Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: STRC fittment issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default STRC fittment issue

Hey all!
Recently picked up some AR60's for a Wroncho build. All has worked out great and is running well. But my issue is this. I picked up the Axles as take offs from a kit. I decided right away to upgrade some things like the C's, knuckles and steering. What I picked up for axle C's were Strc aluminum's. The issue is they fit very, very loose on the axles. The Ar60's and XR10 axles use that splined area they slide on too. The C hubs slide right on and wobble around and will fall right off (before being bolted in obviously). But they have such a loose fit that they just keep loosening the mounting screws under use. If you slide them on the axle and do not bolt them in, they have quite a bit of play. Any other axle C's I have ever used had a snug fit. I would say they have at least a 1/16 inch of movement twisting them. In other words they act like there is not much spline engagement or that the spline area was cut too big.

Is this somewhat common with the STRC stuff for the Wraith/XR10? I have never had this issue with their stuff before. The stock plastic C''s fit nice and snug and proper. So I don't think it is a housing issue.

If anyone has had this issue, what brand fit well? I would have ordered Vanquish to match the knuckles I bought as well but they were out of stock. I hate that I kinda wasted about $30 on them. And some of the other types are $40 or more. So I am just asking what brands would be a good fit. Do the Axials fit well? Should I hold out for Vanquish's?

I will probably be upgrading the housings to Vanquish soon and I won't be as worried at that point. Due to the splines on both the axle housings and C's being aluminum. but I am worried right now that they will strip out, etc till I go the metal housing route. I have to tighten the axle C's mounting screws every few minutes of running. The housings will not take much more of that before the screw holes wear out. I may even run the stock plastic C's till I get this figured.

Thanks for any advice on what is a better product or what direction I should go?
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: STRC fittment issue

I got a set of topcads off of asiatees.com they were $13. They seem to be working out great no slop or wiggle room in them at all. Nice and snug just like the stockers. They do come from hong Kong but from the order date to my door it was only 8 days.
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I bought a pair of Integy type II, c's and knuckles. Much better than the old Integy products, I was surprised, I just replaced the screws that came with them for a better fit.
hanstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Strange, I have STRC knuckles and chubs and they fit right on, weren't loose or anything. Did you contact STRC?
322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

im using the strc knuckles and c's and mine fit nice and tight, no issues at all.
The_kernel114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I had issues with their knuckles...one side was ok but the other side had a lip in it that prevented the bearing from seating properly. Had to take a dremel to it
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I love Vanquish Products!! I have STRC stuff too....I use the STRC upper and lower links. I like them but will probably switch them up soon. Can't go wrong with VP.

ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:00 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

My c's & knuckles fit just fine, but I am using vanquish axle housings.
mudbeast2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Thanks for the input so far guy's! They were brand new un assembled axles. And like I mentioned, the stock plastic C's fit perfect and snug. There is no other issue as far as the bearings seating and the fit between the knuckles and C's is nice and tight but free moving. I am thinking there is just maybe some quality control issue? Both sides have the same loose fit, it is not one side or the other. Both sides are equally loose. That is what is odd to me. I could see if one fit well and the other was loose. Then you would assume that the loose one was just machined incorrectly.

I think I may contact STRC as well. Not looking to get anything out of it. But would like to help fix a production flaw (if that is what it is) so other people do not run into this. I use my Wroncho for mostly lower speed rocks and trail running. Not high speed like some of you guys do (I have seen the videos ). I would think these C's would not last more then a few minutes under that kind of stress.

Thanks again for the input so far!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I had the same issue front and back (straight lockouts too) with topcad parts on my Wringo. I ended up doing two things to fix it. On the straight lockouts I actioally coated the plastic spline with blue locktite before sliding the lockouts on. Then just installed the screws top and bottom. Once cured these were nice and tight and I just took them off last night to change the gear ratio and the slid off with no problem. The loctite has created a kind of gap-fill layer and didn't bond the al to the plastic
On the front I did the same thing but added a step. After loctite on the splines for the chubs, I put ca glue on the screws before installing (I read this somewhere). It has been rock solid with no slop or loosening since. I havent tried to take these of yet because to uninstall I just take the knuckle screws out and everything comes out. I've bashed this front axle pretty hard on mt 11lb rig and its holding up really strong.
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Never had any issues with STRC stuff
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I had play on the rear lockouts, the chubs werent too bad. Once i upgraded to vp axles i had the same play. I ended up going vp everything and wish i did from the start! So much better and not much more, and now they offer a stage one kit with knucks/chubs and lockouts! like 15 bucks more then strc stuff.
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
I had the same issue front and back (straight lockouts too) with topcad parts on my Wringo. I ended up doing two things to fix it. On the straight lockouts I actioally coated the plastic spline with blue locktite before sliding the lockouts on. Then just installed the screws top and bottom. Once cured these were nice and tight and I just took them off last night to change the gear ratio and the slid off with no problem. The loctite has created a kind of gap-fill layer and didn't bond the al to the plastic
On the front I did the same thing but added a step. After loctite on the splines for the chubs, I put ca glue on the screws before installing (I read this somewhere). It has been rock solid with no slop or loosening since. I havent tried to take these of yet because to uninstall I just take the knuckle screws out and everything comes out. I've bashed this front axle pretty hard on mt 11lb rig and its holding up really strong.

Good insight . I have heard that locktite can attack some plastics, good to see it didn't happen on the axle housings. I may even try some shoe-goo. Not sure how well it would work though as it doesnt dry as hard as some things like CA. I did use it on the screws though last night in the same way you used ca on the screws. I may pull the C's and give it a try. So testing results of that will follow. Not sure if I will get to run it this weekend or not? I think I am going to go pull the C's right now and give it a try as Sho-Goo takes a bit to dry (overnight, I think).

STRC fittment issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VP fittment lurchy Axial Wraith 5 10-05-2012 03:21 PM
Strc ?? HIGH-SIDED Axial Wraith 10 02-09-2012 07:35 PM
motor fittment nafie G-Made Crawlers 3 07-17-2011 10:24 AM
Strc lockouts adamargue HPI Wheely King 2 11-11-2010 08:39 PM
Kudos To STRC. Krawln68 General Crawlers 2 05-21-2009 05:00 PM