Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: KillerBlackbirds Wraith build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: KillerBlackbirds Wraith build...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBlackbird View Post
I'd like to upgrade my transmission gears and spur and pinion gears to metal before I build the transmission. Anyone have any thoughts? I'd like to do a 32P gear. Does anyone sell a package set of replacement gears for the transmission?
Check out supershafty.com they have all the pieces needed to upgrade the trans. On my own wraith i run the robinson racing one piece output and idler gear. I also modded a stock traxxas 32p spur to fit on the axial trans, you just have to open up the bolt holes a little. When i have more $$$ ill be going with the supershafty top shaft and the VP trans housing and BWD motorplate to finish it out. Very nice build btw Make sure you loctite everything aluminum on your rig, it all comes loose fast if you dont
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Looks like your diff covers are upside down.

I just installed the same vp covers and have the same problem.
RKSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittohead View Post
Check out supershafty.com they have all the pieces needed to upgrade the trans. On my own wraith i run the robinson racing one piece output and idler gear. I also modded a stock traxxas 32p spur to fit on the axial trans, you just have to open up the bolt holes a little. When i have more $$$ ill be going with the supershafty top shaft and the VP trans housing and BWD motorplate to finish it out. Very nice build btw Make sure you loctite everything aluminum on your rig, it all comes loose fast if you dont
Hey thanks, Ill have to check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSTAR View Post
Looks like your diff covers are upside down.

I just installed the same vp covers and have the same problem.
Yea I noticed that after I got everything together. I think flipping the diff gear to the other side and moving/switching axles from front to rear would fix it. Somewhere along the line I screwed up lololol. I deal with an upside down logo for now haha.
KillerBlackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

I've been skipping around building different parts of the Wraith while trying to figure out what to do in other areas.

Today I pieced together the cage/frame and mounted it temporarily to the skid plate just to see how everything lines up and looks. So far so good! Shocks seem to be just what I was after on the softest setting, how long they will last is another story.

Starting on the cage:

Just about a complete unit (no front lights or front bumper).

On the skidplate:

And as a "roller" with the wheels and tires bolted up. Ride height isn't bad at stock setting, I can easily adjust that later easily if it feels too tall.

I started on the interior tonight, I put the seats together and started looking at different options for colors and which way I want to go. I may stick with black or a dark gray interior. I have an idea in my mind for the body panels that I want to discuss with Krawler Konceptz for a skin when the time comes.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #25

Awesome build. I've been out of RC for around 25 years and I think the Wraith is going to draw me in.

I'm going to do the kit as well. I love your no expense spared build. Are you planning any scale features?
crit rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crit rat View Post
Awesome build. I've been out of RC for around 25 years and I think the Wraith is going to draw me in.

I'm going to do the kit as well. I love your no expense spared build. Are you planning any scale features?
I probably will add some scale items once I get everything the way I want it to look and i see how it functions on some rocks. I like form and function, definitely adds some interest to it. Kit is the way to go, I've watched the Fast Eddy build videos on YouTube a few times for tips and tricks since this is my first build an I'm new to it.

Since we're on the subject of form and function; I bought a Super Shafty Bomb Proof Transmission that should be shipping out soon. I wanted to replace all my transmission gears with metal gears and this way I don't have to worry about upgrading later if I decide to pump an insane amount of power through it. I also ordered a Robinson Racing 32P 12T pinion that will go with the Robinson Racing Slipper spur gear so ill have all metal gears. My weak points will be driveshafts and shocks, which hopefully Vanquish has replacements for by the time they fail, if they do. I like how the RC4WD King scale shocks look but I don't know how they are for crawling.

I also ordered a Futaba 4PK 4-channel radio, HiTech HS-7950TH Servo, Holmes Hobbies Tourque Master Pro 35T, Holmes Hobbies BRXL, Castle 10A BEC, Venom 3S 5400mah LiPo's, Venom charger, and an Axial light kit. That will give me the bulk of what I need to get it going.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #27

Nice bit of kit to round out the build.

I'll take a look at those Fast Eddy build videos, thanks for the tip.

What made you choose the Holmes stuff?
crit rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crit rat View Post
Nice bit of kit to round out the build.

I'll take a look at those Fast Eddy build videos, thanks for the tip.

What made you choose the Holmes stuff?
I hear good reviews from others on the Holmes equipment. I was going to go with a Tekin FXR and Tekin 35T, but for the $10 more Ill give the Holmes a shot. Plus Holmes Hobbies is a sponsor here so if I have any questions or issues he's right here.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #29
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBlackbird

I also ordered a Futaba 4PK 4-channel radio, HiTech HS-7950TH Servo, Holmes Hobbies Tourque Master Pro 35T, Holmes Hobbies BRXL, Castle 10A BEC, Venom 3S 5400mah LiPo's, Venom charger, and an Axial light kit. That will give me the bulk of what I need to get it going.
Sweeet. You'll love that servo and that motor too. That battery is huge though, it'll be a tight squeeze in either the stock rear or front location most of us have come up with.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Hopefully I can squeeze it in up front.

I'd like to see if I can make inner fenders to keep dirt out if the interior too.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #31
Jus
I wanna be Dave

It'll fit in the front but depending on how you go about it things are gonna get real tight, I know.. I have one of those exact batteries I ran in the Wraith for a while.. Decided I don't like big soft lipos for crawling and only use hardcase packs now.

Good luck on the inner fenders, it is a good idea! My interior always fills up with dirt and other debris from the front tires after I make several attempts to climb a hill. I'll try to get some pics when I get a chance. I made inner fenders out of scrap lexan left over from my Dingo body. I felt pretty darn smart after it was all said and done.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Made a small amount of progress tonight. I'm waiting for my other packages to arrive sometime this week with my other stuff before I go further.

I cut my interior out and fit that so its ready for paint. I painted some of the small interior parts, gloss black shift knob, steel silver shift rod, flat black shift boot. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the seats, leave them black or paint them another color. My floor pan and dash will be Pactra Indy Silver (just a metallic silver). My local hobby shop sucks for lexan body paint color selection.

I might use the guns and gun rack, I'm not sure yet.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBlackbird View Post
Made a small amount of progress tonight. I'm waiting for my other packages to arrive sometime this week with my other stuff before I go further.

I cut my interior out and fit that so its ready for paint. I painted some of the small interior parts, gloss black shift knob, steel silver shift rod, flat black shift boot. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the seats, leave them black or paint them another color. My floor pan and dash will be Pactra Indy Silver (just a metallic silver). My local hobby shop sucks for lexan body paint color selection.

I might use the guns and gun rack, I'm not sure yet.

Not sure how the guns are going to match the rig?
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Konceptz View Post
Not sure how the guns are going to match the rig?
I don't either hahaha!
I probably won't even use them, the first rollover I can see them flying off lol
Old 11-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

I finished my interior. I might have to trim in front of the dash if I put the battery up front.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Nice job so far and moving the battery up front will be a great idea too! I would have hacked my interior before painting it. Oh well.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Hahaha, yea....I'm still undecided about the battery situation. Once they are delivered ill see what I can do.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #38
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, you'll have to trim back the interior right up to the cross-member that's in front of the dash.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

My Super Shafty Bomb Proof transmission just arrived.

This piece is very well built plus I have another Vanquish part (the transmission case lol) to add to my list. The transmission spins very easily. I can't wait to try this thing out.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

i know you are prolly broke from buying those axles, but the stock wraith shocks look so silly ontop of them! get some sexy shocks to match those sexy axles
phase10 is offline   Reply With Quote

KillerBlackbirds Wraith build... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith build #2 SwampDawg Axial Wraith 3 10-14-2012 05:49 PM
My Wraith Build acesal Axial Wraith 29 05-02-2012 09:59 PM
UK Wraith Build o0wiz0o Axial Wraith 6 04-24-2012 12:08 PM
My First build the wraith redneckrampage Axial Wraith 5 04-18-2012 09:44 PM
Wraith build pwrwgn2000 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 10-17-2011 07:27 AM