Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Treys1's Jeep Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Treys1's Jeep Wraith

Honestly I never did try any foam cutting as I felt like it would be inconsistent.

Being as the foam is supposed to act like air, I feel that it should be a solid mass all the way around. Instead I tried many combinations of foams / tires & vented vs. non vented.
treys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Recently swapped in some MIPs and then tonight I put in the brushless setup that was in my buggy that I recently parted out:

And my Crawler Innovations Bikini top came in too!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Most recent updates are:

HR SHD Lockers, HD Gears (OD In Front) & STRC Bearing Caps

And then the mail arrived!

Went out to Stone Mountain today with a few guys and the Pro4 is pretty awesome!

New lower stance with the Slash Front Powerstrokes surprised me honestly, I thought I was going to be too low and stiff but the truck did good over all.

I took the CMS and panhard right back off. I wasn't a big fan, especially now that I'm so low, it didn't allow much travel.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #44
RCC Addict

New lower stance with the Slash Front Powerstrokes surprised me honestly, I thought I was going to be too low and stiff but the truck did good over all.

I took the CMS and panhard right back off. I wasn't a big fan, especially now that I'm so low, it didn't allow much travel.[/QUOTE]

I have the exact same setup and even with the softest proline springs im not too happy with the setup either. I was also thinking of going to an axle mounted servo because the vertical travel with the shorty shocks and cms/panhard setup is almost nothing. Might have to try that before moving to big bore shocks since i like how the truck sidehills setup low
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittohead View Post

I took the CMS and panhard right back off. I wasn't a big fan, especially now that I'm so low, it didn't allow much travel.

I have the exact same setup and even with the softest proline springs im not too happy with the setup either. I was also thinking of going to an axle mounted servo because the vertical travel with the shorty shocks and cms/panhard setup is almost nothing. Might have to try that before moving to big bore shocks since i like how the truck sidehills setup low
Yeah the short Powerstrokes with the panhard on the Wraith chassis sucks IMO. I am pretty happy with axle mounted with those shocks though.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #46
Gold Star Baby!

nice, like how you fitted the body. since i drive a jeep also it is tempting.
ottoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Pro4 testing @ Stone Mountain

Old 12-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

When I first got this Mamba Max Pro it was only pushing a 17.5 Redline so I had no worries cutting the fan off. Now that I am running the Pro4 and after checking temps a few times on our Stone Mountain run, I figured it wouldn't hurt to add a fan back.

I like the way I have EVERYTHING crammed under my hood and I was a little worried about putting the fan back in the factory location as the intake would be right up against the hood. So.... I extended the fan wires & drilled some holes in my electronics tray to mount it where it has plenty of intake airspace.

I ran it some today around the house and it ran cool enough to where the fan stopped running. I double checked to make sure the fan still worked by power cycling the ESC and all seems good to go!

Old 12-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Swapped out my crushed BGR Trailbar bumper for a BGR Stinger bumper.

I also worked on a clanking read end issue that also seems to chew up bearings.

I seemed to have a severe lateral movement in my straight axle shafts. It must have been a combination of grinding the locker side lip down to fit through beef tubes + HR locker + Vanquish Lockouts that all compounded each other into a big mess. The bearing on the axle shaft that resides in the lock out could move 1/8" back and forth.

I think I have the issue resolved by placing ~1/8" worth of small spring in the locker between the two axle shafts so that it presses on both of them. The axles are now ever so slightly pushing the bearing in the lockout against the lip, but if pushed in with some decent pressure they can give a bit.

You can see in this picture the size of spring I used, as M3x8mm screw is there for reference. I ended up using a piece about twice as long as the short piece in the pic.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Bet your happy you didn't trade that for my brute now huh. It's looking killer trey.
alaskancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskancrawler View Post
Bet your happy you didn't trade that for my brute now huh. It's looking killer trey.
I don't know, that Brute it a good looking truck! Thanks
Old 12-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Got my Pit Bulls today. I also went back a little wider on the hubs since these are so much bigger than the TSL's

Old 12-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Got out today and tested the new tires. They do pretty good. Unfortunately, shortly after firing the Wraith up (I was running my CC-01) I had what I believe is my first Pro4 inflicted damage. I sheared a pinion shaft off at the front diff when I got these big Pit Bulls bound up real good.

Here's a couple shots while it was still intact.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Sorry to hear about the pinion shaft but the Pit's look great on there. Have checked your build and others on here lately as I'm in the middle of building a wraith. The Rubi body looks great in silver along with a very cleanly done rig.
diggerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Thanks! I'm trying to keep it clean and kind of scale-ish looking where I can.

No big deal on the pinion, had a spare set of gears and got it swapped this evening.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Nice looking build. I'm hopefully getting a Wraith soon and was planning on doing a Jeep body on it. Is that Sawnee mountain I see in a lot of your pix?
JDeezie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:32 AM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeezie82 View Post
Nice looking build. I'm hopefully getting a Wraith soon and was planning on doing a Jeep body on it. Is that Sawnee mountain I see in a lot of your pix?
Indeed, Sawnee Mt. is in a bunch of my pics
Old 12-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

One of the biggest problems I have had with my Wraith has been the complete suck of the TSL SX's with even the slightest presence of moisture.

I have been waiting patiently for the Pit Bulls rather than try another tire in the mean time and I will say they were worth the wait.

They do well even in slick wet GA red clay.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:24 PM   #59
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by treys1 View Post
I have been waiting patiently for the Pit Bulls rather than try another tire in the mean time and I will say they were worth the wait.

Pit Bull 2.2 Rock Beast 2 & 6.0 Double Deuce Foam Combo
crazy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by treys1 View Post
Thanks! I'm trying to keep it clean and kind of scale-ish looking where I can.

No big deal on the pinion, had a spare set of gears and got it swapped this evening.
You've done a fine job of accomplishing that goal. Trying to do the same right now building one for my son and myself trying to keep them clean and simple.
diggerj is offline   Reply With Quote

Treys1's Jeep Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wraith jeep body Superboy Axial Wraith 7 06-12-2012 07:37 PM
Wraith Jeep Body Blondie Paint and Body 13 01-15-2012 09:44 AM
Washracers Jeep wraith washracer_11 Axial Wraith 15 01-13-2012 07:51 AM
671 Jeep Wraith JTG671 Axial Wraith 5 11-15-2011 02:17 PM