RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   SkaldidDog's "Buck-Nasty" Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/403639-skaldiddogs-buck-nasty-wraith.html)

SkaldidDog 09-28-2012 10:22 AM

Re: SkaldidDog's "Buck-Nasty" Wraith

Quote:

Originally Posted by execelon (Post 3937951)
Not that you haven't spent a boat load of cash already, but how strong are the stock differential gear sets?

In for updates and finished rig

HD gears went in last night 13/43. Stockers are poo. Looking for a new top gear for the tranny. A tooth fell off during assembly:shock:. Wish RRP made one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nabil (Post 3937965)
I'll give you $20 for everything left over when your done ;-)

Fat chance! I've been selling stuff off as guys ask.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreakyT333 (Post 3938007)
Lookin sick man, I just love drooling over builds with budgets like this. Motivates me to wish harder กก

Glad you like. More updates coming soon.

SkaldidDog 09-30-2012 08:48 PM

14 Attachment(s)
Got some work done. HD gears in. No tranny yet. Waiting on parts. Mocked up the trans/motor for entertainent. Knocked out a 22g rear elevated shock tower from delrin and 7075. Needed more room for the XXL big bore shocks. More rear articulation now with stock ride height. Soft mini T long springs and 17.5wt right now, still a little stiff. The mount connects the old shock mounts and the floor rails for no flex. Made my electronics platform (29g). Reciever box is from 1" thick delrin (photo of the mill mess) with lexan lid. I'll grove the box so the wires can enter when I decide the final wiring. Receiver box rides carbon fiber standoffs from the ESC plate. BEC will go on a mount above the ESC that I've yet to make. Goal was to have all electronics under the hood completely clear of the suspension, wheelwells and drivetrain. Waiting on batteries (3s) which will go just north of the fire wall. Custom battery mounts soon to come. Low and forward is the key. I'll make alternative battery mount system for rear mounted parallel 1860 3s packs in case I want to drive it fast with more balanced weight distribution. Current goal is bitching crawling ability. Going with 11/56 gearing to start with. Still a lot of shock and foam tuning to go.

Enjoy.
Joel

Frankenwheely 09-30-2012 09:28 PM

I had this in my hands yesterday. I wanted to make love to it and hope it made babies...so I could have one.:shock:

That rear shock mount is siiiiiiiiiiiiick. He wouldn't even take a kidney for it.:flipoff:

doc.hamilton 10-01-2012 08:37 AM

WOW!!! You have some completely mad fabrication skills... The photo of the receiver box and esc plate mounted is really an eye opener as to what can be accomplished. Now, how much to make a set for me? It's just what the Dr ordered!!!

Thanks for the inspiration. Seems the more builds I see, whether it's a wraith, SCX10, D90, et al, unleashes so many possibilities.

Thanks "thumbsup"

Cheers,
Todd

doc.hamilton 10-01-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenwheely (Post 3941659)
I had this in my hands yesterday. I wanted to make love to it and hope it made babies...so I could have one.:shock:

That rear shock mount is siiiiiiiiiiiiick. He wouldn't even take a kidney for it.:flipoff:

Perhaps you should have offered a part of your liver!!! Maybe that would entice him... just a thought.

yukon635 10-01-2012 10:30 AM

WOW Joel, this thing looks Killer and its not even partially complete!!!!! Can't wait to see it when it finished, but then again, when is a any truck every truly done.

as everyone has said, nice machine work on those custom parts. Next time just hit x2 on the machine and send the extra to me. I'll send you a prepaid box to just drop them in :mrgreen:

SkaldidDog 10-01-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc.hamilton (Post 3942067)
WOW!!! You have some completely mad fabrication skills... The photo of the receiver box and esc plate mounted is really an eye opener as to what can be accomplished. Now, how much to make a set for me? It's just what the Dr ordered!!!

Sorry Doc. I don't make it a practice of doing contract work. Thanks for the props.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc.hamilton (Post 3942211)
Perhaps you should have offered a part of your liver!!! Maybe that would entice him... just a thought.

I don't want his liver cause it's like mine...used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yukon635 (Post 3942249)
Next time just hit x2 on the machine and send the extra to me. I'll send you a prepaid box to just drop them in :mrgreen:

Thanks yukon. No machine to hit 2 on though...100% hand etch a sketch milling. Ol' school one-off goodies.

Cheers,

J

Del Monte 10-01-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkaldidDog (Post 3942789)
I don't want his liver cause it's like mine...used.

I would prefer to think of it as training :mrgreen:

Farmer 10-01-2012 06:29 PM

Good lord Joel, your a mad man:shock: Everything you touch becomes a work of art. Just when I thought my rig was cool:oops: Keep up the insane work"thumbsup"
Later,
Farmer

doc.hamilton 10-01-2012 07:13 PM

You shouldn't think of the liver as used. It's "experienced"...

Well, since you don't do contract work, :sad: I guess it's just another subset skill for me to work on. Kinda goes along with the territory of how deep the rabbit hole goes. I got involved with RC's initially to do SC racing. Discovered trail driving quite by accident which lead to scale building and crawling. Though my wife doesn't think this is such a great idea, it's becoming more involved each step I take.

Thanks for keeping us up to date with your excellent build!

Cheers,
Todd

Frankenwheely 10-02-2012 02:09 AM

Hell I should just pull rank on him. But he would just machine his own medals and over rank me.:lmao:

Frankenwheely 10-09-2012 09:04 PM

Page 5!!!! WTF happened!?

Hi-Intentionz 10-09-2012 09:53 PM

Hey where did u buy those shocks can u pm the links ?

SkaldidDog 10-09-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Intentionz (Post 3956799)
Hey where did u buy those shocks can u pm the links ?

Traxxas big bores, any LHS or online hobby place.

SkaldidDog 10-09-2012 10:24 PM

Updates: SkaldidDog's "Buck-Nasty" Wraith

9 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenwheely (Post 3956721)
Page 5!!!! WTF happened!?

Wraith thread is the busiest on RCC man! Since you asked...it's basically done. Got the MMP sorted out (bad sensor wire sent me and the CC tech folks on a wild goose chase) and it drives like a dream. Installed CI trans outputs and a Super Shafty top shaft with Robinson goodies all the way around. Shaft pins are all hardened steel (not SS) of max diameter possible. Made a chassis cross bar (7075 ends with carbon fiber arrow body) for the battery to rest on when they arrive from Max Amps. Used the section of arrow with the cool vendor markings. Went with 5420 3S packs. Not trying for scale here, just lots of high power fun time. To fit the battery had to remove some of the fore interior. Made some new fire walls so that it looks good from the inside and then made a real fire wall to protect the gears and motor from all of the debris the front end will be launching their way. Hacked the body cause I like the roll cage. Will modify the cage when I get time. Made a cross brace to mount the BEC on. This really stiffened up the front shock upper mounts. Combined with the battery cross bar and the front chassis is significantly more rigid than stock. See you again soon on page 6.

J

SkaldidDog 10-09-2012 10:28 PM

Updates:SkaldidDog's "Buck-Nasty" Wraith

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot one pic

JeremyH 10-10-2012 06:37 AM

Looks good! You must have a lot of cans of tennis ball yellow paint...:lol:

SkaldidDog 10-10-2012 08:49 AM

I have so much I use it as deoderant and toothpaste.

J

doc.hamilton 10-10-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkaldidDog (Post 3957251)
I have so much I use it as deoderant and toothpaste.

J

Nice.

Now where could I find a block'o delrin like you used to create the box for your receiver? This rig's setup is so sweet!

Thanks,
Todd

SkaldidDog 10-10-2012 12:56 PM

McMaster-Carr.