Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: pros and cons of robinson one peice bottom gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default pros and cons of robinson one peice bottom gear

I stripped my stock bottom gear. Which would be best to replace it. Either the Robinson one peice or the Robinson bolt together gear. Price diftence isn't a hole lot. Just curious what you guys think on it.
I've already installed the Robinson idler.

Thanks
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: pros and cons of robinson one peice bottom gear

The one piece won't let you add the dig unit if you ever decide to.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Depends, do you ever plan on doing a dig unit??? If so go multi piece, if not single piece. One way to look at it is, if it is one piece there is less to go wrong...
crazy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

The one-piece will also NOT let you use the AX10 transmission housing, for instance the nice VP one. I have the one piece and I somewhat regret the decision. I'll probably end up going with the Crawler Innovations setup and have the 1-piece left-over (or for sale)
MetalNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalNut View Post
The one-piece will also NOT let you use the AX10 transmission housing, for instance the nice VP one. I have the one piece and I somewhat regret the decision. I'll probably end up going with the Crawler Innovations setup and have the 1-piece left-over (or for sale)
How much do you want for the one piece?
tcm glx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Oh no!! You can't use the one piece with VP case? I just ordered a VP case!! I wish I would have known!! :(
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys. I'll order the multi piece
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

From what I know, no, you can't use the one-piece with the VP case. Here is what I got from Crawler Innovations:

"The BDW motor plate fits AX/SCX Transmission cases only. The wraith trans is completely different.

If you have the one piece RR wraith locker, it is wraith only.

To use the motor plate, you need;

AX/SCX Trans case - Axial part# AX80009
Rob. Rac. Gear - Part # 1540
CI trans outputs"

So that's what I know. Hope this helps!

And I'm not selling my one-piece just yet, I don't have the other parts yet
Old 02-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Oh I think that is only if you use BWD motor plate?? I have the stock axial plate. I don't see how different the stuff from AX/SCX and Wraith are inside the trans. After all VP sells us the AX/SCX aluminum trans cases for the Wraith. Hmmmmmmm.

Here is BWD motor plate and yes only for AX/SCX but I was told it can work on stock Wraith parts. http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/Bil...ate/Detail.bok
Old 02-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #10

It has nothing to do with the motor plate and everything to do with the rear half of the transmission housing. Wraith has a dig extension built into the housing requiring a longer rear output, AX/SCX case does not, hence very different rear output design. One piece Wraith RR will not work with AX/SCX rear case half

Last edited by BikingViking; 02-12-2013 at 11:19 PM.
BikingViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Right, precisely what BikingViking said. My quote from Crawler Innovations included the motor plate, since that is the part that I bought that didn't fit the Wraith transmission housing. But I got all the other info with it, so I wanted to share it for completeness. Apologies for the confusion!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikingViking View Post
It has nothing to do with the motor plate and everything to do with the rear half of the transmission housing. Wraith has a dig extension built into the housing requiring a longer rear output, AX/SCX case does not, hence very different rear output design. One piece RR will not work with AX/SCX rear case half
All I needed to know!! Now I have a one piece sitting here...I guess I will throw it into the stock plastic housing in my crawler Wraith and just wait for more parts to show up!! VP or Robinson Racing should have mentioned this somewhere!! Sucks buying parts and they don't work together...Luckily I have 2 other Wraiths to load parts up with anyway...hahaha
Old 02-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Okay another question about Robinson Racing gears and the VP trans case? Can I order RRP1552 and use the Wraith stock outputs? Or do I need RRP1540 and the Wraith outputs? I am really confused with the VP case!!

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rrp1552.htm
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rrp1540.htm
Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I first went with the the Robinson Racing Hardened Steel Bottom Diff Gear Wraith but after a few packs with my HV 4.5 motor, it bent the out put shaft, Pic Below, enough to cause my drive shaft to whobble pretty bad. So I ended up buying the RR one piece. Comparing the two, the One piece is Beefy.

MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #15

Well if you are using an AX/SCX case (Vanquish) you could use a one piece AX output, basically all that is interchangeable is top gear and idler gear, the rest is different parts: bottom gear/outputs, rear case half, etc

Robinson Racing Outdrive Diff Lock Gear AX10/SCX10

Last edited by BikingViking; 02-12-2013 at 11:23 PM.
BikingViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Oh I guess I might have to sell my VP case I don't even have in my hands yet!! or maybe just use the front half of the case put the one piece bottom gear and not worry!! I am kind of mad at myself for not having a clue. Now I know. I guess I could also sell the VP case and get the HR Wraith one and use the parts then. I know VP is probably better quality but they don't make a full Wraith trans case!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Live and learn!! Only Money right???????????
Old 02-13-2013, 02:28 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Get the one piece AX10 gear for your VP case, OR go with the RR gear (just the gear) and the Crawler Innovations outputs. If cash is a problem, run the RR one-piece in your Wraith plastic case for now, and then swap that out for the VP case with the needed outputs later. That's what I'm going to do I think.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:52 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Get the one piece AX10 gear for your VP case, OR go with the RR gear (just the gear) and the Crawler Innovations outputs. If cash is a problem, run the RR one-piece in your Wraith plastic case for now, and then swap that out for the VP case with the needed outputs later. That's what I'm going to do I think.
X2. The single piece diff for the AX10 is pretty beefy too. Only thing is this: you'll have to drill holes for your drive shaft retaining screws. That, or you'll need to buy the type that don't go through the differential.

Last edited by TheScaleAddict; 02-13-2013 at 06:34 AM.
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Or sell the VP case (other than being pretty its tolerances weren't worth the money on the 3 I tried to assemble with good gears at Nationals with SuperShafty Rick).

The HotRacing case (they make a wraith specific one) is real nice. Everything fits right too.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Or sell the VP case (other than being pretty its tolerances weren't worth the money on the 3 I tried to assemble with good gears at Nationals with SuperShafty Rick).

The HotRacing case (they make a wraith specific one) is real nice. Everything fits right too.
What happened to them? Mine is built with RR internals and gen 3 slipper, and I haven't had any issues with it. Granted, it's in my SCX10... I too have the one piece Wraith differential. I bought the case after I bought my gears only to find out that it's not Wraith specific. I have, however, petitioned VP to make one specific for the Wraith. Maybe they will... maybe they won't...
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

pros and cons of robinson one peice bottom gear - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pros vs. cons ? scalemudder Axial SCX-10 9 02-02-2013 03:13 PM
pros/cons of 2.2 vs 1.9 tires? jp0160 Axial SCX-10 12 12-13-2012 08:51 AM
Pros and Cons wardal General Crawlers 1 11-21-2011 06:20 PM
Pros and Cons Iberian Newbie General 20 01-13-2010 07:22 PM
Pros and Cons of 50/50 to 60/40 zboarder720 Newbie General 5 05-14-2006 10:13 PM