Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New ScaleReady *IFS Wraith chassis* feeler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Question New ScaleReady *IFS Wraith chassis* feeler

I have been giving this a lot of thought lately. My brother and I have been bouncing ideas back and forth for a bit, trying to figure out just how to make it happen.......

Before we get too wild on the idea, who all would be interested in one?

What it will be, is a Full steel wraith chassis, but with front end modifications that accept the front end of an EXO. We are going to design it, to where you can virtually take the front end out of your EXO, and bolt it to this chassis, creating a seamless IFS wraith. The details are still being hammered out at this point. This is merely a feeler thread to guage interest.

I anticipate the price to be around $400-$450. Give or take, depending on details.

What would you guys like to see in this chassis. Are there components of either one that you would like to keep or ditch in favor of the other? Beings how this is still in the engineering stages, making adjustments to accomodate certain things, is not a big issue.

Discuss
ScaleReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: New ScaleReady *IFS Wraith chassis* feeler

I would like to add, I am not trying to step on anyone's toes here. I know that the EXO/Wraith hybrid has been done before. This is not going to be the same at all. I am not blending the 2 chassis' together. Depending on feedback I get from this thread, will depend on the chassis design.

No need to buy two kits to get the IFS wraith setup. It will likely run the wraith skid with custom work in the front to allow the EXO front end components to directly bolt to the chassis. I will build a custom bumper/skid plate setup in the front as well, that will accomodate extra lighting.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Love to see a full metal IFS wraith!
BoardN88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

sounds cool. dont you think full steel would be way too heavy though?
phase10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I think I'd like to know more.
I'm about to get the last pieces to start the cut & shit version, but I'd hold off.

I've wondered it is possible to create a skid plate to hold the EXO front IFS, Axial Trans & have link mount for the rear axle.

All that would be needed is to work out how best to build the cage?
Work on a chopped up Wraith/Exo combo or do something original?

I'm thinking of using the EXO front body work (cos I think it looks cool), front section of the Exo cab. Then maybe blend the rear in to form a shorter body to utilize the rear Exo cage.
MostlyBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase10 View Post
sounds cool. dont you think full steel would be way too heavy though?

The full metal wraith chassis he makes now are only 2.2lbs and way better then the plastic tuber
lets go jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Master Rocksmith...

I've actually been thinking about this exact thing ever since I seem the JIA Hybrids! I want one, but can't justify the close to 750$ for both kits plus the conversion? This is the exact alternative that I was imagining? For the price of a wraith axle and the parts to build an EXO front end, plus this full steel frame, it would still be in the neighborhood of 600-750$ish bucks... You just gave me a new reason to start saving for a Christmas present to myself... If u make it, it will sell!!!
FlightInstrukta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I know people really want to keep it axial, but i think the slash 4x front end is much stronger. Also to build something like you are talking about there really is no need to buy the kits. By the time people replace the parts they would have anyway, you can just buy the aftermarket parts and put it together. All you really need is an axial tranny and rear axle housing.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I would be in for one, for sure, it's been a month I have been thinking about one.
utieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
I know people really want to keep it axial, but i think the slash 4x front end is much stronger. Also to build something like you are talking about there really is no need to buy the kits. By the time people replace the parts they would have anyway, you can just buy the aftermarket parts and put it together. All you really need is an axial tranny and rear axle housing.
I was thinking the exact same thing. The frontend of my slash has taken beatings that would leave an exo in pieces. Only real issue is that it's really wide (I think it's closer to 1/8 scale vs 1/10) so the physical dimension may be an issue.
BubbaEinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Damn you Phil!! I haven't even finished the regular Wraith I got from you yet and now I'm gonna have to have one of these too
Crawlster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Perfect This is the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Can someone get me a hex to hex measurement for that slash front end please?

So I am seeing mixed opinions on the IFS setup, which is cool. I agree that the slash front would be tougher, but there may be an issue with width? Perhaps a wider hex in the rear?

I am down to build the chassis off of either base for the IFS.

As far as chassis design goes, I can do a wraith chassis with accomodations for the IFS, or I can change up the front entirely, and go for the agressive EXO look with the fastback wraith style in the rear? I would like to make it to where the EXO lightbars will be a direct fit as well.

I am going to attempt to make the steering setup work with out having to have a massive skid plate under the front half. I do not have a slash 4x4 front setup, so I will need to come up with one for mock up if we choose to run those parts.

I do not have a solid idea on when the production of these will occur, but trust me, when it gets close to that time, you will know.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleReady View Post
So I am seeing mixed opinions on the IFS setup, which is cool. I agree that the slash front would be tougher, but there may be an issue with width? Perhaps a wider hex in the rear?
I dont have one but I doubt the slash is any wider than an exo hex to hex. When I use the slash MIP CVD's on my Exo I found out that they were too short and I had to get longer male bones to make em work.

Re engineering the steering is gonna be a pain on either set-up.
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Your current metal Wraith is a thing of beauty. I wouldn't change the cage at all. Just rearrange the front.
OEM Traxxas parts are beefy and cheap. But there are a lot of swell aftermarket upgrades for the Exo. We know from JIA that a lot of bead lock wheels work on the Exo. The 2 are a tried and tested platform.
drywallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleReady View Post
Perfect This is the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Can someone get me a hex to hex measurement for that slash front end please?
Changes with suspension travel but I measured 10.5" so that's a good ballpark.
BubbaEinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaEinstein View Post
Changes with suspension travel but I measured 10.5" so that's a good ballpark.
Thank you!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywallguy View Post
Your current metal Wraith is a thing of beauty. I wouldn't change the cage at all. Just rearrange the front.
OEM Traxxas parts are beefy and cheap. But there are a lot of swell aftermarket upgrades for the Exo. We know from JIA that a lot of bead lock wheels work on the Exo. The 2 are a tried and tested platform.
Thank you! I may be biting off quite a bit with this idea. Maybe it will come down to a wraith style chassis with ifs, and then I will just design a whole new ifs chassis with a style of its own.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Well the benefit of running a modded Slash 4x4 front end is the simplicity and beefiness of it. I remember the first scale IFS I saw on here blew my mind called Project Mayhem. One of the problems that the potential owners will have to deal with is rear end shock placement on that solid rear axle of the Wraith to have good predictable pavement blasting. I see sway bars as a definite must.

Now if your plan is to build this rig as a desert/loose terrain rig then it wouldn't quite be such a big factor. I'd definitely be interested in what you have planned...any sketches or drawings??
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
Well the benefit of running a modded Slash 4x4 front end is the simplicity and beefiness of it. I remember the first scale IFS I saw on here blew my mind called Project Mayhem. One of the problems that the potential owners will have to deal with is rear end shock placement on that solid rear axle of the Wraith to have good predictable pavement blasting. I see sway bars as a definite must.

Now if your plan is to build this rig as a desert/loose terrain rig then it wouldn't quite be such a big factor. I'd definitely be interested in what you have planned...any sketches or drawings??
As I design the chassis, I will have a better idea on shock placement for the rear. I will come up with the best option I can figure, and then if someone needs other options, they can add those options as I build their chassis. I don't have any sketches that I am willing to share yet. Bunch of chicken scratch right now.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets go jeep View Post
The full metal wraith chassis he makes now are only 2.2lbs and way better then the plastic tuber
does he sell that? i wanna see =p
phase10 is offline   Reply With Quote

New ScaleReady *IFS Wraith chassis* feeler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zuki_dan's Steel wraith chassis by ScaleReady ScaleReady Axial Wraith 83 12-30-2012 10:15 AM
Click here if you would like your own ScaleReady Full steel wraith chassis ScaleReady Axial Wraith 1 10-15-2012 10:56 AM