Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Drive goes out then goes back in?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #1

Question Drive goes out then goes back in?

Noob here with more problemos. I installed VP universals, Chubs, knuckles, and the HR link kit. Went to take it for a drive and it ran fine for a minute then stopped. I could hear the motor still moving but no forward or reverse. I grabbed the tires and manually spun them forward and backwards and then it would drive for a minute. Then cut out again. I assume the Universals are not installed correctly? Any advice is appreciated.
WraithBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Drive goes out then goes back in?

Hmm. Tighten the slipper clutch? The tires move freely when you aren't pulling the trigger? Motor runs but the tires dojn't move....hmmm...Something may be stripped out..... Maybe you broke a locker?
ScaleReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Also check the pinion gear, the set screw may have backed off a little.
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I agree with both of the above, either stripped locker or (and my bet) you didn't locktite the set screw on the pinion. I neglected the locktite on my first couple rigs, and it cost me many frustrations.
Crawlster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
Jus
I wanna be Dave

You shouldn't need to loctite the pinion. I never have and never had one loosen. If it wasn't tightened properly though it needs to be checked.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
You shouldn't need to loctite the pinion. I never have and never had one loosen. If it wasn't tightened properly though it needs to be checked.
You are in the minority if you've never had that happen. I used see it happen at the club events all the time, though not with the veterans.

Any metal to metal threaded part should have loctite on it, vibrations cause things to come loose. A loose set screw on the pinion or driveshafts is a pretty common problem.
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #7

Thanks for all the input. Truck was a RTR so I'm sure there was no locktite on the pinion. I'll have some time this afternoon to work on it some more. Will keep you posted.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #8

Decided to try to fix the wraith after six months of it sitting. The set screw had backed out of the pinion gear. Real easy fix. Thanks for everyone's help. I added a little loctite to it. Now to build a little backyard crawl space.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

damn dude you let a 400 dollar rig sit for 6 months and the fix was damn near free
reminds me to go check craigs list.
glad you got it fixed
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

ummmmmmmmmmm maybe he was busy with life not worrying about the toys!
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

yeah probly.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn'Nburn View Post
You are in the minority if you've never had that happen. I used see it happen at the club events all the time, though not with the veterans.

Any metal to metal threaded part should have loctite on it, vibrations cause things to come loose. A loose set screw on the pinion or driveshafts is a pretty common problem.
Since 2008 I've accumulated 7 Axial rigs and I have never used loctite on a pinion and have never had one loosen. Can't be a coincidence. I've just had trouble loosening even blue loctite at least with small hardware.. Those tiny little 1.5mm grub screws scare me enough without worrying about loctite..I simply use the tightest fitting allen key I can find and tighten the grub as tightly as I dare to without snapping the tool, and forget about it. Some of my rigs get driven almost daily and go on day hikes covering several miles and again, I've never had a pinion give me trouble.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #13

Yeah. LOL. I've been busy with kids, work, other toys, etc etc. Hope to get back into it now.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I hear you about loctite on some tiny grub screws. Losi 370 motor ones in particular are very small and I stripped the hex when trying to tighten the screw down so I could only imagine trying to remove it with blue loctite on it. I got it out by jamming the smallest flat blade in the hex hole and using my cordless screw driver for torque. It worked awesome and I was very relieved...well unfortunately or maybe fortunately the Losi Insane 370 I had got cooked and died dead. End of my Losi motor days..lol. That was a different project but just wanted to share a story about pinions. :P
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Drive goes out then goes back in? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AX10 MIP C Drive dig drive shafts in stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 12-03-2009 10:50 PM
***MIP C-Drive Drive shaft for the AX10...GIVEAWAY*** Rockpiledriver RCP Crawlers 153 07-01-2008 11:18 AM
How to lock back tires and only use front wheel drive jlnash Newbie General 4 02-16-2007 07:09 PM