actually thinking on using a honcho frame and mod'it to fit on the wraith, but no avail on anything, so for now I made a temporal fix, I put an excessive amount of shoe goo on that broken parts and put two 1.5 allen key there, one on each side, after 48hrs that fix seems to be the stronger section on the whole wraith LOL, for trail runs and mild FOFF Im sure it will work, meanwhile I will continue to search something better than another stock frame rail.
Can you tell me how did you redid your wraith without that frame rail?

@Atencio.
thanks amigo, I really love this rig and enjoy everytime with it, running it or tinkering it.

and good news, the Baja Wraith is running again, after searching a lot for a better and stronger bumper supports than the stock plastic ones, I went and get the Integy aluminium bumper supports and an actual aluminium bumper too, I know about integy but they look really good and surely stronger than plastic and didnt cost a ton.

now only the time will tell how much punishment the can hold.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #105
Quarry Creeper

thanks buddy.. much appreciated you comment

Baja Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Enter to win a FREE WRAITH, BAJA, BLITZ, & More from FastEddyBearings.com FastEddy General Crawlers 415 12-03-2011 12:15 PM
Wraith Baja Lights "RPM Roof Mount Light Bar" Propane Axial Wraith 1 10-27-2011 12:05 PM