RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   SkaldidDog's "Buck-Nasty" Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/403639-skaldiddogs-buck-nasty-wraith.html)

SkaldidDog 05-20-2015 08:03 AM

Re: SkaldidDog's "Buck-Nasty" Wraith

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84yoda (Post 5228295)
Awesome thread and awesome rig.. you got some talent, I got some good idea's and learned a lot from this thread, thanks.

Didn't see anything about what your runnin on the pinions? Bearings or bushings? Stock 5x11x4? The power you have, you have to be destroying them. Or do you just swap out new bearings/bushings daily?

On the rear lockouts, are you just runnin 4 bolts with no jb weld lookin stuff (cant remember what you called it)?

Also, any updates on this beast?

Hey Yoda,

Glad you enjoyed your read. No updates as it's pretty darn bullet proof to say the least. I believe I'm 16/56 (RRP/Traxxas Revo spec). No bushings anywhere except in the HD universals. All avid bearings and since I don't get the rig wet bearings actually hold up very well depending on drive time. I rebuild the tranny once per year just because. Diffs maybe twice per year. Bearing wear is really not an issue. The rig is not that heavy compared to steel cage rigs so that helps. Rear lockouts have 4 screws each and goop holding them on. Only the chubs are Hysol'd in place.

Hope this helps.

Happy Trails.

J

84yoda 05-20-2015 12:24 PM

Wow i need to pick up some avid bearings then, fast eddys with hd gears just eats bearings front and rear.

I thought you were goin to make a lock out slipper but guess you never made one? Your runnin the revo slipper over stock traxxas one? How you liking it?

tc1 05-20-2015 12:34 PM

See post #429"thumbsup"

84yoda 05-20-2015 12:37 PM

Thank you tc1

SkaldidDog 05-20-2015 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84yoda (Post 5228747)
Wow i need to pick up some avid bearings then, fast eddys with hd gears just eats bearings front and rear.

I thought you were goin to make a lock out slipper but guess you never made one? Your runnin the revo slipper over stock traxxas one? How you liking it?

Yoda I wouldn't hold your breath for significantly improved bearing life just by switching vendors. They can't be that different.

J

84yoda 05-20-2015 07:38 PM

Thats what i thought but yours seem to hold up very good with the abuse you put them through. Mine are toast within few 5200 3s packs and are about to destroy hd gears..

SkaldidDog 05-21-2015 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84yoda (Post 5228956)
Thats what i thought but yours seem to hold up very good with the abuse you put them through. Mine are toast within few 5200 3s packs and are about to destroy hd gears..

Bearings seated in plastic (tranny, chubs, especially diffs etc) will fail before counterparts mounted in aluminum. Aluminum reduces shaft play so that the bearings only have to cope with rotational, not lateral or angled, loads. Which bearings fail the quickest and are they mounted in plastic?

J

84yoda 05-21-2015 05:11 PM

Both bearings on the pinion, but i think its the inner one that takes all the force and yes there in plastic housings. Im goin to get aluminum housings but just waiting on new ssd or updated curries or may just end up with the vp v2 ar60 housings. The vp v2 and ssd both use bigger pinion shaft bearings inside, vp v2 has 5x14x5 bearings and ssd says bigger pinion shaft bearings but doesnt say size yet.

altd896 05-21-2015 08:29 PM

SSD says 5x13 in theirs

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/gener...ml#post5220667

SkaldidDog 05-22-2015 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84yoda (Post 5229502)
Both bearings on the pinion, but i think its the inner one that takes all the force and yes there in plastic housings. Im goin to get aluminum housings but just waiting on new ssd or updated curries or may just end up with the vp v2 ar60 housings. The vp v2 and ssd both use bigger pinion shaft bearings inside, vp v2 has 5x14x5 bearings and ssd says bigger pinion shaft bearings but doesnt say size yet.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Plastic is for Barbies."thumbsup"

J

microcrawlers 10-16-2015 02:31 PM

this rig is pure art
one of the coolest ive ever seem honestly nice work.
this thing is stunning i dont know what to say..

crawllife14 10-18-2015 09:13 AM

Looks awesomely beautiful! Is awesomely a word even? Lol but that looks sweet! Im in the process of making a cage out of 1/8 rod for my wraith to resemble my 1:1. It hopefully won't be too heavy but i might have to modify it a little because i want to fit a cms on it(even though im just staring at amazon now looking at cms kits seeing if i should buy one. Ill make a build thread on here once i actually start on my cage lol. Love the truck!

SkaldidDog 10-26-2015 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microcrawlers (Post 5314671)
this rig is pure art
one of the coolest ive ever seem honestly nice work.
this thing is stunning i dont know what to say..

Thanks Micro. I need to dust her off one day here after it rains. Soft trails are a blast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawllife14 (Post 5315521)
Looks awesomely beautiful! Is awesomely a word even? Lol but that looks sweet! Im in the process of making a cage out of 1/8 rod for my wraith to resemble my 1:1. It hopefully won't be too heavy but i might have to modify it a little because i want to fit a cms on it(even though im just staring at amazon now looking at cms kits seeing if i should buy one. Ill make a build thread on here once i actually start on my cage lol. Love the truck!

Thanks Crawl. CMS is pretty cool. If you want raw performance then BTA style like the U4 gents is the way to go.

Good luck.

J

SCREAMER 10-26-2015 09:45 AM

Does anyone make a BTA mount for AR60s or is everyone custom fabbing their own?

SDheavymetal 10-26-2015 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCREAMER (Post 5320001)
Does anyone make a BTA mount for AR60s or is everyone custom fabbing their own?

Sorry Joel-

Dlux Fab

SkaldidDog 11-09-2015 08:09 AM

"thumbsup"
Quote:

Originally Posted by SDheavymetal (Post 5320387)
Sorry Joel-

Dlux Fab

Stray 11-07-2018 03:18 PM

wheres this awesome wraith at these days? any new developments?

tapped-out 11-07-2018 06:33 PM

If you find this lost Dog his crawling buddies miss him.

Del Monte 11-08-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stray (Post 5882889)
wheres this awesome wraith at these days? any new developments?

Probably hanging on the wall in Joel's garage. It's definitely one of the coolest wraith builds around though.