Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: AR60 Pinion Bushings vs Bearings vs Bushings Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Will do, I'm just hill climbing, I got mancaves roc412 1200kv just out of curiosity, going to test that on 3s and different gearings next week, probably will end up getting the rc4wd 2spd trans. I have a mattzilla koh tundra rig and the dmg 7, both on full vp axles and both heavy as can be. Would you recommend keeping the same pin n rings in both rigs due 2 weight? I will prob be runnin mmp's in both if I like the roc. This pin issue is top of the list though, I really hate tearing axles down after a little playing.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
savagebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: AR60 Pinion Bushings vs Bearings vs Bushings Thread

Anybody knows if there are needle bearings in that size? those should hold up pretty well
Pabust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

I've been looking at needle bearings. Can't seem to find any that meets all the dimensions. I can find the O.D and thickness that match but not I.D or the I.D and O.D that match but not thickness.

Any hints harley?
Goatsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #44
20K Club

Custom machined highest quality bushings. Bearings won't last, the size is just not there to facilitate the loads. The cost of the material was crazy, but its WAY harder than anything you can buy. Locomotives use this same stuff in place of bearings.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Custom machined highest quality bushings. Bearings won't last, the size is just not there to facilitate the loads. The cost of the material was crazy, but its WAY harder than anything you can buy. Locomotives use this same stuff in place of bearings.
Can I call 'dibs' on 10????

I just broke another RR Diff (non-heat treated). There was a little bit of slop at the front pinion. I pulled it all apart, replaced the diff with a RR Diff (heat treated this time), replaced the bushings, re-shimmed the pinion and buttoned it back up. With the higher powered Wraiths, a little wiggle can become a big wiggle pretty quickly. I'm assuming that's what caused the shaft to break on be diff gear. I was testing it out in the grass of my front yard when it happened, so it could t have been the terrain that caused it.

Rob said that the heat treated Diff should fair better because the outputs will have more give. Great guy, great company.
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Y wouldn't teflon bushings work? Too soft and possible melting? ?

savagebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

I see this popped up in the wraith forum, are people only haveing this problem in the majority of the wraith axled rigs? I did see where a member added another larger bearing inbetween the pinion gear and the inner bearing, wouldnt that solve the problems. Just curious if it's a design flaw in the axles, or just more power being put through the axles than can be handled..?
badBKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #48
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by badBKO View Post
I see this popped up in the wraith forum, are people only haveing this problem in the majority of the wraith axled rigs? I did see where a member added another larger bearing inbetween the pinion gear and the inner bearing, wouldnt that solve the problems. Just curious if it's a design flaw in the axles, or just more power being put through the axles than can be handled..?
The problem existed in AX axles before too but the amount of people running big power was much less.

Another bearing would help but it is smaller and therefore adds only a small amount of additional support. And again, bearings fail catastrophically which is never good.

The only fix is bushings or larger bearings. Without a new housing design, which isn't completely out of the realm of reality, bushing are going to be the fix.

Hopefully I can get these new pieces installed tomorrow!
Old 05-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

Sounds like I am going to need some of your mystery bushings. ROC412 3100Kv on 3s is close enough to Pro4 power.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #50
RCC Addict

Copper Alloy No. C86300?

Check out that hardness

C86300 Manganese Bronze - SAE 430 B
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #51

Harley If your fix works well I would like some of your bushings If you have plenty. I have had the same bearing trouble on my rig also. I have burned through two sets in each axle, and two sets of gears. I was able to salvage gears on two of the bearing failures. I dont compete or anything so I dont need them like other guys do.
tnspark82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #52
20K Club

I will not be the one selling these, you'll all know where to get them soon enough.

I got them put in the front axle last night but ran out of time before I could get the rear axle installed.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #53
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I will not be the one selling these, you'll all know where to get them soon enough.

I got them put in the front axle last night but ran out of time before I could get the rear axle installed.
See... you should have shared that a while ago. At least now we know why you are being so elusive.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

I'm in need of these too, I've already been through several sets of gears and bearings from Fast Eddy.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephas View Post
See... you should have shared that a while ago. At least now we know why you are being so elusive.
When you fly that many flags, your motivation to provide information is clear.
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

I finally swapped my bearing (outer), bushing (inner) combo out and found a almost destroyed overdrive gear set in the front axle. The rear axle was nice and snug still. Both axles now have bushing/bushing in them. Patiently awaiting more info on these ones Harley is testing. My rig is running a ROC412 3100Kv w/ 56/12 gearing on 3S most of the time. I don't think taking off and accelerating is overloading the bearings as much as, it's when I stop/slow down and the drag brake start kicking in. Anyway, hoping this new stuff helps out greatly.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

I just want to throw this question out there. I have a Tekin Redline 13.5T and Tekin RS ESC. I run only 2S so my question is will I be okay with bearings or is it a good idea to upgrade to bushings anyway? I have a beefy HR trans with all the RR gears except a top gear, that is the stock one. I run MIP drive shafts.

The gears I am using are the stock axial Wraith kit gears and so far they look good after a few hard runs using 2S. I am guessing 2S won't tear the bearings up as bad?

I have some new bushing out of a Kyosho Blizzard SR that I can if I should try. Right now I was thinking I have the Wraith to where I want it but maybe I don't....lol.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebeast View Post
I'm impatiently awaiting this news, I got 2 packs through a new set of traxxas bushings, I am running a mmp pro4 3300kv in my dmg koh #7 w over under gearing, I really dont go slow w it, didn't get all the way through pack 2 n the rear end started making "the noise " aaahhhh

lol
TheAxialNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoMan View Post
I just want to throw this question out there. I have a Tekin Redline 13.5T and Tekin RS ESC. I run only 2S so my question is will I be okay with bearings or is it a good idea to upgrade to bushings anyway? I have a beefy HR trans with all the RR gears except a top gear, that is the stock one. I run MIP drive shafts.

The gears I am using are the stock axial Wraith kit gears and so far they look good after a few hard runs using 2S. I am guessing 2S won't tear the bearings up as bad?

I have some new bushing out of a Kyosho Blizzard SR that I can if I should try. Right now I was thinking I have the Wraith to where I want it but maybe I don't....lol.
Bushings... All bearings wear out eventually. They just wear out faster with more 'juice'.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

If Axial is considering a replacement for the Wraith it should consider redesign the axles with bigger bearings and gears anticipating the possibility of using more powerful motors than the stock ones
Pabust is offline   Reply With Quote

AR60 Pinion Bushings vs Bearings vs Bushings Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bearings vs. Bushings Lentsnh2012 Axial Wraith 47 11-23-2013 09:55 AM
Bushings>Bearings sundayface Axial SCX-10 7 02-29-2012 09:40 AM
bearings or bushings ??? 48machinerulz Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 03-31-2007 02:28 PM