Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Rebuilding my RTR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #1

Default Rebuilding my RTR

Got my wraith a couple of weeks ago, it's my first RC and I'm hooked. After spending the last couple weeks of beating it up and breaking a few parts I've decided it's time to break it down and make it my own.
Now I'm new to RC but I have been looking to get one for a couple of years so I've done some research and spent sometime lurking in the shadows on here.

So far I broke a knuckle, front bumper supports and a rear top corner. I feel like the servo is ready to go at anytime, but otherwise I'm pretty impressed with what this thing can do right out of the box.

Upgrades to date.
Strc knuckles
Strc chubs
Strc lockouts
Strc steering links

In the works are a chopped rear chassis and a paint job, new servo, alum lower links, flipped link/shock mounts to lower the cog along with moving the battery up front, some wheel weights are a must, at speed it spends more time on its side then on its wheels, also knocked the rear lights off a couple times so I think I want to find a way to recess them into the body

I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you more experienced guys might be able to help me with to get me started. As of right now the entire thing has been taken apart, every screw has been removed, so I really want to get started putting it back together so I can start tearing it up on the rocks.

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with testors spray enamel on the chassis, I've tried finding the krylon fusion but I can't find the color I want around here. I'm also wondering if anyone has had any luck removing the stock paint off the body panels, I'm hoping to paint them flat black.

I'll try to post up a few pics as I go along.

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
jdoubleu80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Rebuilding my RTR

Its going to be hard to find a paint that will hold up on the chassis.

As for the body, soak it in DOT 4 brake fluid if you want to strip it. It will still look "cloudy" though when done. Search on here for stripping paint and you will find more info. To get more of a flat color you could always paint the outside of the panels, but it will scratch up over time. (Which can look more realistic if that's what your going for)
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #3

I've done some searching on here as far as paint is concerned, found that krylon fusion seems to be a fav, but just have never found anyone that has tried the testors enamel spray, was hoping someone who has might find this thread. Also i've seen that brake fluid works just didn't know if anyone has used it on the stock panels, was wondering if they are actually just painted clear panels or of the paint can't be removed from the rtr panels. Although i do like the idea of painting the outside instead of underneath, will give it a more realistic look once it starts getting beat up. God knows my 1/1 doesnt have a perfect paint job.

Ordered some alum uppers and lowers, driveshafts and a couple other pieces last night, hoping to get the body cut and painted before the parts show up.
Looking into servos right now, trying to find the highest torque i can that will plug n play without getting a bec just yet.
Going to see about removing the tires from the rims so i can add some weights.

I'll post up some pics as things start to come together.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i know most people will look at this servo and look away very quickly but then most on this forumn arent budget building. every build i do is budget build wether its plane heli or car and man i found this servo and for the money(8bucks) is awesome as can be

has i think 290oz of tourge all metal gears and is futaba splined servo horns. i didnt believe it had all metal gears so i took it apart to see and sure enough its stuffed entirely of metal gears.

the one on my wraith has literaly hours upon hours of run and fly time under its belt with not a single hiccup. i also have 7 or 8 of the same servos in other planes and laying around on the bench.

it may not be what your looking for but i figured id throw it out there.

HXT 10kg Servo (metal gear) 55g / 10kg / .16sec (USA Warehouse)
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #5

I think for that price you can't really argue with at least giving it a try, I'm all about budget parts, thanks for the link
Old 01-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Good info. Thanks guys.
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

if you want to change the color of your panels youll havr to paint the outside. Its real tough to get the stock paint job off,and yes it sucks.Painting the out side works well but it does chip and crack like bondo.have fun with the new addiction, lots of fun
trig n tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #8

Chopped the back, just need to figure out how to make some supports. And mount up the spare.

Moved the ESC under the "subwoofers", thought I was going to have to lengthen some wires, but everything is just long enough.

Battery Firewall

Need to figure out a way to mount the hood using pins, don't want to have to unscrew it every time I need to get to the battery and Mocking up where I'm going to move the tai lights into the frame and
Old 01-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Sweet chop.

I want to chop mine but haven't been able to bring myself to do it
Old 01-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Sweet chop.

I want to chop mine but haven't been able to bring myself to do it
Old 01-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #11

D Yeah it took me a few days of just staring at it in pieces to convince myself i could figure out what to do. Its my first rc and ive only had it a few weeks. But im waiting on some parts, so i figured what the heck, i got nothing else to do for now.
Found the krylon fusion paint i wanted today to, so im going to experiment on some of the junk pieces of frame with the 2 paints i have and see which one looks better and holds up to a scratch test more.

In the end you just need to jump in and make the first cut, there is no turning back .

Last edited by jdoubleu80; 01-20-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I found it easier to make the first cut on my of road 1/1 rig. I'll probly make a link to tie it into the rear shock mount.

Have any pics of your new paint?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #13

Still working on testing the paints on scrap chassis pieces, I have a feeling the testors enamel spray is going to work out and I hope so it's really the color I want, I started giving the body a rough sanding hoping the rattle can will stick to it a bit better. I also need to finish mocking up the new rear supports and tire mount as well as drilling for the new rear light mounts and ESC, then I'll get the chassis painted. It will be a few days before I make any real progress.

But thanks for the interest, no worries though man I'll keep updating as I make progress.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #14

So it's been a busy week at work and at home so it's taken me sometime to get things done, not to mention this is my first rc and I've had it less then a month, so trying to do things right is taking me sometime. So far I've managed to chop the back and mod the links to make new rear supports, tied the supports together with some rod I had laying around, going to mount the spare on it when I get to it. Recessed the taillights into the body and drilled and mounted the ESC under the woofers, also moved the power switch into the center console.
I did a scratch test with the 2 different paints I found and it seems the testors enamel will hold up just as well as the krylon fusion on the chassis, which is great since the testors is more the color I want then the fusion. Next step is to finish up the 10+ coats on the chassis, more/slower=better. Working on painting the panels as well.
And of course still waiting on my parts, I'm on a budget so I have to wait for the cheapo parts from Hong Kong to make it to the east coast.
Here's a couple pics.

Thanks for looking, I'll keep updating as I go.

Rebuilding my RTR - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rebuilding my ax-10 wvbigal Axial AX-10 Scorpion 36 04-07-2013 09:25 PM
rebuilding a rebel 2 Tuffone Electronics 3 10-07-2007 06:31 AM
Rebuilding my pc. Mikekx65 Chit Chat 26 09-30-2007 10:16 AM
Rebuilding the Stick JasonInAugusta Tamiya Clod Buster 35 06-20-2007 09:49 PM
Rebuilding Ralph JasonInAugusta Tamiya TLT Crawlers 157 01-07-2007 10:53 PM