Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set - Underdrive REAR - ISSUE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question Wraith Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set - Underdrive REAR - ISSUE

Hallo everybody!

I try to make it clear but I am not English native speaker...

I just assembled the Axial’s under drive AX30402(43T/13T) Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set in the rear axle and the stock ratio Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set AX30395 (38T/13T) in the front.

First I spotted the rear HD rear ring (43T) has a slightly different outer shape (opposite side of the tooth, where the shaft is inserted...) compared to the HD 38T ring (used in the front)

Rear Axle: once mounted according to standard lay-out (as for the original Wraith's Manual at page 15), as soon as I tried to tighten the screws of the Straight Axle Adapter Rear (AX80071) I noticed the movement of the gear sets was "blocked". After several trials I found out the Straight Axle Shaft AX30776 (the short one 6x104.2mm) is pushing the ring in the towards the pinion, thus creating a slight interference and therefore resulting in a very tight meshing and even hard to rotate....

The axles are brand new (stock)

I tried to swap / invert the diff and the result is the gears are moving smoothly as they used to with stock gears

I AM REFERRING TO the REAR ONLY where I used the 43/18

In the FRONT no issue at all, it seems the tolerances are wider in the front and the shafts does not apply any axial force to the gear ring

So, apparently by swapping the direction of the diff all works smoothly.

However this way the gears are mounted in the opposite way compared to the Manual and I must mount the diff covers (non Axial brand) upside down, resulting with the text being also upside down, plus the possible inconvenience of running the gears in a direction that is not the most suitable one for the geometry of the tooth themselves

Anyone experienced the same issue?
Anyone has any idea? or suggestion about best way out?
I personally would like to install everything according to Axial's instructions (I think the Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set is made in a way that the shape (spiral gear design) has a preferred direction of rotation...)

Any help will be pretty much appreciated!

thanks a lot
slimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Wraith Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set - Underdrive REAR - ISSUE

i had the same issue with just adding HD stock ration in the rear. I egged out the holes in the lockout of the short shaft so it sits about a 1/2mm wider then it should but now the gear mesh is good. Hope this helps
BoardN88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

My only concern is I want to go to VP axle housings with their lockouts too and don't want to have to egg out the VP lockouts... After looking at my stock gears I was thinking, why not take the 1/2 mm off of the gear where the short axle sits in. that way everything would be assembled as it should and not for the ring and pinion to bind?

Last edited by BoardN88; 01-23-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

First of all thanks for the input and sharing ur solutions! Actually I am not quite sure the shaft sits onto the ring gear or directly on to the lockout.., must check later.... But I seem to remember it sits onto the perimeter area of the hole in the ring gear.... must check though.... Indeed my first idea was to remove some material either on the ring or on the shaft where the stop ring is located, nearby the extremity towards the diff... Hope I made myself clear... Will post some sketches or pics.... Need time to work on the rig ... that I do not have most probably till Sunday this week.... Keep u posted and reading u! Thanks a lot meanwhile

Slim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardN88 View Post
i had the same issue with just adding HD stock ration in the rear. I egged out the holes in the lockout of the short shaft so it sits about a 1/2mm wider then it should but now the gear mesh is good. Hope this helps
BTW u wrote u egged out the holes in the lockout and worked...so I assume the shaft sits on the lockout not on the ring gear...? Do u confirm?

Old 01-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Hard to tell, when I would thread the lockout in before i egged out it would get to tight on the ring and pinion when the lockout was completely tightened, I think it is pushing the Ring a little to much so if you would take out a little bit where the axle sits in the gear it shouldn't push the ring in anymore i am assuming.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Get some pics up when you get some time man
Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

There is a long thread in here somewhere about the short shaft issue and the ring gear position in the diff. The RTR's had the diffs installed opposite of the manual instructions. My suggestion is to remove some of the collar that prevents the shaft from entering the ring gear. I would not suggest trying to modify the HD ring gears. They are extremely hard and will be very to get the material off of. I have taken a hand file to my stock shafts and removed the hole collar on the inner side of the shaft, but then if the shafts don't fit tight in the locker they will be end play in and out on the axleshaft.
zuki_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuki_dan View Post
There is a long thread in here somewhere about the short shaft issue and the ring gear position in the diff. The RTR's had the diffs installed opposite of the manual instructions. My suggestion is to remove some of the collar that prevents the shaft from entering the ring gear. I would not suggest trying to modify the HD ring gears. They are extremely hard and will be very to get the material off of. I have taken a hand file to my stock shafts and removed the hole collar on the inner side of the shaft, but then if the shafts don't fit tight in the locker they will be end play in and out on the axleshaft.

Thanks for the info, will look for the other thread

I also thought the HD ring gear's material would be too hard to mill it out...
I was thinking about getting rid of the inner collar (stop collar) but not quite sure about how it will behave as it won't fit tight thus resulting in end play....

I must check it more in detail and figure out how to solve it.

Still looking for the other thread which I could not find yet....

thanks
Old 01-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Rear axle short shaft issue?

Here. There were quite a few people that had the shaft issue.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Rear axle short shaft issue?

Here. There were quite a few people that had the shaft issue.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:03 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Just found it and reading it!

Thanks a lot!

Wraith Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set - Underdrive REAR - ISSUE - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set 43/13 guidetti_angelo General Crawlers 1 05-15-2012 08:32 PM
Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set, Better than stock? terrible Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 07-25-2008 09:23 PM
Ax10 Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set In Stock RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 7 12-14-2007 04:52 PM