Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: JIA's IFS Ultra4 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
06 Super National Champ

Default JIA's IFS Ultra4 build

We got to Hawaii and it didn't take long for DTP and Kila to get us back into crawling.

Started with a Wraith kit and built that with electronics donated by DTP and Kila. That was to be Jeff's rig. He drove it and decided he liked his old AX-based rig that's in our household goods better, but he kept driving the Wraith.

Megan decided she wanted her own rig, but she wanted something more along the lines of her old 1.9 Chevy, so she got a RTR Honcho.

THEN one of the local guys had a Wraith listed on CL with VP stuff, lipos, charger, and some other stuff. Price was a steal so I picked that thing up.

I wanted to build an Ultra4 rig with the Wraith, but with the Exo front end.

So I bought an Exo.

Pics tell the story. I'm staying in a hotel right now. Hack saw, cordless Dremel, cordless screwdriver with a few hex bits, X-acto, and pliers were the tools used.

JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: JIA's Wraith build

That is badass, all that done with just those tools? Will be watching for more.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Holy crap!! Details details details!!! Des the 4wd work?any pics of where you cut and exactly how you mounted everything? That's exactly what I have been wanting!!

Last edited by tcm glx; 06-14-2012 at 11:45 PM.
tcm glx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post

That is badass, all that done with just those tools? Will be watching for more.
Yeah, it didn't take long, either. Did it while watching the Heat/Thunder game. Mostly watched the game.

Here's the actual tools used. I never used pliers. Or that tape measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm glx View Post
Holy crap!! Details details details!!! Des the 4wd work?any pics of where you cut and exactly how you mounted everything? That's exactly what I have been wanting!!
Don't have the 4WD ran yet. Will get that going here in a few. My good camera is charging so I'll get detail shots of everything tomorrow.

I placed the Wraith rear and Exo front next to a stock Wraith, eyeballed where I needed to cut the Exo chassis and made the cut. Removed the top center section of the Wraith cage, removed the tranny, and put the Exo chassis and front suspension back in place to mark the four holes for the transmission bolts. Drilled those, bolted the transmission/Wraith chassis/Exo chassis together with longer screws (4mm chassis thickness requires longer screws to be used here) then drilled other holes in the Exo chassis and Wraith skid to strengthen it all before working on the front end. Bolted the top center section of the Wraith cage back in place and started on the front tube work.

I tied the Wraith cage to the Exo front end with a mix of the Wraith and Exo front tube pieces.

I cut each Wraith "main frame side" (AX80074) down about an inch on the front. I cut these JUST in front the forward mounting point for the front shock hoops (AX80077[2]).

I cut the Exo cage "center top and front" (AX80110) right behind where the step is at the rear of each leg. I then fish-mouthed the legs so they could bolt to part number AX80076[2] on the Wraith cage. I used a Sharpie to mark where thru holes needed to be drilled in the Wraith piece to bolt the Exo piece in place. Be careful here, there's a screw that comes up into the stock Wraith part (AX80076) and you'll need to make sure you're above that screw. Or use a slightly shorter screw.

Exo part number AX80110 bolts in place just like in the Exo instructions to the front shock tower. At the rear the legs bolt to Wraith AX80076 using the holes drilled earlier.

The Wraith shock hoops were also re-used in their stock locations. There's a small hole on each side of the Exo center and top front (AX80110) that is like the Wraith sway bar holes. I marked/drilled the Wraith main frame to run a 3mm screw into these holes.

With the whole thing bolted together, it's solid.

I wanted to use the stock Wraith front bumper and lights so I placed the piece over the Exo upper bumper mount, marked the area to be removed, and cut. This means it'll just require a longer screw to mount the Wraith bumper/lights on the Exo bumper/skid.

I'll get pics to clarify things later. It's not hard at all, but there's a bit of rake in the thing now. The rear sits a little higher than the front. I know this will change as batteries and crap are placed, but for now I ran the pre-load all the way down on the front shocks. I'll sort out suspension once it's running. I'm using borrowed electronics for now so everything is in flux until I get a definite setup.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 06-15-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thqnka Jason, pics would be great.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

looks awesome
theloudone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Im Brandon

Nice job Jason!

If you are ok with non-beadlock wheels up front stretch those tires over the EXO wheels to keep the front width in check.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
We got to Hawaii and it didn't take long for DTP and Kila to get us back into crawling.

Started with a Wraith kit and built that with electronics donated by DTP and Kila. That was to be Jeff's rig. He drove it and decided he liked his old AX-based rig that's in our household goods better, but he kept driving the Wraith.

Megan decided she wanted her own rig, but she wanted something more along the lines of her old 1.9 Chevy, so she got a RTR Honcho.

THEN one of the local guys had a Wraith listed on CL with VP stuff, lipos, charger, and some other stuff. Price was a steal so I picked that thing up.

I wanted to build an Ultra4 rig with the Wraith, but with the Exo front end.

So I bought an Exo.

Pics tell the story. I'm staying in a hotel right now. Hack saw, cordless Dremel, cordless screwdriver with a few hex bits, X-acto, and pliers were the tools used.

Any chance you would sell that Exo cage and body? I've been looking for one to put on my Losi SCTE chassis.
MX304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Pretty cool, thanks for the detailed description and waiting for more pics.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
06 Super National Champ

MX304, I'm keeping all parts.

Just got this thing out to mess with. As promised, a pic showing how it's all tied together. Pretty simple. Whenever I get the urge I'll clean up the cut-off portion of the Wraith side chassis and round it down. Not bothering with it now.

Even though I'm in a hotel and working with limited tools, I'm looking for a way to tie the Exo steering posts to the aluminum chassis plate. I think Axial missed the mark on the Exo's steering. The lower steering post mounts should've been mounted to the aluminum chassis plate instead of the soft plastic sides.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
06 Super National Champ

Default Re: JIA's IFS Wraith build

Another Exo part that might get put to use until I can start the real build.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
06 Super National Champ

More work.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Can we get some pics of where and how the frame mounts.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:26 AM   #14
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm glx View Post
Can we get some pics of where and how the frame mounts.
Not sure I understand what you're looking for. Where the frame mounts to...what?

Maybe this will help.

This is the Wraith chassis with the Exo top center brace bolted in place. The Exo brace bolts to the back side of the Exo shock tower.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #15
WOOPOOW!!

From GA to the scary land of volcanoes and palm trees Wraith is looking awesome, and very different from any wraith before it! I expect nothing less from you JIA. Keep up the good work, glad to see you back at it
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:32 AM   #16
06 Super National Champ

Thanks man.

Was cleaning up the room a bit (searching for the damn steering servo that was right in front of me) and decided to see how it flexes while empty.

It does alright.

Now that I've found the servo I guess I'll start sorting out the steering.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #17
06 Super National Champ

Steering is done.

Stuck a Traxxas servo in the stock Exo servo mount and mounted it in the stock Exo servo location.

I used small pieces of the Exo's plastic chassis plates to mount the posts for the steering bellcranks.

Then entire steering assembly is from the Exo -including the servo saver that's built into the bellcrank. It'll do for now.

Bottom view.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:26 AM   #18
06 Super National Champ

Sizing things up out back.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
Not sure I understand what you're looking for. Where the frame mounts to...what?

Maybe this will help.

This is the Wraith chassis with the Exo top center brace bolted in place. The Exo brace bolts to the back side of the Exo shock tower.

Sorry man, meant where yu cut the exo chassis, how does the exo chassis bolt up to the wrath chassis. A pic from underneath would be awesome.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Very cool project! Can't wait to see how it runs.
MX304 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/388684-jias-ifs-ultra4-build.html
Posted By For Type Date
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Axial Wraith This thread Refback 03-01-2013 02:33 PM
Axial Racing - Project Wrexo – Bender’s Latest Custom Build This thread Refback 02-18-2013 03:40 PM

JIA's IFS Ultra4 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solid axle Ultra4 build JasonInAugusta Axial Wraith 79 07-08-2013 09:32 PM
DTP's KOH IFS Ultra4 DISTURBIN' tha PEACE Scale Videos! 7 12-20-2012 09:21 AM
JIA's IFS KOH Ultra4 Wraith Conversions JasonInAugusta Chassis and Suspension 77 11-10-2012 10:27 PM
IFS axial build red_zook General Scale Talk 6 04-28-2012 08:43 AM
Ultra4/KOH build of doom Ruff11 2.2 Scale Rigs 14 10-10-2011 08:11 PM