Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: AR60 Pinion Bushings vs Bearings vs Bushings Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #201
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: AR60 Pinion Bushings vs Bearings vs Bushings Thread

After looking at my wraith housings for a bit. If I could get my hands on a steel diff cover i think I have figured out how to brace the housing that won't break the bank. Hhhhhmmmmm anyone know of a steel diff cover for a wraith housing.
fish-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #202
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish-hunter View Post
After looking at my wraith housings for a bit. If I could get my hands on a steel diff cover i think I have figured out how to brace the housing that won't break the bank. Hhhhhmmmmm anyone know of a steel diff cover for a wraith housing.
I'm not aware of one.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #203
Quarry Creeper

I could do it out of aluminum too its just that most diff covers are made of subpar materials and make it a pain to weld on. I could do it with a vp cover but if it doesn't work I'm out of the cost of a diff cover. Unless someone has a used vp cover they wanna sell. I can make them to fit the front axle as well the only problem is the need for high steer knuckles. Maybe ill buy a pair of vp covers build the back braces. The rear axle would attach at either the link mount screws or the lock outs. And the front would go to the link mount screws. Both the front and rear would be attached to the diff cover. It would be a complete bolt on deal with no fab work required to install. This would tie both sides of the housing together and cover the area the beef tubes don't. For the guys with beef tubes already I think this would make the plastic housing almost bullet proof. Hhhhhhhmmmmmmn I guess ill order a set of covers this week. I have a poison spider wraith coming and this would be a perfect time to build something. Time to fire the tig welder up.
fish-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #204
I wanna be Dave

I am in the club now!

Rigs been sitting broken since ECC, pulled it out to get it ready for the G6 at nats and found this in the rear.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  52.7 KB
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #205
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
I am in the club now!

Rigs been sitting broken since ECC, pulled it out to get it ready for the G6 at nats and found this in the rear.

Attachment 249201
You aren't that cool, it was the guy before you that broke it.

Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #206
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
You aren't that cool, it was the guy before you that broke it.

Nah worked fine when I got it, the day after this rig broke the pulling sled at ECC it broke, I have been to lazy to fawk with it till now. I am sure krawl did his share of the damage though.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #207
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Bushings might wear out slower, but that wont stop the R&P from being damaged when that happens.

Either way, the next time your bushing wears out, try one of these:
5x11 Bearing 5x11x4.5 Thrust Bearing Bearing F5-11M
How is your thrust bearing holding up?
Diablo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #208
I wanna be Dave

I have been running my traxxas bushings on the rear axle since April. No failure yet and not any noticable wear.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #209
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo666 View Post
How is your thrust bearing holding up?
Good so far.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #210

curious if this issue is happening more with overdrive gears and up front. seems to make sense that the more overdriven the gear is the more it would tax the bearings.

i lunched 2 sets of front pinion bearings and overdrive gears this past weekend at the rc4wd ecsc event. i havent opened up the axles since the second fail, but the first showed a worn out but not destroyed inner pinion bearing but a split ring gear/diff bearing. i think i got to it before the inner pinion bearing had the chance.

its obvious the second fail is more inner pinion bearing related since i can move it in and out of the axle waaaay too much.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #211
I wanna be Dave

I run an OD/UD setup in my wraith.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #212

this pic is from the last course of a ttc, no winch, no hand of god, no reposition... (casual running or even a scale comp with reposition i wouldnt have tried to power through the tires binding.) there's maybe 8 minutes on this set of gears and bearings. shimmed nicely. when it went out, it just went. there wasnt any clicking or anything, just boom and wheeeeeee!!!

2 days before the ttc there was a c3 comp, by the end of that the bearings had loosened up enough to let the pinion act like a 1-way diff up front. it would grab gear going fwd, but ratchet in reverse. i had maybe 20 minutes runtime on that set. and with that set, one of the diff bearings had split...

the powdery stuff inside the case is from the pinion digging into the gcm housing after the bearing failed. the gears themselve actually look good.

gonna slap some old tamiya bushings in it and hopefully that fixes it.

edit -

heres the split locker bearing from 2 days before

Last edited by badhoopty; 08-29-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #213
I wanna be Dave

Nice work!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Nice work!
i never had a problem with my 'stock' cheater wraith. ive ran that thing since the rtrs first came out. granted i never treated it like i did the scaleready wraith at the rc4wd ecsc...

i swapped in some tlt bushings. havent got the rig back together yet but the pinions feel WAY more secure and solid.

i'd like to try out that thrust bearing if these bushings wear out too fast for my liking.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #215
Quarry Creeper

Any updates on VP bushings? JeremyH are you thrust bearings still holding strong? This thread needed a bump as well.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #216
RCC Addict

I've been running the piss out of mine for a couple months with no wear. It is a great upgrade and you can get a pack of 14 for Tue same cost as 2 bearings. I am using them in place of my outer knuckle bearings as well. Takes away a lot of the slop.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #217
Quarry Creeper

I'm running bushings and they are getting loose with a little slop. Crawlernut what are you running bushings or thrust bearing?
Old 10-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #218
Rock Crawler

I have a thought about why this happens, I think its because of the HD gear itself. The way the gears are cut at an angle, the pinion wants to climb up the ring gear. With the stock gears being cut straight it isn't that bad with pinion climb. I never really had much problem with bearings til I switched to the HD gear set.
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #219
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatefulboy View Post
I have a thought about why this happens, I think its because of the HD gear itself. The way the gears are cut at an angle, the pinion wants to climb up the ring gear. With the stock gears being cut straight it isn't that bad with pinion climb. I never really had much problem with bearings til I switched to the HD gear set.
From experience with 1:1 9" diffs in drag cars, funnily enough I think your right to about the HD gears but not quite the reason as you explained.
The pinion climbing the ring is worse with the straight cut gear, but that would be ok with the bearing because a ball bearing can handle high radial (pushing outwards) loads, what it can't handle is high axial (parallel to the shaft/thrust) loads, which is what you get with a helical cut gear such as the HD ring & pinion sets (the pinion is either being pulled in or pushed out by the angled cut of the teeth)
Ideally to fix this you need angular contact ball or tapered roller bearings on the pinion shaft, but it appears none exist small enough for this application, hence bushings, they can take all the thrust you can throw at them, but radial loads will wear them & hence more maintenace.

Last edited by altd896; 10-07-2013 at 07:06 PM.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #220
RCC Addict

Nice work! So when is the solution gettin developed???VP bushings not a go? I'm running HPI olite & starting to notice a lil play in pinion.
Sticky voted
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote

AR60 Pinion Bushings vs Bearings vs Bushings Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bearings vs. Bushings Lentsnh2012 Axial Wraith 47 11-23-2013 09:55 AM
Bushings>Bearings sundayface Axial SCX-10 7 02-29-2012 09:40 AM
bearings or bushings ??? 48machinerulz Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 03-31-2007 02:28 PM