Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: What shocks you running?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #81
Rock Stacker

Default Re: What shocks you running?

How long are the xxlong shocks.
hooty481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #82

Im running the 103 gmade shocks with the level 3 droop kit and have been happy with it so far, ive only run it a few times since i put them on though. No compaints
Scjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #83

im running king 110mm and there awesome!
dirtyrigpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #84
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyrigpig View Post
im running king 110mm and there awesome!
Are the kings really stiff? I've heard that from somebody else but I love the looks of them
throttlejock27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #85
Pebble Pounder

Where do you buy this stuff? Seems like everyone is out of stock and has been for awhile. XD piggybacks, King, etc.
lowandslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #86
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowandslow View Post
Where do you buy this stuff? Seems like everyone is out of stock and has been for awhile. XD piggybacks, King, etc.
Yea I noticed that. I usually go with rpp hobby
Old 03-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #87
Pebble Pounder

Hell, they're out of stock too. Man, must be a run on Wraith shocks.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #88
RCC Addict

I stopped in at RPP on Monday and picked up a pair of 103mm XD Aeration shocks.
Still have to assemble them.
Will report back.

The Venom Creeper 138mm shocks I am running in the rear are OK. Just OK.
They leak a small bit, but far less than stock wraith shocks. For $20/ set of four I cant complain.
Now if only I could find a spring that is 5" long with the same rate as Losi 1.4's.......
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #89
Pebble Pounder

What's the advantage with the Aeration over the regular XD Diaphragm?
Old 03-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #90
RCC Addict

No advantage to one vs the other, just different designs.
Aeration is somehow supposed to be easier to fill. (according to Nate @ RPP.) I Would have gotten the piggybacks, but they are out of stock as stated above.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #91
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post

i drilled the larger ports. the idea behind this is at slow speed oil easily passes through the large ports then at high speed like a jump landing the oil is slowed through the small ports.

the large ports made a huge difrence for slow speed crawling.
Correct in theory, not so much in the practice of execution.... Since there is no valve stack on either side of the piston and there is no fluid priority device controlling which holes do what range of damping.

A 1:1 shock piston has two sides to it, compression and rebound. These are typically offset from one another so only one side is active when traveling in one direction. When the shock is compressing, the fluid is pushing on the valve stack of the rebound side, effectively shutting it off, but the gap between the rebound and compression ports allows the fluid to enter the compression ports and pass by the valve stack for the compression damping. The same happens for the rebound stroke except it uses the rebound ports and valve stack while closing the compression ports.

The content of the valve stack determines whether you will have linear, progressive or digressive rates for low and high speed velocities.

Bypass, whether internally or externally using tubes, bring in another factor which literally allows the fluid to bypass the valve stack for that zone of the stroke so you can have soft and firm zones of travel in addition to the high and low speed differences which are accomplished with the valve stack.

What you did was soften up the damping across the board. The only way to give some priority to compression or rebound would be to chamfer one side or the other of a given set or series of holes. This would help create a Venturi effect allowing more fluid to pass through the hole as opposed to a non chamfered hole (fluid flowing in the other direction).

If you want more details on any of the topics, let me know and we can go into a deeper dive, what I discussed was just brushing the surface of shock vavling and how to achieve a given desired result.

As for the original topic, I'm running XR10 shocks with LOSI good springs and I'm looking into options for a shock that offers more functionality and packages at a similar length and diameter. I may end up going with the proline power stroke shocks with delrin pistons, that have either one of or both, these features; compression/rebound specific adjustability or an adjustable valve stack which can be adjusted for progressive, linear or digressive rates.

Last edited by 95geo; 03-13-2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Wrong pic...
95geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #92
Pebble Pounder

Well, I found one set of the 103mm XD piggybacks on Amazon so I grabbed those and another set of 103mm Aeration's. Guess I'll see which I like best. Who needs matching shocks anyways...

Last edited by lowandslow; 03-13-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

95geo.

Awesome post. I've just about talked myself into the made piggybacks.

I think crawler innovations sales shock valveing kits that looked interesting.

Properly setup piggbacks have awesome reviews. I quit looking at the pro lines because the didn't seen as adjustable I may give them another look.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #94
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooty481 View Post
How long are the xxlong shocks.
My measurements were approx. 4" eye-to-eye fully extended, and 2-7/8" EtE fully compressed. Went halfers on the 4962 8-pack with a buddy. Liking these shocks a lot already and getting the impression they're going to be really easy to tune with diff shock oil wts, spring rates, and piston hole configurations.
RMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlejock27 View Post
Are the kings really stiff? I've heard that from somebody else but I love the looks of them
I dont find them stiff at all, but i've also got my spring tension way loose on them. pretty much to the point that if i turned it out more the spring would bounce around in between the guides. this is my first wraith but i found the performance on these shocks were good. and yes of course they do look cool as ice with those reservoirs
dirtyrigpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #96
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyrigpig View Post
I dont find them stiff at all, but i've also got my spring tension way loose on them. pretty much to the point that if i turned it out more the spring would bounce around in between the guides. this is my first wraith but i found the performance on these shocks were good. and yes of course they do look cool as ice with those reservoirs
How long have you been running King shocks from RC4WD?
If not long you'll soon find out they are very similar to the Exxon Valdez.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
95geo.

Awesome post. I've just about talked myself into the made piggybacks.

I think crawler innovations sales shock valveing kits that looked interesting.

Properly setup piggbacks have awesome reviews. I quit looking at the pro lines because the didn't seen as adjustable I may give them another look.
I have yet to see a small scale shock have any of the features necessary to take advantage of a piggyback reservoir. In the full size world, the reservoir, whether attached with a hose or hard mounted (piggyback, hard mounted allows for higher pressures inside the shock so the flexible hose isn't a point for failure), is designed to create a chamber for nitrogen, this chamber is strictly "air", there is a floating piston, that is effectively a shock piston without holes, which separates the oil from the compressible fluid. This type of shock is ideal because it has the ability to maintain a consistent rate (feel) to the extreme ends of the operating range, think Dakar or B1k.

A shock that mixes the air and oil is an emulsion style shock. This is ok for slow speeds or tight packaging confinements but the performance quickly degrades when compared to a shock with a divided oil/air system. The closest we can get to an ideal shock in the small scale world (that I have seen) is a shock with a bladder that isolates the air chamber from the oil. This is effectively a floating piston on a very small scale. If manufacturers are capable of manufacturing a shock that has a floating piston, adjustable valving and other full scale features, send me a PM if you care to.

That's enough for now....
95geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #98
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean View Post
How long have you been running King shocks from RC4WD?
If not long you'll soon find out they are very similar to the Exxon Valdez.
So you have used them and don't like them?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #99
Rock Stacker

There is a shock kit that mip is making that uses that same technology you are talking about. There is a vid on you tubealso. I saw the link on hobbytalk awhile back. It was in the oval section i think.
1lowta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #100
Rock Stacker

MIP Bypass1 Awesome RC Pistons!!! Eustace Moore Jr. Interview VRC Mag - YouTube
Found it.
1lowta is offline   Reply With Quote

What shocks you running? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what shocks are you running? maRRtin Redcat Crawlers 5 03-02-2012 06:26 PM
Shocks - What has everyone tried or running? NCT_Guy Axial Wraith 13 01-03-2012 03:37 PM
Wraith shocks? What are you running? Mr.Tek Axial Wraith 4 01-03-2012 08:28 AM
What shocks are you running? V3500 Axial SCX-10 21 01-22-2011 03:15 PM
What Shocks you running? LeDevil Tamiya XC/CC01 20 01-17-2010 05:27 PM