Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: AR60 Pinion Bushings vs Bearings vs Bushings Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #181
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Default Re: AR60 Pinion Bushings vs Bearings vs Bushings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Joel,

yeah, same here. When I pulled out the stock bearing the other night, it was still in good shape. Not as smooth as a brand new bearing, but I wouldnt hesitate to put it back in there (in fact, I kept it to reuse ).
I did the exact same thing. I'm still amazed at how damn tough the rig is. I still haven't serviced the transmission once!
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #182
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaldidDog View Post
I did the exact same thing. I'm still amazed at how damn tough the rig is. I still haven't serviced the transmission once!
I would open that tranny. My tranny bearings died a long time ago.
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #183
I wanna be Dave

Been looking into wraith axles some and came across this thread. If a guy was so inclined could a 5x13x5 angular contact be shoe horned into the case?

http://cad.sbn.de/ArticleDetails.asp...7105+MSS+2Z+VA
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #184
Quarry Creeper

There's enough meat in the case to machine the inner bearing seat for a 5x13. Not the outer though.
65BAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #185
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65BAJA View Post
There's enough meat in the case to machine the inner bearing seat for a 5x13. Not the outer though.
The inner is the only one that sees a thrust load.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #186
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65BAJA View Post
I'd be more worried about the width of that bearing. But if anyone can do it, RobB can!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #187
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'd be more worried about the width of that bearing. But if anyone can do it, RobB can!
A little machine work on the pinion would take care that.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #188
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
A little machine work on the pinion would take care that.
Can I accomplish that with my dremmel?

Old 08-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #189
I wanna be Dave

The thrust bearing held up great yesterday.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #190
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Joel,

yeah, same here. When I pulled out the stock bearing the other night, it was still in good shape. Not as smooth as a brand new bearing, but I wouldnt hesitate to put it back in there (in fact, I kept it to reuse ).
after taking mine apart and finding the bearings were fine, I said screw the bushings. BIG MISTAKE. the power my pro 4 3300 was pushing, the inner bearing blew out causing the pinion and ring gear to grind together. since that happened, I had to buy a new gear set and some traxxas bushing. the bushings are cheap. I just plan on checking to see if the bushings are wearing out. I,d rather them wear out instead of blow out.
GABESPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #191
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleming.g View Post
after taking mine apart and finding the bearings were fine, I said screw the bushings. BIG MISTAKE. the power my pro 4 3300 was pushing, the inner bearing blew out causing the pinion and ring gear to grind together. since that happened, I had to buy a new gear set and some traxxas bushing. the bushings are cheap. I just plan on checking to see if the bushings are wearing out. I,d rather them wear out instead of blow out.
Bushings might wear out slower, but that wont stop the R&P from being damaged when that happens.

Either way, the next time your bushing wears out, try one of these:
5x11 Bearing 5x11x4.5 Thrust Bearing Bearing F5-11M
Old 08-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #192
Quarry Creeper

I am not going to let the bushings wear all the way out, which will save my r&p. But I will definitely try the thrust bearing. Thanks
GABESPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #193
Quarry Creeper

I'm still a newbie but I come with a background in drag racing and vintage road racing along with heavy equipment and truck experience.
I think part of the problem exists because the stock plastic housings don't have enough support. One example is in a drag car the tires try to drive around the housing. Causing the housing to become c shaped when that happens it opens the lash between the pinion and ring gear and if its bad enough it will destroy the r&p. To combat this you need to brace the housing which is usually in the form of a back brace. If you look at a wraith housing there isn't much in the way of bracing to keep area between the link mounts from moving front to rear. I'm not a huge fan of helical cut gears because they induce thrust when power is applied along with linear loads. In the case of a ring and pinion the pinion tries to crawl up or down on the ring gear add in the helical cut hd r&p from axial now your trying to shove the pinion out of the front of the housing. So now you have another force invloved. Even if you install beef tubes in the axle housing that does not help support the center section where the r&p is. I guess what I'm getting at is you can't just focus on the bearings themselve although they still need attention the whole axel assembly needs to be adressed for the forces that are applied to them.
fish-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #194
20K Club

Tore into my axles today finally after the G6 a couple weeks ago. My bushing are still rock solid, the only noticeable wear I can see is on the out part of the outer bushing where my MIP hub has been rubbing.

I have lost count of how much run time they have on them. Still not sure what the cause of the other guys having their's seize up is.

At this point without seeing a housing redesign for different bearings I don't see a better alternative.

Uploading pictures now.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #195
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish-hunter View Post
I'm still a newbie but I come with a background in drag racing and vintage road racing along with heavy equipment and truck experience.
I think part of the problem exists because the stock plastic housings don't have enough support. One example is in a drag car the tires try to drive around the housing. Causing the housing to become c shaped when that happens it opens the lash between the pinion and ring gear and if its bad enough it will destroy the r&p. To combat this you need to brace the housing which is usually in the form of a back brace. If you look at a wraith housing there isn't much in the way of bracing to keep area between the link mounts from moving front to rear. I'm not a huge fan of helical cut gears because they induce thrust when power is applied along with linear loads. In the case of a ring and pinion the pinion tries to crawl up or down on the ring gear add in the helical cut hd r&p from axial now your trying to shove the pinion out of the front of the housing. So now you have another force invloved. Even if you install beef tubes in the axle housing that does not help support the center section where the r&p is. I guess what I'm getting at is you can't just focus on the bearings themselve although they still need attention the whole axel assembly needs to be adressed for the forces that are applied to them.

That a great post and good info.

I also agree that plastic housing can definitely cause failure. Like I have said before, once the stock housings give once they need to be replaced. They weaken over time and will deflect easier and easier each time.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #196
20K Club

Here is the only noticeable wear I can see.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #197
RCC Addict

I'm currently setup with plastic housings because my pockets are not deep enough for the metal goodies, but I think the dinky servo mount can combat some of the axle house flexing. I'm running one front and rear. I'm not running rear stear, but have the mount anyways because it ties in both tube sides and a screw in the pumpkin. Metal housings are probably best, but for budget I think the dinky mount can prolong the life of a plastic housing.
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #198
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
I'm currently setup with plastic housings because my pockets are not deep enough for the metal goodies, but I think the dinky servo mount can combat some of the axle house flexing. I'm running one front and rear. I'm not running rear stear, but have the mount anyways because it ties in both tube sides and a screw in the pumpkin. Metal housings are probably best, but for budget I think the dinky mount can prolong the life of a plastic housing.
It issue isn't that part of the housing. It is the force between where the pinion enters the housing and the diff gear centerline.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #199
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
It issue isn't that part of the housing. It is the force between where the pinion enters the housing and the diff gear centerline.
Someone needs to come out with a housing that has a load bolt.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #200
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
Someone needs to come out with a housing that has a load bolt.
That would be a pretty cool idea, even if just for that extra touch

See those two flat spots? Wonder how they line up...

Last edited by Harley; 08-04-2013 at 02:40 PM.

AR60 Pinion Bushings vs Bearings vs Bushings Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bearings vs. Bushings Lentsnh2012 Axial Wraith 47 11-23-2013 09:55 AM
Bushings>Bearings sundayface Axial SCX-10 7 02-29-2012 09:40 AM
bearings or bushings ??? 48machinerulz Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 03-31-2007 02:28 PM