Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Project Bruce Banner - Featuring the Gamma Ray Beam Blaster 9000!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Project Bruce Banner - Featuring the Gamma Ray Beam Blaster 9000!

After talking with Dr. Banner about his research and experiments with Gamma rays, I decided to pick up a Banner Corp Gamma Ray Beam Blaster Unit 9000 chamber:

I was a little skeptical at first, since it looks like a little cardboard box with sharpie all over it, but it came with a very technical user manual, and a youtube video of how it works. The warning over the door is a little ridiculous though, you'd have to be like 4" tall to fit inside there, and what if you go in? You'll turn into the Hulk or something?

Basically the Beam Blaster 9000 takes ordinary plastic parts and by blasting them with Gamma Rays at extreme pressure and temperature, it changes the plastic into aluminum to make them stronger.

So, I laid out all the parts that were going to go into the chamber:

The timer showed 34:00 so I just let it sit for a bit, and came back to it an hour later... Still on 34:00. Damn thing is broken I think... Unless it means 34 hours... So, I came back to it in a couple days, and opened the Beam Blaster Chamber.

It works! The plastic has been fully converted to aluminum! Only downside is that it leaves them green:

I'm glad it worked though, because I spent a fortune on that damn Blaster chamber, and didn't want a pile of melted plastic to deal with.

I got all the components together on the rig:

I have some ripsaws coming in the mail, and need to finish up getting the electronics mounted, but otherwise, this is pretty close to being ready to go.

I hear Dr. Banner is already working on the replacement to the Banner Corp Gamma Ray Beam Blaster Unit 9000 though. He said something about causing irreparable damage to soft tissue, and the whole green coloring thing, etc. I wonder if the Hulk knows about this Blaster Chamber?

To be continued...
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Project Bruce Banner - Featuring the Gamma Ray Beam Blaster 9000!

lol This is awesome
FattyMcJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Hahaha !!! I can't wait to see what's next.
Pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Great opening to the build, still laughing!
I wouldn't worry too much about the parts coming out green, I like them like that, nice work so far.
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Cool!

TopCad stuff from asiatees?

I almost pulled the trigger on every aluminum Wraith part they offer in gun metal grey color, but I was a bit skeptical so I decided to go another route...

What is your first impressions on overall quality of your GREEN GOODIES?
BodiBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcJ View Post
lol This is awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Hahaha !!! I can't wait to see what's next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabash View Post
Great opening to the build, still laughing!
I wouldn't worry too much about the parts coming out green, I like them like that, nice work so far.
Thanks guys, I wanted to have a little fun with this build. The green was intentional, and the inspiration for the theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodiBuilt View Post
Cool!

TopCad stuff from asiatees?

I almost pulled the trigger on every aluminum Wraith part they offer in gun metal grey color, but I was a bit skeptical so I decided to go another route...

What is your first impressions on overall quality of your GREEN GOODIES?
So far I've liked the topcad stuff, no problems at all. I've got quite abit of stuff from asiatees, and they were running a special on green parts, so I ordered up a bunch of stuff. Machining is great, anodizing is good, although the color doesn't quite match on everything.

I almost bought a set of the aluminum axles too, but was kinda looking at the green stuff and then the deal popped up. I might see if I can find a hulk figure that will fit in the seats... more soon.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Good to hear that you got good service from Asiatees! The first and last order I got from them was incorrectly machined and I had to ship the junk all the way to Hong Kong to get a credit.... Nah.

Awesome intro, loved it!
isyeskeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by isyeskeert View Post
Good to hear that you got good service from Asiatees! The first and last order I got from them was incorrectly machined and I had to ship the junk all the way to Hong Kong to get a credit.... Nah.

Awesome intro, loved it!
I've ordered quite a few things from asiatees.com, and the only thing I've had an issue with was a rear lockout for the SCX10 what just a little too small for the bearing, so I had to sand down the anodizing on the inside of the lockout. Other than that, I've had good luck with everything else. What parts did you order?

I just got off the phone with Dr. Banner, and he is going to be stopping by when the tires show up to help me put them on. I probably won't really even touch this until the tires get here.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I got the tires delivered the other day, so I called up Dr. Banner to have him help mount them on the rims. A few minutes later he showed up:

Wow, he's a lot shorter than I thought he would be. Now I understand why he put that warning on the Gamma Ray Beam Blaster Unit 9000. Also, he's a lot thinner than I expected, and I think he's got an eating problem... Anyway, we looked over the components, and everything looks good except for the beadlock screws:

I asked Dr. Banner if the Beam Blaster could beef up these screws, and he said that the next version of the Blaster would be able to do that, but it's still in testing. Until he finishes that unit, I guess I'll rock these tiny little screws.

We got the tires mounted to the wheels, and started to get those on the vehicle:

The wheels and tires look good. We brought the vehicle out to some different lighting since Dr. Banner's purple pants were throwing off the color.

Eh, maybe his pants are just TOO purple. But don't tell him that, when I mentioned it, he started to get upset, and kept mumbling "don't make me angry... you wouldn't like me when I'm angry..." so I decided to let it go for now.

Checking the width with these wheels:

The steering tie rod is a mock-up to check toe-in, and when I get the next Beam Blaster, I'll throw the tie rod and links in it to replace the plastic links that are on it now.

I wanted to get a close up of the wheel, but Dr. Banner wouldn't get out of the picture with those damn purple pants!

Now we need to get the electronics mounted, and get out on the rocks. Dr. Banner said he'll get to work finishing the prototype of the Gamma Ray Beam Blaster Unit 9001 and I can't wait to get it in to beef up the screws and links.

To be continued...
Old 03-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Looks great man, love those wheels!
FattyMcJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #11
I joined the Band!

I think the steering link looks great with the front bumper. Just my two cents! Great looking rig. I like how u went with the factory paint scheme.
TNCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcJ View Post
Looks great man, love those wheels!
Thanks! I like the wheels too. I was looking at the black ones like this, and then the St. Pattys day sale came up, and started the whole green thing... The screws that come with it suck though, they are M2x6mm Phillips head. When the new beam blaster comes out, I am hoping it beefs them up to Locked-up RC's M2x7mm Scale Hex Bolts for the outside rings, and M2x8mm Socket Cap Hex Bolts for the inside rings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCrawler View Post
I think the steering link looks great with the front bumper. Just my two cents! Great looking rig. I like how u went with the factory paint scheme.
This link was a test in bending the all thread inside the brakeline. This has a lot of toe-out, and the link is pretty far forward from the diff (neither you can tell by the above picture). So, revision two will be much tighter to the diff, and the correct length for toe-neutral or slight toe-in. It will still be the bare brakeline.

I actually like the factory paint scheme, and I figured by now it's actually something different since most people want their own design. Plus it matches the Black/Green/Silver scheme I was going for.

Project Bruce Banner - Featuring the Gamma Ray Beam Blaster 9000! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
desertmaxx i beam(traction beam) trophy truck desertmaxx Non Crawler RC's 3 10-29-2011 11:33 PM
Project "Ghetto Blaster" aychdee Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 04-16-2008 06:55 AM
Project Baja Blaster RC High-Tech General Scale Talk 9 12-10-2006 04:59 PM