Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Another Wraith throw a bunch of parts at it build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Another Wraith throw a bunch of parts at it build

Current rig build sheet
Axial wraith chassis
VP links
VP axles v2
Hitec 7950 servo
Castle Mamba x esc
Holmes trailmaster pro 3300kv
Supershafty bombproof trans
Mip drive shafts
Traxxas big bore shocks
Proline TSL swamper 2.2 tires
CI single stage foams
SSD Champion Wheels
Scaler fab front bumper and boat sides

July 28 2018:
So I went to the lhs to sell spare parts and ended up coming home with a Spawn rtr with little use on it. I put a battery in it and crawled around with it then sent it flying up the trail like some kind of race buggy. I smoothed over the idler gear and so the mods began.

August 1 2018:
I had a set of transmission gears from Incision on the shelf so I fixed the truck then went back to it. I really liked the blue/clear VP housings that I got for an SCX10 and I wanted to make it a bit more reliable prior to a trip with it and no spare pats. I grabbed the stage 1 VP kit and put it on with new VP links then went back out to play. I did some other stuff prior to my trip like relocating the battery up front, swapping in a hitec servo and futaba radio system instead of the tactic stuff. I also built a front and rear tray out of some diamond plate to hold the relocated new electronics up front and to hold some scale accessories in the back. I had just experienced some overheating in the SCX10 with the ae5 so I pulled it out too for a mamba max pro I had laying around as well as a Castle bec to help with the servo and 3s. Prior to leaving I spun a pin in the stock wheels and went ahead and put some proline tsl sx on a set of ebay wheels. Final touch was a reefs servo armor for the 7950. Reefs website said it would fit but I discovered it needed a different horn, possibly only the factory hitec blue will fit.

Aug 11 2018:
I had a ton of fun playing in AZ with the Spawn while on vacation. I discovered how much fun hiking with a 2.2 rig is compared to the required technical driving that slows down hiking when driving a 1.9. Also the Spawn is much faster than the SCX10s so I enjoyed it more from the faster pace of crawling.

August 18 2018:
Now that I am home I went on to explore around the reservoir. Another hike another broken rig... No I just a lost a screw but really put a damper on hiking while carrying your RC..... I should have known better....I got home and tore into it all. The stock proline foams were not a forte. I put a set of hyrax tires on some single stage CI foams and put some dual stage with the tslsx. One for crawling the other for trail running.

August 25 2018:
Went on a 4 mile hike and the Spawn did amazingly well. I have a 5000mah battery that fits up front and will last the entire 2 hours on the trail. The hyrax tires did great and the single stage foams were fine for all i did with it.

August 26 2018:
Enjoyed this truck enough to put some money into it. I grabbed the off center axles from VP, clear to match to rock jocks I have under the Honcho. Pulled off the stage 1 kit and got everything one to the new housings, got them all assembled with vvd setup in the front and axial shafts in the rear. Looks great under the truck with some MIP driveshafts too. The Hitec servo is getting swapped out for a Reefs once the horn8 arrives to clear the servo armor....I have a 8274 winch waiting on the ScalerFab bumper and sliders, but this thing is about ready for some brushless power....
Attached Images

Last edited by odomandr; 02-17-2020 at 06:11 PM.
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Another Wraith throw a bunch of parts at it build

Well I'm still waiting on a 8mm nut driver for the vvd wheel nut. I can't find one that fits in the wheel hole on these eBay beadlocks....... May be getting new wheels sooner than later..... Also put in a mamba x and a Holmes 3300kv and an 8274 warn winch on a Scaler Fab bumper.... waiting on a Reefs servo horn to put the armor back on. May make it to an event this weekend we shall see. I did rip it through the yard one time with sorta tight wheels. Got the dual mode setup programmed for rock racing and crawling. That feature is very cool
Old 09-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Hoping that the 8mm driver arrives today. May also put the Reefs servo armor on if the horn to clear it arrives. And the winch plate needs some screws with nuts below as the driver's side seems to be loose and sitting crooked
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2018, 05:34 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

So I swapped the Chinese, I'd guess 375, hubs with the recessed front for some 225 with a flat flush face. Got my driver in and I'm all squared away I believe. I'm going to go trail run it somewhere today on a hike I hope for a shakedown run

Last edited by odomandr; 09-07-2018 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Got this truck all squared away and ran it a bit last night both crawling and hauling ass. I did go back to a hitec servo as the Reefs didn't fit like I'd hoped with the servo armor. It's a lot of fun with the dual mode on the mamba x for both crawling and hauling ass. The 3300kv HH motor really rips. We will see what parts last the longest.......
Old 09-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

So I crawled around on the petrified dune a bit last night. The weight in these axles makes for a very capable rig. I also picked up an axial dig unit to try out in this as well. Maybe I'll learn to drive with it some and justify scratching my xr10 up learning to drive it too.

I also ordered the right foams for the tsl tire setup. The hyrax with the single stage are actually great though. The foams in the tsl setup will be perfect in the xr10 but with the added weight were not feeling right under this truck. Still I am excited to see it with some dual stages too. I also borrowed some klr voodoo's in blue to try out. They feel way harder than I'm used to
Old 11-17-2018, 07:43 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

With winter weather in full swing here in CO the wraith has been a ton of fun in the snow. The hyrax tires with single stage foams can't get through the deeper powder as well as the tsl swampers with dual stage foams. I also have decided that the scaler Fab sliders are great but I'm not sure the jig is correct for this bumper I got. It pulls the posts and messes with the way the body mounts with it on. It's so far off I wouldn't even feel good selling it used. I
Old 11-17-2018, 05:30 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

what battery are you running?
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Venom 3s 5000mah
Old 11-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I grabbed a couple of servos from Amazon. When they came they were not bnib and instead had been put in envelopes and was explained theyvpurchase in bulk and have to open the packs.....neither has lasted more than a month. Hoping for some resolution soon but as a lesson not to buy from anyone but a lhs or authorized retailers......

Anyway the snow has been fun
https://youtu.be/PFnanRxta7s
Old 06-02-2019, 09:55 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

So I returned the servo's and Hitec came through with two replacements or repaired and working servo's I am very happy. I will leave the reef 555 in for now until i need to replace it. I also put some single stage foams in both the Hyrax tires and the TSL Super Swampers. I think it is a much better setup with this rig and my usage. I also picked up a bombproof super shafty transmission for the rig. I would like to grab a new wraith 1.9 body with the hood setup but It may be more work than I have realized upon my quick inspection of a new 1.9
Old 06-03-2019, 07:36 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
I would like to grab a new wraith 1.9 body with the hood setup but It may be more work than I have realized upon my quick inspection of a new 1.9
Putting the new body on shouldn't be too hard, the only real mod would be drilling holes in the grille for the upper bumper supports.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:56 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

The front bumper mount with the CMS setup and all has a few issues to figure out to make it work right. May just trim the posts off the original and run without a front bumper
Old 10-12-2019, 03:07 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Well I decided to do Kustom Konceptz inside skins instead. I had a radio skin and also a similar design done for my xr10 as well. The hood was a bit of work. I've learned a good bit for the next set I do. Came out well though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Another Wraith throw a bunch of parts at it build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bunch-o-parts build ottoride Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 02-11-2012 08:40 PM