Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Build. Starting the mods !!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Wraith Build. KoH/crawling build 1.2

So i bought a Wraith Kit in early August '12.
I started with:
Titan 550 21t
traxxas 2.4 ghz rx, and the tx that I had from my Ken Block car (which is so fun)
Tazer 15t ESC
Hitech ultra torque servo

To start out the Tazer ESC wiring seemed to be to short to mount in the recomended location so it ended up in the passenger seat.
I also had to trim the gear cover to clear the titan motors gear shaft.

This setup was a blast and I didnt have any problems after the ones already mentioned untill after my first group run, which was about 3 days after I started the kit build. So it ran without some of the scale bits and lights uninstalled. Some are still uninstalled lol.
So on to the first group run my servo horn that came with the kit stripped out. i was able to tighten it to finish the day.

Then I was on a very narrow hillside trail and slid off the trail and rolled very slow and dramaticly for about 200-300 feet down the hill to rest after going into a bush.
the result of the crash was a stripped out link end, the double sided tape holding the ESC on came off and it got a few more battle scratches.
I was able to put the link end in and it held for the rest of the trail and untill we got home.

So after some breakage I replaced the link end with an extra straight piece that i bent enough for it to fit.(its still holding in there)
shortly after getting home the ESC started to intermitently turn off and then back on. I tried repositioning it and the wiring but the problem stayed. It wasnt bad enough to make it undrivable but annoying.

After a trip up to pikes peak for the PPIHC. My stampede engine gave out and after replacing it one of the rear hub carriers broke. So since it would end up being a few weeks at least untill it gets replaced. Also because i was wanting a waterproofed ESC anyway I transferred the XL5 into my wraith.

i havent had a chance to run any rivers yet but I did get to play in the rain a couple days ago.

I also picked up a set of 2.2 wheels in a trade. and I bought a set of ProLine Chisel 2.2 tires in g8 compound.

i tried them on and went for a few runs.
I and overall pleased with them though I went back to the stock r35 ripsaws. They are very sticky and crawl very well. They held so well that I could very clearly see that I am in need of a metal steering link set.
They were great on the steep sandstone and jagged rocks near my house.
The reason I went back to the ripsaws was that the chisels were about 1/8-1/4 inch shorter after tire sag than the ripsaws. I was draging the axles and getting stuck on them far more often on rock that I was able to clear with the ripsaws.

So after I have been having fun for another week or so I became tired of the battery weighing the rear end down. I looked around and decided to build my own front mount battery tray from some aluminum i had laying around.

i also made up a hinge hood kit with some very large zip ties and a pair of clip posts left over from my stampede.

and then my last bit that was just completed. My first try and metal panels. i decided to start with the roof.

and for my next mod i'm thinking about trying my titan 550 12t and my venom 55t to see how the work. im thinking i'll try the 12t for the KOH thats coming up.

thanks for looking

Last edited by Joe$; 08-22-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Joe$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Prototype Rear wheely/scrape guard

So i've been messing around allot with the wraith and after moving the battery its harder but I still like pulling wheelys and wheely stands. and it was ruining my bolts that hold the body on.

So I fabed up a guard for it and drilled a taper in to it so the bolts sit flush. I needs some touching up before I make up the that will stay on there for good.

let me know what you think or if you have any ideas for it.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Wraith Build. Starting the mods !!!

So I'm thinking about adding some kind of body to my rig. I haven't decided yet but I would like to find something in hard plastic possibly modified.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Looking good!
msd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks

Wraith Build. Starting the mods !!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Natedog's Wraith Kit Build now with Cage Mods Natedog Axial Wraith 207 03-24-2018 05:52 PM
starting a wraith kit build yatester Axial Wraith 7 07-20-2012 05:17 PM
Starting my build DeaDShorT Tamiya Clod Buster 55 02-18-2007 07:17 PM
Need Help Starting A Build HannibalLecter Newbie General 4 04-14-2006 10:53 AM
Starting A New Build!!!!! truegaintfree General Crawlers 7 03-19-2006 10:34 AM