Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Hot Racing Links are hot mess!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Hot Racing Links are hot mess!!

So, I'm new to RC and the Wraith is my first.

I bought a link dress up kit from HR (Hot Racing)

Here's my thoughts:

Steering Link: First thing I put on. It actually functions ok. Better than stock. But..... The brass retainers fall out pretty easily. My fix? Spread super glue with a stick to the whole rim, then press back in place. This holds for a few days to a week.

Suspension Links: They look nice and at $63.00, I didn't think I was cheating out.
I tried to install and the geometry was horrible!!! The link ends are at a horrible angle and are aluminum, so they likely can't be bent. In this pic, I'm holding one link straight and you can see where the link wants to go.
Don't even get me started on the uppers.

I tried in threading the ends to get proper angles, but the the links were loose and unstable.

Has anyone had luck with these? Should I try different ends? Revo? Jato?

Diff Covers: these seem to work ok, but they lack the inner lip that the stock plastics have. So I can only assume they don't deal as well to water.

I have ground my pumpkins down on the rocks from weeks of crawling. After putting the new covers on, I was worried about hanging up on the lip. Not a problem, these things are so soft, that within a few hours, they have ground down to match the plastic pumpkin that took weeks.

All in all, I would strongly suggest avoiding this kit. I wish I knew that HR sucked.
Sethmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Hot Racing Links are hot mess!!

should have got the blue monkey links there around the same price and are way better
kakachille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

ill agree the hr link kit isnt the best i have the silver set on mine. what i dont like is the alum is soft an the brass retainers fall out on the links havent had that happen to the sterring yet. an the diff covers yea well dont hit anything with them i did an had to use a punch an tap out the dent as it was rubbin. as for the angles not sure why they wont line up for ya mine did but since i have had the brass retainer prob i used traxxas shock ends on the rear links an gonna do the front the same how ever in the end gonna grab some vp links. oh yea on the sterring link i took the drag link off an connected it to the sterring knuckle wich are also hr they seem pretty good so far.the pivot ball should move enough to allow your links to line up but are at an odd angle in the socket an i think thats why they fail so quickly ill snap a pic an post it when i can http://s1037.beta.photobucket.com/us...08863973656924 link to the pics of my wraith

Last edited by tdevilman2009; 02-02-2013 at 03:15 PM.
tdevilman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I'll try the traxaas ends. I have these parts now and wouldn't feel right selling them to somebody.

The steering link is tough. I've been running it for two weeks, primarily on rocks and it shows. It is rigid, but those brass inserts pop out every four or five trips.
Sethmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

yea my steering link has been good since i used red loctite an mooved the drag link from the sterring rod an connected it to the sterring knuckle next on my list gonna do a shock cap mod an use a good rod end on them the rubber bushin thing ripped on me

Last edited by tdevilman2009; 02-02-2013 at 07:13 PM.
tdevilman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I bought the steering links in black and within 5 min of running it the brass ring popped out and broke in half so I could not put back in
bigred22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Live and learn..

On a Wraith, you need either steel or titanium links and Revo rod ends. Anything less WILL fail you at some point.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:40 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

HR blows, I had the same problem with my steering. I'd recommend STRC products. Not as expensive as Vanquish and the quality is just as good plus you can get the green colors if you want.
ka1fornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:58 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

here is my experience with HR.just bought some wide hubs for wheels,at first look,they where ok,but when i wanted to install them,i couldn't,so i had to work a litle to fit them,but was easy,finally i am happy with product.as far as the link,i always use traxxas rod ends,and axial aluminum pipe of different sizes,and if it's to long i can always cut the aluminum and make inside it a thread to fit the rod ends.also a friend of mine uses the BTA system from HR and it works good,had no issue with it.also using STRC,they have very nice products,never had any problem with them,it's a bolt on,every piece i had and the price is good.Vanquish......hey.....we are talking from another class,altough is a little pricey,but the quality is awesome,u can't go wrong with Vanquish
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #10

Well I sure wished to hell I'd read this 24h ago before ordering the link set. Guess Ill try to beef up the brass insert BEFORE installing somehow.
Little Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:37 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

The HR LINK Kit is the sweetest!!!! lol

Those are the shittest links ever, they are the proper ones if you want to put it up on the shelf and not use the toy.....

Everyone has the same problem with those "upgrade kits", took all that chit off and went with Chaotic Crawlers high clearence links, Ti, Revo 4mm rod ends....way better!
TheAxialNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fella View Post
Well I sure wished to hell I'd read this 24h ago before ordering the link set. Guess Ill try to beef up the brass insert BEFORE installing somehow.

Try to place a cone washer/regular washer into the mix...maybe that will keep the assembly from popping loose, the brass inserts. Once those fall out...bummed.

Good Luck trying to get a hold of HR too, they are a terrible company for service!

HR=Hack Racing
TheAxialNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fella View Post
Don't open them when they come in, sell them and buy the good stuff!
isyeskeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:00 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

For just a little more money you can buy r2j stainless links
throttlejock27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

You can use Loctite bearing retainer(green) on the brass inserts. If you don't have any green Loctite don't bother, just replace as Loctite is more expensive than new parts.
Dualdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #16

Ok so what about cutting the ends clear off, threading the rod, then putting on revos?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #17

Or perhaps soldering the brass in?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Sorry you had a bad experience with HR. I bought an HR steering set for my wraith and it's crap.
My experiences if you want parts that work properly right from the get-go either get Axial upgrades or Vanquish upgrades.
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlejock27 View Post
For just a little more money you can buy r2j stainless links
Agreed! Mine should be here tomorrow. Got the uppers and lowers in 1/4".
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #20

R2J kit ordered from Shon.

Anyone wanna buy a HR set?

Hot Racing Links are hot mess!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Racing Aluminum Steering links?? mcap Axial Wraith 7 01-22-2012 03:48 PM
Totally hot, hot, hot Melons inside! hvydty1 Chit Chat 6 06-03-2009 08:48 PM
hot racing 2.2 ????? LEROY Tires and Wheels 2 11-11-2008 09:30 PM
Hot Racing...? Blood_Clod Tamiya Clod Buster 18 10-11-2007 05:41 PM