Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Super Wraith Super Low Gearing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Super Wraith Super Low Gearing

Link
BIG T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Last 2 vids on the second page shows nest what's going . There 6s runs on paddle tires.
couple vids from today, one 6s lipo and the second on 2s crawling
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Since i posted last i have broken 1 axle pin a servo arm and stripped the spur. Stupidly i drilled out the rear axles for maxx pins since i have a bunch. They fit in the adapters better with a little grinding. I may end up breaking an axleshaft but thats ok. I replaced my 66t spur with a spare 60. I can definately feel it and i will be going back to a 66. I also blew a rear wheel bearing...siezed the shaft completely. Thats when i tore up the spur. I dont have anymore desire for wheelspeed and my brushed setup is ticking along iust fine otherwise i would get a brushless setup.

I also tore up a servo arm after a hard roll. The hard roll made me really consider getting those axial beadlock 40 series wheels and narrowing them. I read a nice thread about narrowing them and i think i could do it. I dont really care about trying to climb steep stuff...but it would only help to drop 2lbs worth of wheels. But i love my wheels so i am on the fence. My emaxx needs tires so i may swap them over. I need to give it a try and if my maxx can handle the aluminums and trenchers without breaking the bead...i will buy and narrow some axial wheels and run my rok lox on my wraith. That would be badass. I would trim my foams more....but i dont want to lose clearance. 7" tall tires at a 16" wb is cutting it close due to the wraiths breakover angle/skidplate size.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #44
Pebble Pounder

mustang

what are your link lengths
what size are your wheels
BIG T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Lower front links are about 5.5" long. The rear links are a little shorter. The lengths of your upper links are gonna depend on what you want your pinionangle/castor/rideheight to be. It would take some trial and error to get it right...it would probably turn out lookig just like mine. Theres only so much you can do since you have to use original attachment points. The servo is up against the esc case so i cant move the front axle back (reduce wheelbase) so i will stay at 16.1". But the wraith would perform well anywhere between 14.5-16.5 with a 7"-9" tire which is a typical size on the market.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

The clocking of c hubs is deceptive. It makes you think its adjustable when there is no way you can adjust it eitherway that can be run in any situation. If the splines were finer in terms of degrees...the wraith axles could be used in wider variety of ways. edit: reason is because you will never get pinion angle and castor to agree with each other.

Last edited by 67mustang; 03-20-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

you into the flying hobby??
Old 03-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

So i took it to the park again and rolled it down a mossy waterfall and turtled it. Usually i ride the edge of the rock water tub waterfall thing...tires spinning water slinging....but this time something happened and i ended up on my lid in about 12" of water. I let out an audible gasp. It happened quickly. So i pulled it out of the water and after about 2 minutes it started working again. The reciever was the only thing that died. I replaced it and tested it out last night and everything is good.

While the electronics dried out....i pulled my wheels off and tossed them onto my emaxx. After a few laps on 4s i realized my servo was easily up to the task but i need to regear. Motor got hotter than my liking and truck was too fast so i will regear and may keep the combo. I will decide on narrowing some axial wheels very soon.

Btw...last time when i bought batteries from hobbypartz i purchased a d772 solar servo. Great specs cheap price so i bought it. I highly recommend the servo...its in my maxx.it has a cheap sound to it but its very torqey smooth responsive and centers very well. No. I do not do rc flying.

Last edited by 67mustang; 03-21-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Took it to a new place. Took the video camera along for the first time and had alot of fun. I need to learn a little bit more about filming at angles and showing depth. It was a dry creek bed large boulders loose rock. Changed the pack after 1/2 mile and promptly spun the front locker on the next climb which caused it to roll over backward. Snapped the upper X chassis and upon closer inspection discovered a snapped frame rail. Then, when I got home I snapped the fender side taking it off. I was really surprised that these chassis parts would snap like that.

Getting a parts list together right now and I am contemplating the next round of upgrades. One thing that I am sure about.....This wraith is going on a serious diet. I will be playing with the chassis and hopefully it won't turn out ugly. This also gives me the opportunity to reintegrate my led lights. Like I said, hopefully it won't turn out ugly.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

im suprised you broke your chassis to. my wriath is just over 9 lbs and latly its seen alot of cartwheel football type bounceing action and i havent broke anything. however i was chaseing my horse and it turned and kicked the wraith and broke the right side lower frame rail under the shock mount but still holdes together fine since my bumper ties it alltogether.

would love to see some vid of this beast in action
Old 03-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Ok. So I fixed the diffs. I was going to go with the one piece lockers but found diffs and lockers cheap and instock at my LHS along with bearings for front. Very pleased with the availability, quality, price, and design from axial...even though I have changed it up...the base is great and i would buy another wraith.

Since I cracked the chassis, I decided to change it up and lose alot of plastic. Surprisingly, I came up with a great design that isn't ugly or weak. It is very strong "torsionally" and even better than before. I added 6-32 allthread across and through lightweight aluminum on all horizontal braces. Added some strength and lost alot of weight. I always thought highly of the chassis material, but the truth is it simply won't last forever. It may last 10 years, but I think it becomes fatigued and weak over time. I bought mine as a RTR and as I disassembled it I was disappointed with the long main framerail. This is one piece of flimsy plastic I will not miss. I was surprised at the weight of the seats.

I ended up mounting the sides directly to the skidplate and tied in alot of aluminum and allthread for strength. Very smooth transition from the side of the truck to the skidplate. There is no more gap. Overall, it lost a bunch of weight, got skinnier, dropped the COG, stayed the same in overall height, increased wheel travel, and most importantly a huge gain in breakover angle. I can almost clear a 5.5 ripsaw under the belly. GC there is about 5". Before the change, it was closer to 3". I talked alot of noise about the limitations of the skidplate but I think that the link placement is excellent. I have seen crawlers where the front and rear link setups have no space apart and the truck is all link and gets too twisted up to provide strong forward traction. Essentially the tires control the truck instead of the truck controlling the tires. Link placement isn't adjustable, but it is very adaptable.

I will be mounting one seat (its a one seat buggy now) onto the trans tailshaft and it looks cool and right. I put it through 3 packs with the esc/receiver/bec taped together and zip tied to the trans and the 5400 3s battery zip tied to the cowl. It climbed better than before and had better punch due to the weight loss. The increased ride height in the rear was actually nice because it would act as a fulcrum and not unload causing a "roll over backwards" situation during climbs. Low is good, though I cut alot of weight up top with the battery on the cowl temporary, it wanted to flop.

Then I had the bright idea (really a common practice) of mounting the battery on top of the servo. I have a nice strong servo guard from CI and easily mounted with zipties a 2S 5000mah battery (about 1/2 the weight of the 3s) and gave it a go. I didn't want to strap that heavy 3s and really overwork my $ervo. I was anticipating a real lack in wheelspeed but I was straight up shocked at the improvement in climbing ability. I feel like i gained resolution in the finger on 2s yet the titan 550 didn't get hot at all after 30 min. This is at 6/60 spur. I have a 66 just want the 60 to fail first. I also realized I liked a little less drag brake than maximum. It is more realistic.

I was climbing boulders like nobodys business. Mounting the battery to the front axle has made quite possibly the biggest improvement in performance on any surface while climbing. Maybe even bigger than the ideas of gearing down, cutting foams, OD/UD, going lipo, angling shocks, lowering COG, weighting wheels, losing weight. Zero front axle hop....all climbing. I'm very impressed and my battery on this rig will forever be mounted to the front axle. (I know this isn't an option on stock wraiths, there is no room, but for custom crawlers with room on the axle, its a no brainer)

Its improved ability makes me think about going back to 2s. I am doing a little bit more testing and will be changing many things. I will be mounting one seat (its a one seat buggy now) onto the trans tailshaft. The ESC/BEC/REC will go back into my grey box but will mount under the hood as far forward as I can. It will add strength and will be a great place. Essentially I will force as much forward weight bias as possible while striving for light weight and moderate aluminum bling. I will be trying out narrowed axial beadlocks which may drop overall weight by as much as 3 lbs. I will weigh the truck when i get it setup proper and done.

The pix below are really R&D surgery pics (notice the mess) and the fit and finish will be good when i finally decide on final placement.

Like i said before, I'm just glad it didn't turn out ugly. I did take alot of time on this as you can see by the mess. Any questions? I will have more detailed pix in the near future when i finish it but right now its more capable than ever and I am pleased.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

So I have been running trails pretty regularly lately since its getting cooler. There are so many of them at the foothills of albuquerque. Today i ran the waterfall trail at the end of menaul. It was pretty awesome. I only had to lift it a few times. I feel bad for those folks that have to find their action in the ditch. I have changed a few things. I had a bad experience with hobbyking so i ended up buying a roc 1200kv. I am using 1300mah 3s lipos on 6/66 gearing. I tuck the battery between the body and the transmission. I have changed some of the settings on the mmp to find the sweet spots for wheel speed. Honestly, with this motor, 11:1 gearing is not required but the setup does give me perfect wheelspeed. It is very scale looking when the tires are slowly churning and that's something you won't get from a higher kv motor and high gearing. Top speed is a fast walk and it keeps me from breaking things. They have a 1000mah 4s pack that i considered buying but i think i can get a little wheelspeed from a bigger pinion gear. Today i ran my d772 servo at 8 volts and was pleased with the performance and it didn't get really hot at all. Iam running the bec through the flysky receiver without issue. I have also changed my steering to include a tie rod since everyone seems to give me shit for the way it was setup before. I don't much care for the dinky 3mm ends, but it has been holding up. I am really on the fence when it comes to my wheels. There are situations where they help and situations where they hurt. Rollovers are uncommon and i want to keep it that way. If i go to lighter wheels, it may roll more...so i am hesitant.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

would be nice to see a vid of this monster..
Steelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelfish View Post
would be nice to see a vid of this monster..
Dito!
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

I actually took new video today. I went back out to the waterfall trail and ran it again. Went through 3 packs and returned without breakage. I just viewed all my video and it looks like there is some good footage that i can setup. I am trying to do the youtube thing. I am new to it but apparently they have an editor and all that. Can someone explain how to post a youtube video to this thread? Maybe some good tips or a link to a rccrawler thread that explains this.

EDIT: If someone can recommend a free video editing software that would be great. I have plenty of webspace so I would likely prefer to use it. However, I don't know how to post it within the thread?

EDIT2: I am using windows video live and i am cutting it up but i am not sure what im gonna do after that.

Last edited by 67mustang; 10-02-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #56
Quarry Creeper

after you finished to edit your video go to youtube, open an account and upload it, since you as many of us dont have a star (on the forum) you cannot post it embedded just post the link of the video once uploaded.

like this Mario.

super wraith rc crawler - YouTube

Speak spanish Mario?

Last edited by Steelfish; 10-02-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Awesome thanks. I messed up the thread for a bit and had to go back and delete some posts but it seems now its back to normal. Thanks for helping me out. I should have just linked it. Thanks. My spanish is pretty weak nowadays.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #58

wow... its not even a wraith anymore haha. This is pretty much a 1 off custom comp crawler in my book.
drunkyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

yep, my exact thoughts, dont look like a wraith anymore (nothing bad with that) but like one of those all terrain lunar vehicles
Old 11-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

So I have made some more changes. Bought HPI Blast wheels in chrome. I then narrowed them to about 1 1/4" total width. I slapped my RC4wd Rok Lok Irok Tires and was very pleased with how the bead sits and the tire fits. I like it more than a beadlock. Trimmed foams and was done.

Overall I lost about 1.75lbs. I haven't weighed this yet but I think its around 7.5-8lbs by the bathroom scale. I also haven't looked to drop anymore weight...yet. I also cut some temp links to get it dialed in before i go 10-24 stainless. I lengthened wheelbase to about 16.8" from like 16.1" with the trenchers. I tried 17.5 and 17.25 but I think I prefer 16.8-17.0. I also flipped my lower link mounts back around and tossed some super hard black traxxas springs on the front.

Installed underdrive rear gears. JB Welded my carrier/locker and was surprised how good a shape it was in. Underdrive gears really fit nice and shimming was unnecessary. I want those locked up FI spools (great price) but not until I break something. I have had to drill out 4 diff screws. They are simply too small. I will need housings by the end of the year.

Also changed my steering setup. Very pleased with this one (MY TIE ROD IS STRAIGHT!).

Solar 772 work best at 8.1v. I tried every increment 7.4-9.0. After a good trailrun today, I am switching back to my hitec 7950 and im going to see how good it really is. The big tires really protect the servo and my latest steering setup is pretty nice so I think this rig deserves the hitec now. Solar does have some good slop but shes holding strong.

Super Wraith Super Low Gearing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low Buck Super joesbruiser Superclass Crawlers 23 02-23-2010 12:53 PM
Project: Low Budget Super jetboat Tamiya Clod Buster 27 04-25-2009 09:23 AM
super low cg one2crawl Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 1 10-11-2008 10:59 PM
SUPER LOW GEAR MOD (dual cases) cincinnati General Crawlers 9 12-23-2005 02:30 PM