Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Fiona (Pic/Tech Heavy)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Fiona (Pic/Tech Heavy)

With the original build thread gone I'm missing sharing with y'all everything that I'm doing with Fiona. So, this isn't really a build thread. It's just a thread chronicling where she is now and what I'm doing with her from day to day. Aside from the parts list, nothing I'm posting here will be on my blog. I'll keep it pretty informal.

Build Specs: (alphabetical order by vendor)
  • Axial
    • Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set (43T/13T) Front and Rear
    • Heavy Duty Clamping Steering Servo Horn
  • BGR Fabrications
    • Stinger Bumper
    • KOH Sport Cate
    • Shock Towers (F/R)
    • Sliders
  • Billet Works Design
    • FOFF Motor Plate
  • Blue Monkey RC
    • Ti Upper and Lower Linkage (Traxxas Jato/Revo Rod Ends)
    • Ti Steering Linkage (Traxxas Revo Rod Ends)
  • Carter Fabrication
    • Rear Tray
    • Half Roof
  • Castle Creations
    • BEC
    • Mamba Max Pro Sensored Electronic Speed Controller
  • Crawl Space
    • Front Electronics Box/Tray
  • Dynamic Concepts EB Bronco Body
  • gMade
    • 123mm Diaphragm Shocks
  • GCM Racing
    • AR60 Metal Head Axle Housings
    • Last Lockers
  • Hitech
    • HS-7950TH Digital Ultra Torque HV Coreless Titanium Gear, Dual BB (486 OZ/IN / 0.13 SEC)
  • Motowork Racing
    • 2.2 8 Spoke Limited Edition Beadlock Wheels (x5)
  • Novak Electronics
    • Ballistic Crawler Brushless Motor 18.5 (timing set to 15)
  • Pit Bull
    • 2.2 Rock Beast II Tires (x5)
  • RC4WD
    • Poison Spyder Differential Covers
    • Rear Centered HD Axle Shafts
  • RCBros
    • Windshield
  • Robinson Racing
    • High Performance GEN3 Slipper Unit 88t/20t
    • Hardened Steel Idler Gear
    • One Piece Hardened Steel Outdrive/Differential Locker Gear
  • Spektrum
    • DX4S
  • Vanquish Products
    • cHubs
    • Knuckles
    • Heavy Duty VVD Axles

Last edited by TheScaleAddict; 04-23-2013 at 12:58 PM.
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Fiona

I took Fiona out to the 'Devils Backbone' trail in Loveland Colorado this past Sunday (03.14.2013). I found out the hard way that the brass bearings I'm using for the pinion may actually wear out faster than a bearing. They're sneaky about wearing out. With the bearing, it's an immediate and catastrophic failure. With the brass bushings, it's a gradual wallowing out that kills you. As a result, I shredded a brand new Axial Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set (36T/14T) in the front axle. I'm thinking of having some stainless steel bushings produced... Not necessarily to sell, but just for me to use. I'm thinking that if I maintain the lube post to every run, that both the bushing and the pinion shaft would be safe. Granted, neither would last forever, but I might be able to milk more time out of both that way. We'll see.

In addition to the Bushing and Bevel Gear failure, the screws in my Axial Heavy Duty Clamping Steering Servo Horn vibrated loose (and out in one case - 1 of 3). I could have swore I used locktite on them, but that was not the case. I tightened them up, but that got me thinking.... I think I am going to create a 'pre flight inspection' list of sorts. Something to go over after each run when I am cleaning and maintaining my rigs, and to go over quickly before a run. That way nothing gets overlooked. I'd rather pay attention to everything than to inadvertently neglect something that I thought was 'good to go'.

I thought Buggy Nut recorded Fiona for a bit, but I ended up with bag footage. Oops... lol Oh well. Still, here's Buggy Nut getting busy for the first time on AR60's.

Last edited by TheScaleAddict; 04-15-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I just took measurements... The inner diameter of the internal brass pinion bushing was worn to 5.25mm, and the inner diameter of the external brass pinion bushing was worn to 5.05mm. Pinion shafts are 4.90mm in diameter. A new brass bushing has an internal diameter of 4.97mm, while a new Fast Eddy replacement bearing has an internal diameter of 4.95mm. That being said, there should be a 0.05mm 'tolerance' between the pinion shaft and pinion bearings and/or bushings. Traveling internal to external, the tolerance was 0.35. to 0.15mm. That may not sound like much, but it allowed for substantial movement. So much so that it allowed the pinion shaft to move enough to allow the pinion gear to skip over the ring gear. I think it's safe to assume that the skipping only served to wallow the bushings out further. That being said, the point of failure is lower than what I measured. Once the 'skipping' begins, the gears will begin to sheer. I noticed the issue and resolved it right away. Still, if it skips and sheers at all, the gears are compromised, and should be replaced.

So... lesson learned. Right? Post to any major trail run, pull the pinion bushings and measure the inner diameter. If the tolerance is more than 0.85, replace the bushing. That should be well within a safe tolerance to run. To figure the tolerance, subtract the internal diameter from the pinion shaft diameter. Which brings up another point. If you are going to use bushings, whether polymer, brass, or steel, be sure to monitor the diameter of the pinion shaft. If it is hardened steel, the other materials should wear faster, but the shaft itself will still be prone to wear over time. To increase the life of the pinion shafts, be sure to clean and grease them after every run. Dust mixed with grease will increase the viscosity of the grease and increase the heat/friction at the point of the bushing and the pinion shaft, there by decreasing the overall life of the pinion shaft.

I've decided to go ahead and produce some stainless steel bushings, which I will likely sell on my website. I'll wait to finalize that decision until I get a price on the production run. If the cost is acceptable, I'll try running them and see how they wear, see how the pinion shafts wear with them, etc. If all of that is good, I'll offer them up for sale. Stay tuned.

Last edited by TheScaleAddict; 04-15-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I shot an email off to Bill (BGR Fabrication) today. I've talked with him a couple of times about doing frame rails. His work is so awesome. I hope he has time to work on the rails, and that he's willing to do it. I'd like to have all of the stock frame pieces replaced with Bills versions.

So, here's what I am requesting from him for now:
This would consist of four pieces: Frame Rail (x2 & Extended to Eliminate Spacers for BGR Fabrication Stinger Bumper), Battery Brace, & Rear Frame Brace (sans vertical bars and upper horizontal bar)

And here is what I am requesting from him for later (one major request at a time, right???):
This would consist of three pieces: Frame Rail (x2), Front Frame Brace (sans thinner stock drop bar)
Pink Dots: Frame 'Webs'
Red Dots: Body Fastener Tabs (M2)

Lastly, I've requested that he produce a single unit that would replace the forward electronics tray and the upper bumper mounts. The bumper mounts would also be extended, which would eliminate the need for the spacers used with the BGR Fabrication Stinger Bumper. No picture of this, since it doesn't exist, but you can imagine what it would look like.

He may not have time or desire to do these parts, but I'm hoping that isn't the case. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would want them!!!

Here's a few pics of Fiona with her dress off. I needed to take it off to paint now that I have it dialed in correctly and have the hinged hood working as I had planned. So there is no better time to snap some pictures of my BGR Fabrication upgrades.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Talked with Bill for a spell. He's pretty slammed right now, but he sounded like be was up for the work once things ease up for him. Hopefully that will be sooner than later; more for his sake than for my 'requests'.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I got a couple of the stainless steel bushings back today. The process used to manufacturer them isn't going to work out. The water jet leaves a taper that produces what I consider to be an unacceptable tolerance. To makes matters worse, the production cost would have been about two dollars per bushing.

So... I'm researching some other manufacturing processes. I'd pay two dollars a piece if there were no taper and the tolerances were less than a new Traxxas brass bushing.

Last edited by TheScaleAddict; 04-16-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Fiona (Pic/Tech Heavy)

The aluminum rails would be sick! I had been wondering why they aren't out.
isyeskeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by isyeskeert View Post
The aluminum rails would be sick! I had been wondering why they aren't out.
Time mostly. If only we all had more of it.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I painted the Dynamic Concepts EB Bronco Body (I know, I know, that's a bit repetitive...) Last Night. I painted the exterior rather than the interior of the body so that I could have a true matte black. I have to say, the DC EB Bronco Body is the nicest body that Fiona's had thus far. The lexan feels thicker/stronger than the Proline Wraith EB Bronco Panels. There's a good reason for that though.

Lexan Guage (in mm)
Proline: 0.67mm
Dynamic Concepts: 1.11mm

I'm not really into Outkast, but after taking the pictures, I started humming "so fresh and so clean" to myself. DC's got a new number one fan... me.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
RCC Addict

One with the lights:
Old 04-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

This is one bad ass Wraith. Im a big fan of Ford Broncos. Please post more pictures in the near future.
MexicanMarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366248174.635288.jpg
Views: 12411
Size:  69.0 KB

Here's one with the Proline body.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366248248.783083.jpg
Views: 5300
Size:  48.1 KB

Here's a render of the original build.

And a really old one...

Last edited by TheScaleAddict; 04-17-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Without a doubt this is one of the best looking rigs on RCCrawler!
MexicanMarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I'm going to fab some door handles for it, and a gas cap. My Krawler Konceptz plates are in the mail, as are some scale Ford and Bronco emblems.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanMarauder View Post
Without a doubt this is one of the best looking rigs on RCCrawler!
Thanks!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephas View Post

I painted the Dynamic Concepts EB Bronco Body (I know, I know, that's a bit repetitive...) Last Night. I painted the exterior rather than the interior of the body so that I could have a true matte black. I have to say, the DC EB Bronco Body is the nicest body that Fiona's had thus far. The lexan feels thicker/stronger than the Proline Wraith EB Bronco Panels. There's a good reason for that though.

Lexan Guage (in mm)
Proline: 0.67mm
Dynamic Concepts: 1.11mm

I'm not really into Outkast, but after taking the pictures, I started humming "so fresh and so clean" to myself. DC's got a new number one fan... me.

The pros to manufacturing a body panel set are the options for better detail, especially undercuts, as well as thicker side panels.

The cons are there is more trimming for the consumer, as well as more design and machining time compared to a one-piece shell.
Dynamic Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic Concepts View Post
The pros to manufacturing a body panel set are the options for better detail, especially undercuts, as well as thicker side panels.

The cons are there is more trimming for the consumer, as well as more design and machining time compared to a one-piece shell.
True. It is more work. But as anyone can see, the end result is well worth the effort. You did a great job on the bodies Kurt. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I almost forgot... I'm planning a custom interior too. I'm thinking that I will fabricate it from aluminum. It should look pretty slick. Same deal with inner fenders. I just need to find the time.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #19

Well...here it is right under my nose!;) cool wraith and great EB! Keeping a close eye...

Trey
FlogginHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Hey Cephas, I just got my new Moto Worx 2.2's. Sick.
ski29mike is offline   Reply With Quote