Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Scale Wraith KOT style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2015, 05:45 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Scale Wraith KOH style

Conformal coating can take care of the waterproofing.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2018, 06:36 AM   #82
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Scale Wraith KOT style

Some update on the KOH Buggy. That's really a slow build...

Changed my mind on the oil tank and pump completely. With the small tank the oil got very hot in very short time. So a bigger tank is needed. Tried to buil on myself but then I saw this nice small Lesu tank that carries a good amount of oil and is made of metal. This alone cools down oil temperature alot. Got a more powerful external oil pump from Macom HRC that will suck the oil from the tank which will be located on the rear bed section of the Buggy.

The only problem that still exist is the point the oil is taken from the tank. It is flat on the bottom side. Means at steep climbing or even a rollover, the pump may suck air. So to avoid this I had to move the point where the oil is taken towards the center of the tank.

I started with a blank 8mm brass rod.

I turned it down on the lathe until i got a nozzle and cut a M5 thread that Matches the bottom of the tank.

Also cut a M5 thread on the inside to receive the original nipple.

Finally I milled notches on both sides.

This way my small wrench fits into the notches and so I can tighten and open the Adapter.

This are all parts together for the tank.

Tank, pump, filter and oil cooler that will go in.
ThomasR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

This is a cool rig but it looks way off to tall and narrow and the tires are way to small like a big foot on street tires or you installed a lift but couldent aford new tires the koh buggies run 55"-58" tall tires so to be a scale koh buggie its realy needs bigger tires maybe lower it about a inch and it would look like a vintage trail buggie not something half finnished and waiting for parts like a high school kid that lifts 5here truck as much as they can and still runs the stock tires
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #84

Ferp420 please do not bash. He has done a lot of work to this build that only people dream of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bryner250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:11 PM   #85
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
This is a cool rig but it looks way off to tall and narrow and the tires are way to small like a big foot on street tires or you installed a lift but couldent aford new tires the koh buggies run 55"-58" tall tires so to be a scale koh buggie its realy needs bigger tires maybe lower it about a inch and it would look like a vintage trail buggie not something half finnished and waiting for parts like a high school kid that lifts 5here truck as much as they can and still runs the stock tires
The Buggy is still far away from beeing finished. The shocks may change as the ride hight maybe will change too. Will see. However, I prefer the narrow stance rather than the weird looking extra wide Wraith axles. Well the axles could be an Inch wider in total, but those axles do not exist yet. And it is a King of the Hammers like Rock Buggy and not a Rock Bouncer. KOH Buggies normally run about 40" tires. So I think overall it looks right.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #86
Rock Stacker

Another time I changed my mind on a part that I planned to use. The small hydraulic oil cooler might not cool down the oil enough, and increase the overall amount of oil just a bit to less I'm afraid. Also it looks a bit to bulky... So I am making my own oil cooler starting with brass tubes...

4x4 square tube and 3mm round tube.

Measuring the hole pattern for the tubes and drill a 1.2 mm hole and cut both evenly with the milling machine.

Final 3mm holes drilled and cut all tubes evenly.

Put everything together and line up both ends evenly with 2mm drills. That ensures that the tubes penetrate only 1mm into the square tubes and Keep up enough oil flow.

Alignment is everything.

Soldering...

Diagonally on each side I soldered a M2 nut. A screw is sealing the cooler and I can drain oil or ventilate by opening the right screw.

The appropriate nipples will be soldered later when I have decided the final Position of the oil cooler.

I am now on hold waiting some brass parts to arrive I need to finish the cooler. To be continued...
Old 01-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #87
Rock Stacker

Amazing ingenuity on this build. I love the look and idea of the functional hydraulic steering. I can't believe I have never seen this build thread before. Please keep it coming. Thanks.
Lavigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:52 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
The Buggy is still far away from beeing finished. The shocks may change as the ride hight maybe will change too. Will see. However, I prefer the narrow stance rather than the weird looking extra wide Wraith axles. Well the axles could be an Inch wider in total, but those axles do not exist yet. And it is a King of the Hammers like Rock Buggy and not a Rock Bouncer. KOH Buggies normally run about 40" tires. So I think overall it looks right.
Exactly - 2-time KOH winner Erik Miller's vehicle:

Your build is astoundingly cool - loads of great ideas, quality execution - and most importantly patience and a willingness to toss a concept aside and re-engineer it. I will try to be as patient as you to see how it turns out!

"Es ist Wahnsinnig toll!"
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #89
I wanna be Dave

the xrmod axles are inbetween the wraith and scx10 axles size and use the same gears as the original scx10 and the ar60s they do need special legnth axles but you can buy them vanquish sells th3m also boom racing sells them boom racing also sells a potmetal xrmod housing personaly i like the potmetal axles my self but you can do the xrmod with stock scx10 axles to you just need the parts i could sware that when i was on the lake bed a few days ago watching the prerunning that they were running 55"+;tires but a quick google serch says they run 40s but that information is all 2-3 years old so i could be way off but i still think there running bigger tires than 40s ill check next week when i get back home i can watch the race from my couch out the front window i can but i wont there are better places to spectate from than my house
Old 01-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryner250 View Post
Ferp420 please do not bash. He has done a lot of work to this build that only people dream of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not bashing just giving my opinion the way its being built looks more like a oldschool trail buggie/jeep buggie than koh race buggie back in the early days thats what they ran in king of the hammers but quickly evolved way past that
Old 01-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #91
Rock Crawler

Quote:
the xrmod axles are inbetween the wraith and scx10 axles size and use the same gears as the original scx10 and the ar60s they do need special legnth axles but you can buy them vanquish sells th3m also boom racing sells them boom racing also sells a potmetal xrmod housing personaly i like the potmetal axles my self but you can do the xrmod with stock scx10 axles to you just need the parts i could sware that when i was on the lake bed a few days ago watching the prerunning that they were running 55"+;tires but a quick google serch says they run 40s but that information is all 2-3 years old so i could be way off but i still think there running bigger tires than 40s ill check next week when i get back home i can watch the race from my couch out the front window i can but i wont there are better places to spectate from than my house
You're way off on the tire size. Every single participant I know from being in the 1:1 world runs between 39 inch and 42 inch tires. Only in the last year or two have 42s come into popularity as the red label crawlers, goodyear mtr, and the maxxis trepadors all offer the sticky compound, but most still run the BF Goodrich KRT. I have never in all the years of king of the hammers seen anyone running a 50 plus inch tire. Interco does make a 54 inch bogger, but other than that, I don't know a single 50 plus inch tire thats a non Ag or military tire.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
i could sware that when i was on the lake bed a few days ago watching the prerunning that they were running 55"+;tires but a quick google serch says they run 40s but that information is all 2-3 years old so i could be way off but i still think there running bigger tires than 40s ill check next week when i get back home i can watch the race from my couch out the front window i can but i wont there are better places to spectate from than my house

First rig inside koh not a comp rig but alot of whats out here

Last edited by ferp420; 04-18-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #93
Rock Stacker

And ahead it goes... got new brass material in the mail.

Got a fine steel mesh that covers the rear side of the Radiator.

Cut the correct size and folding the longer edges.

Soldered to the Frame.

Soldered the side rails for the air-box that is going to house a dual fan Setup similar to this:

This on arrived just today by the way. Great tool to cut nicely and accurately tubes, rods and so on... it is a Proxxon KGS 80 Chop Saw. Nice toy.

Okay, soldering the other side rails. They are 1mm higher. This is not a mistake, it's on intention.

This is how the two 25mm Micro fans are going to sit in the air box.

Last edited by ThomasR; 01-20-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:52 AM   #94
Quarry Creeper

Thomas, I like many, have found this incredible Build late....
This is about as Scale as it gets!!!

Without the authentic Hydraulic Steering, this is an amazing, very detailed Job. That Hydro Steering setup is just Mind-Blowing!!! I can't wait to see this Beast really put through its paces. If you should Compete, the LOOKS of it alone might intimidate other people!
If you don't mind, I may be copying some of this - particularly the front enclosure you built out of Styrene. That's at least ONE medium that I've got much experience with.

By the time you read this, I'll be starting on my FIRST Axial Wraith build!!! In fact, my first ever Axial Product! And that's only because it was a gift. I could never afford one in my position. If you get time, my thread is in this same section....

I've been scouting around here for good ideas.....
Yours Sir, is definitely one of the Jackpots!! I look forward to seeing more.
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:36 AM   #95
Rock Stacker

Thank you for the many nice words! I'm crazy for scale looking things and so I often go crazy with my builds. The idea of a true and fully functional hydraulic steering challenged me a lot. Especially as this has not been done before in this way gave the additional drive.

The circumstance that something that I made may inspire others feels good actually. I also crawl through many build threads hoping for Inspiration and ideas for my builds. So feel free to take anything you might find useful. Thats what this thread is for.

Certainly I will check out your thread as well to see what you may build.

..... another little Progress on my build.

I soldered 1.4mm nuts onto the Frame. This is where the backside of the airbox will be attached.

Then I milled down the frame of the fans so they fit flush with the backside into the airbox.

Glued 1.4mm bolts into the holes to attach them onto the backside.

I used styrene just to try if that solution may work or not. I might stick to styrene or go with brass. Will see.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:31 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

I just stumbled on this thread and read it beginning to end. What an absolutely amazing amount of work, craftsmanship, ingenuity and creativity. It's so cool to see people take these things this far and with such incredible skill. My hat is off to you sir. Incredible build.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Scale Wraith KOT style - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Racing Style Wraith RcStud5 Axial Wraith 15 10-01-2012 08:19 PM
Island Style Wraith guahan911 Axial Wraith 10 05-29-2012 12:58 AM
KoH style Wraith Mad4Rnr Axial Wraith 60 04-14-2012 05:13 PM
My Ultra 4 style AX/Wraith jeepinkid83 Axial Wraith 36 02-27-2012 09:32 PM