Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Fiona (Pic/Tech Heavy)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #41
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Fiona (Pic/Tech Heavy)

What foams do you suggest??
1lowta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowta View Post
What foams do you suggest??
Crawler Innovations Foams. Closed cell inners don't absorb water. Putters don't hold water. So, you can vent if you want to. As far as I know, they are some of the best foams on the market.
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #43
RCC Addict

I'm liking Novak more and more. They have a 'replacement' program. I can trade my burnt motor in for a new one! I only have to pay $58. That's a heck of a lot better than $89!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #44
RCC Addict

I added a couple of minor 'scale' touches.

Some Krawler Konceptz Scalel Plates. Michelle did some great work on these!

I'm really liking the emblems. They are pretty darn legit.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #45
RCC Addict

Here's the grill emblems. I'm not going to put them on until I re-spraythe body. After I put them on, I'll scuff them to get a raw aluminum edge with white centers. It should look pretty good.

I want to sand around the first emblem I installed. There's a bit of residue that I'm not too keen with that I am going to sand off before I re-spray too.

The other side came out perfect though! After the respray, I'll just have to scuff the paint off of the top of the emblems.

Here's a couple of better pictures of the Krawler Konceptz plates.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Awesome truck! Out of curiosity, why did you remove the CMS and panhard?
MRCnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #47
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCnoob View Post
Awesome truck! Out of curiosity, why did you remove the CMS and panhard?
In a word, performance. The two major issues are artuculation, and applicable power to steer. Articulation is smoother with a standard 4-link. While I haven't tried all of the CMS/Panhard kits, I wasn't terribly impressed with the Level3 Kit I used. As for servo strength, I would compare this to a 1:1 Horse Power rating. If a motor produces 500bhp at the flywheel, it may only apply 450 of that 500bph to the ground. Similarly, steering servos lose power from the servo's gear to the steering arm. My HS-7950TH produces 486 OZ/IN / 0.13 SEC at the gear. The more hardware that there is in the steering system, the more those numbers are diminished.

Fiona is pretty heavy, weighing in at nearly 10lbs. While I love the scale appearance of the CMS, I prefer the performance of the axle mounted servo. I figure that I have more fun driving it than I do looking at it.

I wouldn't 'steer' anyone away from a CMS/Panhard, it's just not something I am interested in.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the insight.
MRCnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCnoob View Post
Thanks for the insight.
You are most welcome.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #50

Cephas, here is a link to a flat black 1:1 EB that competed in KOH this year. The company that designed supplied the suspension is from GC, CO - Battlement Fabrication. There are some pretty cool pix and some short vid I thought you might get a kick out of!

They made a great run but had a driveline issue on the rear that caused a DNF...

EB as KOH stocker - Page 15 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
FlogginHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #51
RCC Addict

That's a sweet rig!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #52
Rock Stacker

I noticed you switched shocks a few times through out the pictures, what are/did you run and why did you switch it up? that is of course if you dont mind
K.Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

things sick and cant go wrong with rhd lol
kakachille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Hess View Post
I noticed you switched shocks a few times through out the pictures, what are/did you run and why did you switch it up? that is of course if you dont mind
I'll answer this tomorrow. Been a loooonng day. Fiona took a violent cartwheeling tumble 20ft down a hill climb today. Luckily, I only broke a rod end. It was an awesome sight to see!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #55
RCC Addict

I can only recall three sets of shocks, including the current set. The first was the stock set. I upgraded to the gMade 103mm Piggyback shocks. They were really nice, but they wouldn't allow for the combination of travel and ground clearance I was attempting to achieve. I wanted to be able to flex at least to the height of the tires. I could t manage that with my set up and the 103mm's. Sooooo... I found a set of 124mm gMade shocks used on eBay. They have t made them in a while, but they can be rebuilt using the newer components. With the 124mm's, I have plenty of travel, as well as ample ground clearance. The rocks out here are too big to go too low. Totally subjective reasons all around. I really like the 124mm shocks with the BGR towers. For me, it's the perfect combination.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #56
RCC Addict

MTHead Derlin Beadlock Rings came in today. They are way cooler than I thought they'd be, and I expected them to be cool... The good news, MTHead now has Motoworx Racing Patterns!

The other 2.2 is for my Wrangler Wroncho build. The non mounted ring is a 1.9 for my scale JK.

Last edited by TheScaleAddict; 05-08-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Rebuilt the shocks. Changed the stance a bit. I installed all of the MTHead Bead Lock Rings. I'm liking them.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #58
Quarry Creeper

definitely one of my favorite wraiths on here! nice to see its not a shelf queen either!

one question...in the first page i noticed the steering setup was unlike anything ive seen,it looks as though ya had two seperate rods going to servo?

howd that work out? i like it cus it seems like steering is up a little higher out of harms way but was wondering how much stress it put on servo horn ?
87yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87yota View Post
definitely one of my favorite wraiths on here! nice to see its not a shelf queen either!

one question...in the first page i noticed the steering setup was unlike anything ive seen,it looks as though ya had two seperate rods going to servo?

howd that work out? i like it cus it seems like steering is up a little higher out of harms way but was wondering how much stress it put on servo horn ?
Thanks. I was just experimenting with that set up. That servo horn is a beast. It handled it just fine. However, if the servo isn't perfectly centered, the wheels don't turn the same (one side turns more than the other). I'm back to a 'regular' steering linkage set up.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

I agree, Fiona is a sweet rig. After i get mine built i'll come crawl with ya again. Havent had much time to work on mine since im on days. Ive got 3 rig and there are all down. LOL.

J.
06ToasterBox is offline   Reply With Quote