Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Servos, what are you running?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Servos, what are you running?

Well I just tried to order a hitech 7950 and rpp is out of them. Damnit
throttlejock27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

some Ballers around here! I've always run whatever cheap thing I can find in all my Nitros. Running a RTR Losi 8ight torque servo now in my Wraith. It does the job.
This is the biggest downfall of having so many cars. Its hard to justify dumping a lot of money into one part instead of dumping a little money into a lot of parts. These damn Wraiths and their aluminum parts are pricey!!!
I have a 7954 in my 8ight Truggy that a friend gave me. I may put that in my XR10 when it gets here this week.
Bansh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

So being a newb to crawling I really never paid attention to the amount of torque that servos were capable of putting out. The other day I was looking at my Axial servo on my wraith and noticed the output shaft itself has some lateral movement in it. I headed down to my local hobby shop and bought a servo recommended by the guy behind the counter....A Savox 1258TG which only has 166 OZ of torque, needless to say this servo while reasonably price is a wimp in the grunt department. I was able to return it because the guy that recommended it felt bad. Since they dont carry the Baller line of servos Hitec I ended up ordering a HS 7955 TG last night online. So now I will have the "right" servo to do the job.

Research Goes A long Way
Pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

Glad I found this thread today since yesterday I blew up my old servo on Chocolate Thunder. after reading this the savox 1258 is looking like it will be in my car shortly. just one question what servo arm works with it?
K.Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

1258 is not a crawler servo on , bit on 7.4 volts its might feel decent. whover recomended it at your lhs should be shot or fired.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #46
Rock Stacker

So, let's say I get this 7950. Do I need to program a Castle BEC or will the 5.1V be sufficient? Also, what about wiring it- is there a specific wiring diagram you would recommend for someone who is new to this stuff and for the RTR wraith? So far, I have wasted about an hour of my life trying to figure this out. If I am going to mess with it- only want to do it once and do it right!!!!!
copenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #47
RCC Addict

You can run it at 5.1, but it wont get you the high torque desired. Spend another $20 on the castle link and you can adjust it to what ever you want.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #48
Rock Stacker

Adjust it to what? See all of this complexity is bringing me back to my original question- what's the biggest servo I can run without messing with my electronics and doing the BEC and all that jazz? You know I don't really have any desire to move boulders with my steering- I just want a good servo that isn't going to wear out from screwing around in the woods and piddling around in a rock pile.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #49
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by copenhagen View Post
So, let's say I get this 7950. Do I need to program a Castle BEC or will the 5.1V be sufficient? Also, what about wiring it- is there a specific wiring diagram you would recommend for someone who is new to this stuff and for the RTR wraith? So far, I have wasted about an hour of my life trying to figure this out. If I am going to mess with it- only want to do it once and do it right!!!!!
Do you have a good local hobby shop? They may be able to program the BEC for you. Also I think if you order from Holmes Hobbies they will program it to your specs before they ship. Other than that, you need a Castle Link to hook it up to a computer to program it.. It will also program the Holmes BRXL esc as well as the Castle line up so if you have any of those controllers or are planning to in the fugure the Castle Link will be well worth having.

The 7950 is a high voltage servo, meant to run off a 2s lipo, so to me that means 7.4v. That's what my BEC is set at.

As for wiring it up, the paperwork that comes with it has a big diagram of how to wire it up. It requires some very simple soldering and you're good to go. If you have more questions a search in the Electronics forum of this website will be very helpful, or post your questions there if you can't find what you need to know.

Good luck.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Check out the wraith beginners guide it talks about all this
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #51
RCC Addict

You will want a powerful servo and a BEC. If you don't have the means to program it find someone that does. I use a BEC on anything 200oz or above. If you don't your servo is likely to cause brown outs. And trust me, a 200oz servo wont do shit in a Wraith. Get the 7950 the BEC ant the programer. Its very easy and if you ever get any Castle electronics in the future you'll already have the means to program them. Just get what we are recommending and if you have an issue we can always help you figure it out.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

I just ordered a 7950, castle bec and the castle link 161.97 bucks from rpp
Old 02-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchman View Post
savox sa1230sg 400oz in both my wraith and xr
x2..........
MADDOGC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

sweet, youl now have axcess to castles awesome esc programming features aswell as bec adjustability. just make sure you unhook the power lead i think its the center on the servo plug coming from the esc since your bec is now powering things.

id like to solder in second deans plug inline on my esc. that way the bec is easily able to unhook for the system for tear downs.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
sweet, youl now have axcess to castles awesome esc programming features aswell as bec adjustability. just make sure you unhook the power lead i think its the center on the servo plug coming from the esc since your bec is now powering things.

id like to solder in second deans plug inline on my esc. that way the bec is easily able to unhook for the system for tear downs.
Yea its the red wire, I'm gonna solder it to the deans plug I already have installed on my esc
Old 02-13-2013, 05:29 AM   #56
Rock Stacker

I'm running the savox 2274sg with a castle bec. The only reason I am running savox is that I have little patience and nobody in my area had the hitec 7950 in stock.

The only thing about my savox I don't like is that it seems to be a little noisy.
hooty481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

i spent some time a few nights ago reading lots of forumns and i found a guy that had the savox 1230 and hitech 7950 and he was saying they both produced about the same amount of noice
Old 02-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #58
RCC Addict

All Digital servos will make noise. It's no big deal, just constantly trying to find center, or the neutral spot. My 7950 makes noise, but it's not all that noticeable most of the time.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

yeah. just seems some down the savox for making and i bet most dont mention there 7950s also make noise
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #60
Rock Stacker

Picked this one up last night at my local hobby shop for a decent price:

JR Radios: Z9100T Digital Ultra-Torque MG Servo

Haven't had a brown out yet and no BEC. Going to run it for awhile first and see if I get one in order to determine rather I need to waste money on a BEC.

Seems to be working pretty darn well so far and no complaints. Looks much sexier than the HiTec servo too..lol... I do want some metal steering links though.

Servos, what are you running? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what servos are yall running ..... fla_cracker Florida 35 01-04-2014 10:40 AM
Ya'll running 35T motors, what pinion are you running? concretejungle Axial XR10 9 03-11-2012 08:18 PM
servos you guys running? axialnut Newbie General 19 02-06-2011 06:51 PM
running 1/4 servos yukon635 Electronics 2 05-23-2006 08:25 PM
Running 2 different servos-Help!! Nicklepimp Electronics 6 05-19-2006 07:26 PM