Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Fiona (Pic/Tech Heavy)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #161
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephas View Post
Thanks y'all. All moved in to the new casa, still have a ton of unpacking to do yet. Moving sucks. But the new house is great. It's in a nice, quiet, and mature neighborhood.
No more gangsta park? Lol. Im headed to Fort Collins tomorrow.
J.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
06ToasterBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #162
RCC Addict

Default Re: Fiona (Pic/Tech Heavy)

Well, I broke Fiona down (completely) and began a rebuild. I did so following some issues with my front axle. I didn't need to break her down completely, but I felt like giving her a complete work over. After all... I am pretty hard on the old girl. I say that to preempt this next bit. The nuclear cow tempted her into heading out to a comp. That left me with one day to COMPLETELY rebuild her before the comp. I managed to get it done, but the front axle was still sketchy. I needed to rebuild my VVD's, but the parts hadn't come in. I threw in some Axial CVD's instead. They didn't last long. Not long at all..... I finished two of the five courses in three wheel drive! I didn't bother trying the remaining three, since I was down to two wheel drive (rear posi) by the end of the second course. Even that was sketchy, because at full cut (turning radius), the fronts would lock up. If there had been a competition for 'best donuts', Fiona would have smoked everyone! It was definitely one of those anything that can go wrong will go wrong days. Still, I had a great time. I'll get pictures up of Fiona (post make over) soon. I did a lot of work to her, including (but not limited to) remaching the wheels, adding windshield and windshield wiper, etc.

Following the comp, I ordered a 'back-up' set of VVD's, and I cleaned VP out of their stub shafts. I also ordered VP's tranny case, and their three position dig. I'll never go to 4-wheel steering on Fiona, and since I can compete with either one or the other, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have the dig. The ole girl didn't fair well this weekend, but she'll be back with a vengeance.

(edit) I also picked up some more scale hardware from Locked-Up RC, along with a new overdrive gear (going to go back to over/under drive), some tow straps (my son absconded with all of my straps prior to the comp), and some 'super duty' synthetic winch line for my winch (which I didn't have time to install before the comp either), and some new d-rings.

Last edited by TheScaleAddict; 07-29-2013 at 07:44 AM.
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #163
Rock Crawler

May have to come down and take a look.

Sent from the oil field.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #164
RCC Addict

More... ordered up RR 32P Slipper and Pinion (I got a 16t and a 21t for multiple applications). I also ordered the SS 'Beefy Top Tube'. As if it weren't beefy enough. LOL
Old 07-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #165
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06ToasterBox View Post
May have to come down and take a look.

Sent from the oil field.
You're always welcome. I can't wait to get her up and running again. I owe the Nuclear Cow a good trail run.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #166
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephas View Post
You're always welcome. I can't wait to get her up and running again. I owe the Nuclear Cow a good trail run.
Thanks. I'll be staying in Greeley tonight or tomorrow for the rest of my time in CO. I'll head home Aug 14-15. Hopefully we can get a day of crawling done.
J.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #167
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06ToasterBox View Post
Thanks. I'll be staying in Greeley tonight or tomorrow for the rest of my time in CO. I'll head home Aug 14-15. Hopefully we can get a day of crawling done.
J.

For sure!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #168
RCC Addict

As promised.

You can see the ramachining here.

Check out the scale, scale crawler...

Old 07-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #169
Quarry Creeper

That's one badass rig for sure
otis683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #170
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis683 View Post
That's one badass rig for sure
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #171
Quarry Creeper

Dose the bgr front bumper have to have the spacers in it or can it sit closer to the front?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #172
RCC Addict

Quote:
Dose the bgr front bumper have to have the spacers in it or can it sit closer to the front?
I suppose you could shorten them equally to draw it into the body, though it wouldn't be as functional in preventing end over rolls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #173
Quarry Creeper

That's true. I just not sure if I dig how far out it is. But I want one to match my sliders
Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #174
RCC Addict

Mounted up one of my new SLW Motoworx Racing wheels. Looks REALLY good!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #175
Quarry Creeper

I like those bead locks on your old wheels. Have you tested the iroks yet?
Old 07-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #176
RCC Addict

Quote:
I like those bead locks on your old wheels. Have you tested the iroks yet?
Not yet. Still waiting on USPS to bring me presents.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:52 PM   #177
Rock Crawler

Awesome set up. Even better in person. Didn't wanna leave. Lol love the collection u have

J.

Sent from BFE.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #178
Pebble Pounder

It was great to see you and your daughter this past Sunday. Its been too long. I didn't mean to tempt your tummy w/ the taste of nuts and honey before Fiona was ready. I have run Axial universals up front for 6 months w/o a failure...I highly recommend them. I also recommend the RC4WD 2.2 IROKs. They are spot on in performance with the Pitbulls. I think Pitbulls are better in the wet and IROKs are better when it is loose...they are equal on the rocks...both are great choices. Updates for the "Nuclear Cow Wraith" are Blue Monkey RC trailing arms for the rear and a servo winch. Then I will cut down the "stand offs" for the BGR front bumper and bring it in closer to the body and install a flairhead. Here is the only pic I got from the comp on Sunday...too busy drivin'. BTW, I took 2nd in the Scale Comp on Sunday...only the owner of The Crawl Space beat me.
ski29mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #179
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski29mike View Post
It was great to see you and your daughter this past Sunday. Its been too long. I didn't mean to tempt your tummy w/ the taste of nuts and honey before Fiona was ready. I have run Axial universals up front for 6 months w/o a failure...I highly recommend them. I also recommend the RC4WD 2.2 IROKs. They are spot on in performance with the Pitbulls. I think Pitbulls are better in the wet and IROKs are better when it is loose...they are equal on the rocks...both are great choices. Updates for the "Nuclear Cow Wraith" are Blue Monkey RC trailing arms for the rear and a servo winch. Then I will cut down the "stand offs" for the BGR front bumper and bring it in closer to the body and install a flairhead. Here is the only pic I got from the comp on Sunday...too busy drivin'. BTW, I took 2nd in the Scale Comp on Sunday...only the owner of The Crawl Space beat me.
Nice work On the comp Mike. I just wish I would have been ready to rock. I've shredded so many CVD's. they're just too short. I've shredded them in VP lockers, GCM lockers, grip Fab lockers... The tangs just are t long enough to get a good bite. I'm still waiting on my VVD parts. The sooner I get them, the better. I ordered an extra set so that I'll have a back up. I'm thinking I'm going to recycle the long side CVD's for some SCX10 axles. No sense in taking a total loss on them. We'll have to hit up a good spot of wheeling once Fiona is back together. I should have parts this week. Maybe a Saturday run is in order??? I know Jeremy (ToasterBox) is itching to get out there.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:32 PM   #180
Pebble Pounder

Cephas...let me know...I would love to do a trail run w/ you. I am seriously thinking about getting some Grip Fab lockers...what do you think?
ski29mike is offline   Reply With Quote