Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: SkaldidDog's "Buck-Nasty" Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #81
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Default Re: SkaldidDog's "Buck-Nasty" Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc.hamilton View Post
Cookie monsters are insane!!! And whatever you do, keep'em away from the fridge... and cupboard

Nice to see it's holdin up well!

Cheers,
Doc

Thanks Doc. She's holding up remarkably well. I replaced the bearings throughout the rear end over xmas and none were in bad shape. They had 20+ hours of heavy use on them. Still haven't cracked the tranny since day one. It sounds fine but I'm sure one of the top bearings must have some signs of wear by now.

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #82
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Default Update: SkaldidDog's "Buck-Nasty" Wraith

I have driving the pure-T-snot out of this rig for 6 months now and I just can't break it. Unbelievable. Makes my old arse 4x2 Slash seem fragile. The motor and trans are still on original bearings. I just installed my first replacement set of brass universal bushings (SDS). Awesome fit and finish on the replacements. The only parts that needed to be upgraded were the steering tabs. They are in a vulnerable location and are subject to lots of torque and impacts. I'm not surprised they eventually failed given my driving style and the terrain I play on. That said, the stockers were darn good and worth the money but I just can't leave stock alone. New ones are 7075 and 0.190" thick. Way overkill yes.

RCC only lets me upload one pic at a time before replacing previous pics with the current one. I'm tired of fighting it. Please pardon the mulit-posts.

J
Attached Images

Last edited by SkaldidDog; 06-06-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Forgot specs.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #83
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Pic #2.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #84
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Pic #3.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #85
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Pic #4.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #86
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Pic #5.

Thanks for your patience. I ran out.

After a massive amount of abuse the VP axles and SLW wheels are still kicking butt. I can't believe how mean you can be to them with no problems. Looking forward to tearing it up in AZ this weekend.

J
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #87
RCC Addict

Damn, I missed the boat on the wraith hd 300's. Good luck this weekend and your parts are killer as usual
Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Damn, I missed the boat on the wraith hd 300's. Good luck this weekend and your parts are killer as usual
Later,
Farmer
Your from Michigan, you can't have 300's.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #89
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post

They'd have to import them.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaldidDog View Post
And directions.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #91
RCC Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And directions.
You silly fools, I already have the almighty Berg version. Plus, I'm me so I don't fall in the "not allowed" category
Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Pic #2.
I guess those will do...very nice.

EDIT: Driving like you do with ti steering linkage kills servos quickly. How many servos have you killed and which one have you settled on?

Last edited by Natedog; 06-24-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #93
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Cookie Monster!!!!!

Quote:
I have driving the pure-T-snot out of this rig for 6 months now and I just can't break it. Unbelievable. Makes my old arse 4x2 Slash seem fragile. The motor and trans are still on original bearings. I just installed my first replacement set of brass universal bushings (SDS). Awesome fit and finish on the replacements. The only parts that needed to be upgraded were the steering tabs. They are in a vulnerable location and are subject to lots of torque and impacts. I'm not surprised they eventually failed given my driving style and the terrain I play on. That said, the stockers were darn good and worth the money but I just can't leave stock alone. New ones are 7075 and 0.190" thick. Way overkill yes.

RCC only lets me upload one pic at a time before replacing previous pics with the current one. I'm tired of fighting it. Please pardon the mulit-posts.

J
Quote:
Thanks Crit Rat.

I went out to my garage the other day and dangit if a couple of cookie monsters hadn't fired up my wraith and were playing RTI games. I left them alone for a bit as they were having a ton of fun but when they wanted to start jumping the rig off my toolbox to the floor I had to step in.

I'm loving my S300HD universals!!! Man are they smooth and tough as hell. Got some steel bushings to try out when the brass stockers are put out to pasture. Thanks John.
Why didnt you use the steel ones?
rc crawler boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #94
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
EDIT: Driving like you do with ti steering linkage kills servos quickly. How many servos have you killed and which one have you settled on?
Hey Natedog. This rig is [still] on it's original Hitec 7950TH and this unit had been rebuilt with new gears one time by Hitec before I installed it in the Wraith. It's first life was in my 2.2P comp crawler. With all it's been through I'm surprised it's still kicking with minimal internal slop. Without a doubt I've settled on the 7950TH for my Wraith and my 2.2P comp rig. Phenomenal servos that take an insane amount of wear and tear. Love 'em. Plenty of power at 7.4V running directly from a BEC off of the battery (not through the receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc crawler boy View Post
Why didnt you use the steel ones?
Hey RCCB,

The steel ones didn't fit the E clips as well.

Cheers,

J
Old 08-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hey Natedog. This rig is [still] on it's original Hitec 7950TH and this unit had been rebuilt with new gears one time by Hitec before I installed it in the Wraith. It's first life was in my 2.2P comp crawler. With all it's been through I'm surprised it's still kicking with minimal internal slop. Without a doubt I've settled on the 7950TH for my Wraith and my 2.2P comp rig. Phenomenal servos that take an insane amount of wear and tear. Love 'em. Plenty of power at 7.4V running directly from a BEC off of the battery (not through the receiver.

Cheers,

J
Thanks, I"m running Hitec HS7955TG in mine and I'm really hard on it, big falls and all where I crawl. Running the stock plastic steering links which I dislike, but so many guys I know have broken servo gears and then when the gears are replaced the servo burns up shortly after if it survived the initial hit. I'm looking for an utlimate servo to run VP ti steering links with no worries of broken gears and/or burnt up servo.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #96
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Thanks, I"m running Hitec HS7955TG in mine and I'm really hard on it, big falls and all where I crawl. Running the stock plastic steering links which I dislike, but so many guys I know have broken servo gears and then when the gears are replaced the servo burns up shortly after if it survived the initial hit. I'm looking for an utlimate servo to run VP ti steering links with no worries of broken gears and/or burnt up servo.
Many can vouch for this but I drive my wraith like I drive my old 2x4 Slash if that helps you understand what a 7950 will take. On top of that from my build you'll see that she ain't light either (big battery too). I ran a 7955 in my Revo for a long time with no issues. No servo is immortal. This one is darn close. If one does fail. Stop immediately, unplug the battery and send the unit to Hitec for rebuild.

J
Old 08-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

The only thing I've ever broken on the 7950 was the middle case. The plastic bearing race broke off...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #98
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
The only thing I've ever broken on the 7950 was the middle case. The plastic bearing race broke off...
Impressive. In my comp rig I've broken or damaged every part of one excluding only the wires.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #99
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Default Panharder mount

At Nats in Prescott last weekend I noticed my rig doing strange things with regard to steering. I noticed the panhard mount was loose so I tightened it up. Last night I again noticed it loose and this time looked closer. D'oh! Looks like I've been a little abusive. Such is evolution. So I spent an hour and made a new one from two layers of 7075 plate (0.125" total). I added beef along the transverse mount to further prevent a similar failure. Gotta give props to the VP mount. It was tough but I'm a 1%er when it comes to breaking stuff.

Enjoy.

J
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #100
Rock Stacker

Looks good. I wish I had a hobby sized mill to work with. It takes forever to cut everything out by hand.
MotoSoul is offline   Reply With Quote

SkaldidDog's "Buck-Nasty" Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skaldiddog's "Progress" SkaldidDog EnRoute Berg 1181 12-11-2018 09:05 AM
The "Nasty" Pajero!!!! TattooKenny Tamiya XC/CC01 40 11-30-2009 12:00 PM
Wheres the "bang for the buck" tapping sets TLTCrawlin Tools, and Procedures 13 01-04-2007 12:26 PM