Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: suspension question!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #1

Default suspension question!!

I am running a wraith droop kit from ckrc with stock shocks now and when the rear of my truck articulates it hits the chassis where to battery is suppose to go, limiting the full use/potential of the shock. It's worse when I push the back down evenly. Limits the shock due to the top of the axle housing hitting the chassis. I want to cut the back and make it a shorter chassis and I don't. (mixed feelings) anyone else have this problem and if yes, how was it fixed? Pictures of chassis in the rear would be nice to see so I can fix my setup. Thank you!
Robchinchilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: suspension question!!

just kinda how the wraith is. my servo its on the front mount rear hits on the battery tray.

could bend up something custom that is built to not hunder suspension cycle
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #3

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Or you could bump stop it on the external side of the shock shaft with some tubing. That way you could adjust it perfectly so the shock cycle ended right before anything hits, but still keep the full extended length.
treys1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
RCC Addict

^+1
Get ahold of some nitro fuel tubing and cut a 5mm piece and externally limit the shock travel. Wraith's have a ton of travel and it would help your ride a bit to limit that long legged beast.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #6

Thanks for the tips guys. I will look into that! I appreciate it
Old 01-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

the wraith does have a ton of travel. but to me that 5mm means alot when its twisted up in the rocks because youv just limited the stuffed side and not allowed the droop side to droop as easily.

my wraith at ride height is only about 1/4" from bottoming out on the control arms.

but this is what it looks like twisted up with the stuffed side completly bottomed out.

the last thing i want to do is limit my shocks. i have thought about cutting stuff out of the way of the control arms but then that still pretty much only matters when both shocks compress together at the same time.

this would be on basher type rig. and i do bash and tune these shocks stiffer with a slightly higher ride height and havent noticed bottoming at speeds and jumpsing

Last edited by evan03; 01-23-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

let it rub in my jeep (not a rc) when it rubs it gives a story to tell. 1:1 trucks fender rub all the time. but like others said if you limit the up travel the other side wont work the way you want it. but if you dont plan on doing a ton of crawling then you could limit it.
jkustomz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
the wraith does have a ton of travel. but to me that 5mm means alot when its twisted up in the rocks because youv just limited the stuffed side and not allowed the droop side to droop as easily.

my wraith at ride height is only about 1/4" from bottoming out on the control arms.

but this is what it looks like twisted up with the stuffed side completly bottomed out.

the last thing i want to do is limit my shocks. i have thought about cutting stuff out of the way of the control arms but then that still pretty much only matters when both shocks compress together at the same time.

this would be on basher type rig. and i do bash and tune these shocks stiffer with a slightly higher ride height and havent noticed bottoming at speeds and jumpsing
You don't appear to have stock shocks, Our advice given to the OP is that he is running a stock length shock. So i think that the 5mm in a stock shock is perfect amount. Just a thought
Old 01-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

5mm limited on stock shock is also a 5mm limted amount on not stock shock.

i do run the stock shocks but have giving up on them because they have not stopped leakins

they provide a very similar ride height and travel to the buggy front shocks. they also perform very well when full of oil.

fron running the stock shocks int he rocks i wouldnt want to limit there travel. i would possibly limit the travel if it was basher or foffer type rig but then i think id install som rubber bumpstops instead of stiff fuel line

i guess im going to have to put the stock shocks on and see if 5mm even keeps them from letting the control hit. since this appears to be the perfect number. wheres my calipers

i have vid of the stock shocks and these shocks if wed want to see a comparision there.

Last edited by evan03; 01-23-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Having shocks setup where they allow parts to come in contact with each other is not the right setup IMO. Limiting them either on compression or extension and some times both is what happens in full size rigs. Will it hurt anything on a 1:10 scale truck, probably not, but having it properly setup will certainly give you more reliable performance.

If you just want it to flex like hell for the fun of it go right ahead
treys1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

exackly.

probly not a good idea for high speeds and bashing.

kinda all depends on what the OP wants to do

seems this hole hobby is for the fun of it
Old 01-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #13
RCC Addict

5mm of travel limiting has been a "magic" number for quite a while.
Seems that whatever flexy machine you have, works for you. From what I have seen/read/experienced over the years is that all that excess flex can make it quite tippy in situations where you would rather carry a wheel and continue forward progress vs. dropping a wheel into a the crack and flexing through it throwing off the vehicle balance.

Either way, try different setups. See what works best for you and your terrain, don't forget to have fun.

suspension question!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension question blackacid Axial SCX-10 13 02-29-2012 12:25 AM
suspension question... brianw General Scale Talk 1 05-13-2010 04:33 PM
suspension question minor_threat Axial AX-10 Scorpion 17 03-10-2009 08:40 PM
suspension question kerruptax10 Newbie General 1 12-19-2007 02:07 AM
Suspension question crawlerready Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 7 07-13-2006 10:04 AM